Did anyone ever argue about the sausage(s)?

It's getting worse. What happens when you are on a, say, 10 day exercise? Is there a KFC van that follows you about - suitably camouflaged I presume.
You're either on ORP or eat at an RLC-run facility in an HQ.

ETA: being Monkeys, we always used to send the Section DonR down the road to find the nearest schnelly. There are advantages to being in an organisation with a plethora of vehicles cutting around the exercise area!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yup, me! But then I'm 6'3" tall and built like the proverbial. Agree about the WRAC cooks, well some of them, there was a tiny minority who were shaggable, I know this as I married one.
I went out with one, briefly. That's where I learnt that there is an art form to going out on the lash, getting in steaming at 0400 hrs, then going on earlies iot cook breakfast - and all without vomming up as you were frying eggs!! Respect.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Best food was either on the large exercises where the ACC did us proud - they always rose to the challenge then or when doing the special guard type stuff - two weeks in the middle of nowhere on some ammo storage or whatnot. Compo with lots of fresh stuff, cook whatever you want - there was always someone who could rustle up something decent. I remember one near Hanover, stunning weather for the whole time so spent most of the downtime snoozing in the sun, place to work out, beautiful countryside to run around and great food.

Best food was either on the large exercises where the ACC did us proud - they always rose to the challenge then or when doing the special guard type stuff - two weeks in the middle of nowhere on some ammo storage or whatnot. Compo with lots of fresh stuff, cook whatever you want - there was always someone who could rustle up something decent. I remember one near Hanover, stunning weather for the whole time so spent most of the downtime snoozing in the sun, place to work out, beautiful countryside to run around and great food.
We would have 1 egg op per Engineer troop.

All went well for 8 weeks on a long ‘engineer concentration’ exercise.

As the troop comd I rarely ate with the troop, as I would be recceing two tasks ahead and living off 4 man rat packs with my Spartan driver, or schnellies. On the odd occasion I made it back close to meal time, the egg op would greet me with a mug of all in stew.

What I hadn’t known was that he’d been cooking all in stew for 8 weeks.

ENDEX was called at midnight and he was warned off to cook a non tactical breakfast the next morning.

Yep. All in stew.

The troop NCOs convened a kangaroo court and justice was served.

My troop staffy apparently* became a legend when, on the squadron net, he said “send me another cook, this one’s split”.

The HQ Troop Staff Sergeant appeared a few hours later with a new cook and orders that my troop staffie was posted to the training wing with immediate effect, awaiting his promotion to QMSI. The HQ troop staff sergeant became my new troop staffie.

We had pizza that night :)

* i say ‘apparently’ because I was asked to vacate myself from the harbour area for a while, in the guise of a spurious harbour recce. So I missed all the activity.

We would have 1 egg op per Engineer troop.

All went well for 8 weeks on a long ‘engineer concentration’ exercise.

As the troop comd I rarely ate with the troop, as I would be recceing two tasks ahead and living off 4 man rat packs with my Spartan driver, or schnellies. On the odd occasion I made it back close to meal time, the egg op would greet me with a mug of all in stew.

What I hadn’t known was that he’d been cooking all in stew for 8 weeks.

ENDEX was called at midnight and he was warned off to cook a non tactical breakfast the next morning.

Yep. All in stew.

The troop NCOs convened a kangaroo court and justice was served.

My troop staffy apparently* became a legend when, on the squadron net, he said “send me another cook, this one’s split”.

The HQ Troop Staff Sergeant appeared a few hours later with a new cook and orders that my troop staffie was posted to the training wing with immediate effect, awaiting his promotion to QMSI. The HQ troop staff sergeant became my new troop staffie.

We had pizza that night :)

* i say ‘apparently’ because I was asked to vacate myself from the harbour area for a while, in the guise of a spurious harbour recce. So I missed all the activity.
How did he last one week, let alone eight?

Niamac

GCM
Absolutely agree. The Squadron Cook Corporal Mangan of blessed memory could, with a bit of help when required, feed us like Lords. Of course the dreaded words "Prepare to move" put paid to a few good meals but that's the Army.

Worst food I ever experienced was in the Cambridge Military Hospital, a couple of cheap fish fingers, a scoop of Smash and a spoonful of peas, looked like it was cooked by Florence Nightingale and kept warm till 1995.

We climbed out the window of the TV room and went down town for a Tony's special . ( most of the patients in the CMH were put there by Tony's food in the first place )

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Worst food I ever experienced was in the Cambridge Military Hospital, a couple of cheap fish fingers, a scoop of Smash and a spoonful of peas, looked like it was cooked by Florence Nightingale and kept warm till 1995.

We climbed out the window of the TV room and went down town for a Tony's special . ( most of the patients in the CMH were put there by Tony's food in the first place )
Now, if you'd been a member of a proper Corps, you'd have had your choice of the menu. I spent a week on BMH Munster after I'd managed to smash my leg in 4 places, huge fry up for breakfast, a decent sized lunch and steak and chips every night, all served to me in my private room with colour TV and video player :mrgreen: Being a chef in the Army does indeed have it's perks!

Now, if you'd been a member of a proper Corps, you'd have had your choice of the menu. I spent a week on BMH Munster after I'd managed to smash my leg in 4 places, huge fry up for breakfast, a decent sized lunch and steak and chips every night, all served to me in my private room with colour TV and video player :mrgreen: Being a chef in the Army does indeed have it's perks!
We wouldn't have got a chit for a broken leg in 4 places, the MO would have given us two Brufen and told us to run it off.

Light duties was only awarded if you had a valid death certificate.

Do you both eat out a lot?
Obviously not as much as some!:oops:

'Joey Chestnut repeated as men’s champ at Nathan’s Famous July Fourth hot dog eating contest Saturday in Coney Island, gobbling a record 75 wieners and buns in 10 minutes en route to an astounding 13th Mustard Yellow Belt.

'Chestnut, 36, whose powerful chops earned him the nickname “Jaws,” turned candy apple red as he shoved dog after dog in his mouth, gorging at a blistering pace — at one point clearing 10 meat sticks and buns a minute as he shattered his 2018 record of 74.

'As time was called, a sweaty Chestnut stood up, walked over to a microphone, and patted his gut. “There is still room,” he declared. “I’m bloated, but I still feel very comfortable. Tired,” added Chestnut, who has now claimed 13 of the past 14 annual contests.'

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Obviously not as much as some!:oops:

'Joey Chestnut repeated as men’s champ at Nathan’s Famous July Fourth hot dog eating contest Saturday in Coney Island, gobbling a record 75 wieners and buns in 10 minutes en route to an astounding 13th Mustard Yellow Belt.

'Chestnut, 36, whose powerful chops earned him the nickname “Jaws,” turned candy apple red as he shoved dog after dog in his mouth, gorging at a blistering pace — at one point clearing 10 meat sticks and buns a minute as he shattered his 2018 record of 74.

'As time was called, a sweaty Chestnut stood up, walked over to a microphone, and patted his gut. “There is still room,” he declared. “I’m bloated, but I still feel very comfortable. Tired,” added Chestnut, who has now claimed 13 of the past 14 annual contests.'

It's not him eating more than one sausage that make me feel that this kind of gluttony, albeit in the spurious name of a 'record', is a bit nauseating.
I'm not a snowflake neither am I woke. Except in the meaning that I am awake to type this and have been awake since 07:00 as is my habit.
Fat gluttonous septics piss me off, time for a cuppa.

Latest Threads