Did anyone ever argue about the sausage(s)?

One chef behind the hotplate at Monty lines lost his mind and shouted out " don't you people ever eat anything but chips " everyone looked around at each other at this ridiculous question and another bin load of chips arrived and every one carried on .

Chips, chips , chips , chips, chips.
Arnold Wesker Walt!

Kenyan ones called Farmer's Pride. Utterly gopping. Nothing but pink toothpaste textured tasteless shit in a plastic tube.

Local butcher here does good ones but this is SA. You'd battle to find a bad one here as long as you avoid the budget stuff. Even better for me is dried boerewors, basically sausage biltong. Utterly lush and a couple of yards broken up and stuffed into a grenade pouch or filling one magazine pouch of my fishing vest (the other two are for flies and a can of beer) does the job admirably.

Walk into any butchery in thse parts and this will be found behind the counter, along with a similar rack filled with hanging biltong.
Boerwors is great. As is homemade biltong.

Euclid

War Hero
The messes at the DA are much, much better than the majority of other messes because the DA has a high number off people using the Messes, so you get food that is half decent, as well as interaction with other people.

You should try going to a backwater mess with only a couple of dozen members. It's grim.
Food was actually very good which was the saving grace.

Probably with fish meal.
If you want a real fish-tasting egg, you need to try penguin eggs, also available in that neck of the woods.
I had them twice in Port Howard. Once fried, once as an omelette. Never, ever again!
The other thing with penguin eggs is the albumen (white) remains translucent even when the egg is cooked.
There are things called 'gugas', which are gannet chicks. They are considered such top scoff in parts of the Outer Hebrides that the fishermen and crofters are prepared to go to considerable personal risk scaling up cliffs and fighting off enraged, large and vicious adult gannets in order to obtain them.

To normal human beings they would be revolting and utterly unfit to feed to a cat. What is something that has lived entirely off regurgitated oily fish going to taste of, for goodness sake?

There is the added bonus of rendering uninhabitable any home in which the gugas have been cooked for a period of months.

Probably with fish meal.
If you want a real fish-tasting egg, you need to try penguin eggs, also available in that neck of the woods.
I had them twice in Port Howard. Once fried, once as an omelette. Never, ever again!
The other thing with penguin eggs is the albumen (white) remains translucent even when the egg is cooked.
Thanks. Just thanks. Had enough fun with penguins flying over their colonies watching them tip over onto their backs. Did that once with the local naturalist, Ian Strange, in the back, who went tonto for some reason.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Triangular section sausages in Malaya, had been packed in tins for ages, then stocks were rotated. Never did quite get used to them.

Blighters don't seem to want to talk about it.
For me, the saddest thing about PAYD was the demise of all the little eateries dotted around camps and garrisons in Germany; such as YMCA, TocH, Red Shield, etc. Places where you good get a decent light lunch, or a post session fry-up at the weekends outside of cookhouse/Mess meal times. It was a condition in the contract apparently.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Issi

War Hero
Has there ever been a slop jockey who wasn't filled in by a visiting rough type, for not allowing him to eat all he can?
Seems to be quite a common tale, it was mentioned early in this thread, and the tale I was told involved a bootie in St Angelo camp.

Has there ever been a slop jockey who wasn't filled in by a visiting rough type, for not allowing him to eat all he can?
Seems to be quite a common tale, it was mentioned early in this thread, and the tale I was told involved a bootie in St Angelo camp.
No, thats why army cooks were so ugly and looked like they had done 10 rounds with Henry Cooper. Even the WRAC cooks. In fact especially the WRAC cooks.

Niamac

GCM
For me, the saddest thing about PAYD was the demise of all the little eateries dotted around camps and garrisons in Germany; such as YMCA, TocH, Red Shield, etc. Places where you good get a decent light lunch, or a post session fry-up at the weekends outside of cookhouse/Mess meal times. It was a condition in the contract apparently.

It's getting worse. What happens when you are on a, say, 10 day exercise? Is there a KFC van that follows you about - suitably camouflaged I presume.

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I agree with Joker. However I only ever served with small units of less than a 100 (one was only 28 strong with 2 cooks) I couldn't give a rats arse what was taken. If, at the end of service the hotplate was empty, but all had had their fill, well, job done.

Been told even Sqn tea bars and rugby clubs were on the hit list

oldfecker

Clanker
PAYD was a disaster, however, it did open up opportunities.

As a pad, I only ate breakfast in the cookhouse after a night shift.

Rules were 3 protein items (egg/sausage/bacon), you could mix and match, so if you wanted 3 sausages, that’s ok, but no egg or bacon unless you agreed to pay an additional cost. You could help yourself to as many baked beans and chipped potatoes as you could pile on your plate, plus a slice of bread.

It became an art form hiding an extra sausage under chipped potatoes and making 2 or 3 rashers of bacon look like 1 when you presented your tray to the cashier (who was on minimum wages, so didn’t really care).

Management caught on, and if you took additional items, you were issued with a ticket to hand over to the cashier declaring the additional items. Not many remembered to hand over the ticket.

Small victories = happy times.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
No, thats why army cooks were so ugly and looked like they had done 10 rounds with Henry Cooper. Even the WRAC cooks. In fact especially the WRAC cooks.
Yup, me! But then I'm 6'3" tall and built like the proverbial. Agree about the WRAC cooks, well some of them, there was a tiny minority who were shaggable, I know this as I married one.

Latest Threads