Did anyone ever argue about the sausage(s)?

On Mount Kent in ‘84 the RAF cooks fed everyone (about 80 all ranks including my troop) from two 4-ring cookers.

Food was excellent and never a quibble over sausages.

The chief Crab also issued us some brand new RAF Gary Goretex as he said his guys were inside all day and didn’t need it so much.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Or asking Jarrod whether he's had more than one sausage
well his NBC proofed passion wagon has its own love dungeon.

I remember one unit I was sent to where as per my usual SOP I used to go help the cooks when I had nothing else to do, good fun having egg cracking races and such and saved me getting dicked for regular KPs when they realised I could actually cook.

could eat what I wanted all night then come the breakfast queue - one fcuking sausage.

one day I was due to do range cover so went to get a few norgies of tea/coffee for the ambo for morale purposes as it was a rotten day and I'd got the lads some biccies - cos I'm nice like that and the idiots think they can trust the nicer medic who has a box of special magic plasters and non stingy boo boo cream.

up comes previous nights duty cookie with a 'Here you go GG just how you like em - shame to chuck em otherwise. Thanks for the help last night preciated.'

and Lo half a black bag full of well cooked snorkers and crispy bacon, a loaf of bread and some tommy K.

Me and scotty the driver - scoffed the lot while staring out at the pouring rain - I could have put an extra two pouches on my belt kit that afternoon I reckon.
Snorkers!! Good Oh! Didn't bother you a bit to scarf down that lot before you ran out that silver bullet of tea to the lads at the range, I daresay. :razz::wink::wink:

Stanley Baker.JPG

Euclid

War Hero
Newly contractorised Officers mess at a certain training establishment.

Mess committee meeting with the Serco twat.

Item 3 on agenda - sausages.
Me. Are officers allowed to substitute a piece of bacon with an extra sausage?

Sector Twat. No - it’s not permitted under the contract

Me. If there are two officers at the hot plate and one doesn’t want a sausage, can he give that away to the other officer?

ST. No - it’s not permitted under the contract.

Me. Can every officer who doesn’t want a sausage, take one, then put it in a plate at the end of the hotplate with a sign saying ‘help yourself’?

ST - No, contract, etc.

Me. Okay. Can an officer who doesn’t want a sausage take one anyway, then give it to another officer at the table?

ST. No. Contract. Etc. You know that we don’t make any money on this at all and have to control costs.

Me. Well you bid on it you twats. Can’t you do maths?

Niamac

GCM
Newly contractorised Officers mess at a certain training establishment.

Mess committee meeting with the Serco twat.

Item 3 on agenda - sausages.
Me. Are officers allowed to substitute a piece of bacon with an extra sausage?

Sector Twat. No - it’s not permitted under the contract

Me. If there are two officers at the hot plate and one doesn’t want a sausage, can he give that away to the other officer?

ST. No - it’s not permitted under the contract.

Me. Can every officer who doesn’t want a sausage, take one, then put it in a plate at the end of the hotplate with a sign saying ‘help yourself’?

ST - No, contract, etc.

Me. Okay. Can an officer who doesn’t want a sausage take one anyway, then give it to another officer at the table?

ST. No. Contract. Etc. You know that we don’t make any money on this at all and have to control costs.

Me. Well you bid on it you twats. Can’t you do maths?
Crikey, what's happened to the Army. Are officers really putting up with this kind of nonsense?

What the hell is wrong with them? Your mess is your home.
Pay As You Dine transferred all power from the Army to contractors.
You can't give orders to contractors unless it's in the contract. You used to be able to direct how the mess ran when it was run by Soldiers.
The contracts were written to save money for the MOD.

So we get the worst service Serco can get away with under a contract that was written to be as cheap as possible, whilst taking away from Mess members any ability to influence how their mess is run.

All that can be done now is to raise objections when the contractor fails to meet the standards of the contract. Which is a much lower bar than it used to be.

Messes are no longer the home. They are simply a Travelodge used by those who don't have their own houses close enough to work. Everyone is also now too busy to use the mess socially (which they are); the old days of drinking most nights are well and truly gone. Messes are now just the block, but for Officers.

the bacon at some units used to scare me.

I worked at malton bacon factory the summer before I went full time so was very intimate with the process from pig to packet and I have no idea which part of the pig if indeed it was regular pig they made army bacon from, come to think of it when was chernobyl?

and how the fcuk can you get the yolk of an egg rock hard while the white stays runny - its against the laws of physics.

where's joker - answers must be had.
The eggs in Lookout Camp in Stanley tasted of fish. Presumably, because that's what the locals fed their chickens with.

Crikey, what's happened to the Army. Are officers really putting up with this kind of nonsense?
mid 80s the JRM at waddo was service run but shite, one day the troops just stopped eating, the shit hit the fan and the WO posted in 24 hours, new man posted in and turned it around, whilst it would be hard, if the contracters are losing any profit what so ever they would buck up or just go under.

Euclid

War Hero
Pay As You Dine transferred all power from the Army to contractors.
You can't give orders to contractors unless it's in the contract. You used to be able to direct how the mess ran when it was run by Soldiers.
The contracts were written to save money for the MOD.

So we get the worst service Serco can get away with under a contract that was written to be as cheap as possible, whilst taking away from Mess members any ability to influence how their mess is run.

All that can be done now is to raise objections when the contractor fails to meet the standards of the contract. Which is a much lower bar than it used to be.

Messes are no longer the home. They are simply a Travelodge used by those who don't have their own houses close enough to work. Everyone is also now too busy to use the mess socially (which they are); the old days of drinking most nights are well and truly gone. Messes are now just the block, but for Officers.
Had various meals in Kitchener Hall at Shriv a couple of years ago. Came across the concept of an ‘enhanced’ breakfast. Normal breakfast with the addition of some stuff like yogurt for an extra 80p or something. And a fcking till in the middle of the dining room.

At lunch there was a sentry manning the salad bar. You could substitute your veggies for salad. BUT - only certain salad items and definitely not any tomatoes.

Bar shutters came down like a guillotine at 11pm sharp. Gone are the days of JDSC or Div III at Shriv when you just had a whip round at 11 and the barman would stay there till the small hours.

Niamac

GCM
Well that's all a revelation to me. I suppose I can understand training establishments having that sort half-arsed arrangement but what about Regimental messes?

Never had to worry about additional sausages - never more so when at 12 Armd, Mercer Barracks, Traz.

Shared the place with 4RTR and we had haggis on the menu every day - I fucking love haggis.

Nomnomnom...

Well that's all a revelation to me. I suppose I can understand training establishments having that sort half-arsed arrangement but what about Regimental messes?
Ditto.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I remember Army Cookhouses were pretty much crap in the Seventies. Improved a hell of a lot in the Eighties, and were brilliant by the Nineties.

Its sad that things seem to have fallen far bellow what they were in the Seventies. Thats progress I suppose. And they wonder why retention is poor.

Had various meals in Kitchener Hall at Shriv a couple of years ago. Came across the concept of an ‘enhanced’ breakfast. Normal breakfast with the addition of some stuff like yogurt for an extra 80p or something. And a fcking till in the middle of the dining room.

At lunch there was a sentry manning the salad bar. You could substitute your veggies for salad. BUT - only certain salad items and definitely not any tomatoes.

Bar shutters came down like a guillotine at 11pm sharp. Gone are the days of JDSC or Div III at Shriv when you just had a whip round at 11 and the barman would stay there till the small hours.
The messes at the DA are much, much better than the majority of other messes because the DA has a high number of people using the Messes, so you get food that is half decent, as well as interaction with other people.

You should try going to a backwater mess with only a couple of dozen members. It's grim.

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Never had to worry about additional sausages - never more so when at 12 Armd, Mercer Barracks, Traz.

Shared the place with 4RTR and we had haggis on the menu every day - I ******* love haggis.

Nomnomnom...
4RTR replaced Skins about 85, just as I left 12 Armd. They had a superb ACC team, obviously helped by them being my on my pay flick and we scratched each other's backs. I made sure their pay was right; when I was on duty, they fed me the stolen beans of a king. In fact thinking about it, I used to play Sergeant Major and Hunt the Cvnt Find the Lady with them.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
4RTR replaced Skins about 85, just as I left 12 Armd. They had a superb ACC team, obviously helped by them being my on my pay flick and we scratched each other's backs. I made sure their pay was right; when I was on duty, they fed me the stolen beans of a king. In fact thinking about it, I used to play Sergeant Major and Hunt the Cvnt Find the Lady with them.
Just a quick Q, did 12 Armd eat at Imphal Bks? Asking because when I was at Mercer with 1RGJ 90-92, 12 Armd ate with us.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just a quick Q, did 12 Armd eat at Imphal Bks? Asking because when I was at Mercer with 1RGJ 90-92, 12 Armd ate with us.
I didn't 82-5 (mainly cos I was a Pad). Cookhouse was between HQ building and 1 Green Howards in the bulk of Mercer.

The eggs in Lookout Camp in Stanley tasted of fish. Presumably, because that's what the locals fed their chickens with.
Probably with fish meal.
If you want a real fish-tasting egg, you need to try penguin eggs, also available in that neck of the woods.
I had them twice in Port Howard. Once fried, once as an omelette. Never, ever again!
The other thing with penguin eggs is the albumen (white) remains translucent even when the egg is cooked.

Latest Threads