Did anyone ever argue about the sausage(s)?

The best breakfast I ever had was served to me in the WOs & Sgts Mess at 22 Sig Regt. There was a young Cpl who worked in there when he wasn't being pinched by the Officers Mess, just so happens that Chief Chip lived in, so we got the best Chefs - he actually kept him away from the cookhouse so he wouldn't have his standards and enthusiasm lowered by the civvy pricks in there who were basically stealing a wage.

He genuinely took pride in what he produced, and was a talented chef. Used to cook most stuff to order as there was only about 10 livers in who ate breakfast regularly. He even remembered how people liked their items cooking.

Top lad - sadly, a rare beast nowadays.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
We had a chef cook at 29 AFA who said he was of gypsy stock. He was a really shite cook, but, on exercise he was great. We just never ate the mushrooms he foraged.

Pretending to work at RAF Fairford for the Air Tattoo many years back the OR cookhouse had a line on the left serving usual army breakfast, manned by a fat bloke sweating into the powdered eggs and muttering darkly to himself as he stirred away the scum layer on the uneaten baked beans .

On the other side, it being a yank base, was the USAF breakfast line. A stunning blonde lass, all teeth and tits, singing out about breakfast burritos and as much good coffee as you could get down you, with never less than 100 pairs of eyes to help her on her way.

September 1960, first weeks of trade training in Lincoln, for our tea we had lamb chops 2 each, and they were exceptional. the Chef Sgt was still at the hotplate and I went up to him and said those chops were lovely, he laughed and said they had all been rubbed with garlic, think it was the first time I had heard the word garlic, not a thing we had in the West riding.

ACC ' you don't know what you've lost till it's gone'.

Made these myself yesterday. I can eat as many as I like. In fact, I have two cooking as I type.

English breakfast sausage, because the peasants here have no idea how to make a sausage....what are all the spotty bits? is that the ash from the cook's cigarette?

syrup

LE
I had a fall out with the Chef at the Shat Al Arab over the one sausage rule.
I got pulled while taking a second sausage and asked if I could trade it for the bacon.
No was the answer but i could have as much egs and beans as I wanted.
So after that every morning I would pick up a plate walk dow the line and fill it with everything I was entitled to.
Then at the end of the line I'd sling it in the bin.
Their act came out one morning and had a go I pointed out I was only taking what his cook had told me I was entitled to.
Rumbled in for a while until he complained to.my boss who told me to stop upsetting them.

The food at Al Ammarah was far better even though the place was getting hit every day.
Some of the stuff in the Shat was awful
Once they brought the pizza place in I don't think anyone used the cookhouse that much after

I had a fall out with the Chef at the Shat Al Arab over the one sausage rule.
I got pulled while taking a second sausage and asked if I could trade it for the bacon.
No was the answer but i could have as much egs and beans as I wanted.
So after that every morning I would pick up a plate walk dow the line and fill it with everything I was entitled to.
Then at the end of the line I'd sling it in the bin.
Their act came out one morning and had a go I pointed out I was only taking what his cook had told me I was entitled to.
Rumbled in for a while until he complained to.my boss who told me to stop upsetting them.

The food at Al Ammarah was far better even though the place was getting hit every day.
Some of the stuff in the Shat was awful
Once they brought the pizza place in I don't think anyone used the cookhouse that much after
I quite enjoyed scoff at the Shat. But I suppose it depends which mob is running at the time.

I wouldn't touch that Pizza Hut with a 10 foot barge looking at the state of the chogies in there.

civvy

Old-Salt
At school our German teacher used to tell "jokes" in German to see who laughed. I can only remember one of them.

"All good things come to an end. Except a sausage which has two".

I was shit at German.

At the Int Corps depot (mid 80's, when it was still at Ashford) there were a lot of civvie staff in the cookhouse.

One morning I got told by one civvy jobsworth that I couldn't have a glass of milk as the milk "was for the cereals". I wasn't prepared to drink orange screech at that time of the day and I wanted a glass of milk.

I took the glass of milk and perused the cerals before dropping a single cornflake or rice crispy in the glass (can't remember which).

I can however remember the expression on the cnut's face when I smiled nicely at him and walked off with my milk. ;-)

At school our German teacher used to tell "jokes" in German to see who laughed. I can only remember one of them.

"All good things come to an end. Except a sausage which has two".

I was shit at German.

must.... resist.... tagging.... German... translator....

syrup

LE
I quite enjoyed scoff at the Shat. But I suppose it depends which mob is running at the time.

I wouldn't touch that Pizza Hut with a 10 foot barge looking at the state of the chogies in there.

We were only really there for breakfast most days we were out and about with a scoff bag
The pizza place arrived about 4 months into our tour so it probably was the novelty if it

Fox Bay, 84', attached to Royal Scots D Coy IIRC, got to know the slops very well. Every night a drunken fry up of unlimited sausages and bacon on a roaring No:1 cooker outside the OC's scratcher. Sausage bliss!

When in camp I only tended to bother with brunch on sundays and I’m pretty sure the hotplate was only loosely manned because I remember rummaging around in the bacon to find properly cooked rashers. I always preferred more bacon over more sausages.

Fecking amateurs the lot of you. Did you never learn?

I just used to take two, sometimes three sausages and cover them up with two slices of fried bread or a couple of rounds of toast, cover the lot in beans and or tomatoes job jobbed.

Sheesh, feckin schoolboys the lot of yer.....

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
We once had a Sgt over from Australia on Long Look staying with our Squadron in Germany.

Nice bloke. into his fitness so a good placement with an RCT unit. :cool:

He had been with us a couple of weeks in barracks and then off on exercise.

First morning hear his voice ringing round the Harbour Area.

Ah you cnuts serious!!! Can't you cook anything without boiling it in a litre of f"ucking oil?!

I think we broke him.
Ahhh... Memories of my first deployment to a RAF base. Two weeks of toast and jam for breakfast.

A couple of weeks later we were in Sardinia and had our choice of Messes to eat at, nobody went to the Brit Mess except to drink in the evening. Soft ice cream for breakfast with the Yanks was a bit of a shock as was the fact that they also drank coke for breakfast. Pretzels, Weisswurst, and beer with the Boxheads was a hit, as was Pasta and wine with the Eyeties.

Latest Threads