Did anyone emigrate because of the bans?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by mac1, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm seeing that a few pistol /semi auto rifle shooters on here happen to live in continental Europe. Did you coincidentally have a job/live there anyway which came in useful for continuing your sport, or did you up sticks as soon as you could post 1997/1988?

2. The ability to (more or less) freely practice my sport was a MAJOR consideration in me leaving the UK immediately after graduation.

I could have gone to the US (and then found a job, but we had essentially no funds), and I took the 1st job I was offered on the continent, and pay and conditions (and a medical issue) mean that we are still here.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It was a factor - but not as big a one as being offered a very good job abroad!

4. I moved to HK in May '97, which happened to coincide with the bans.

Fultons at Bisley handled the 'sale' of my guns - a worked up S & W 586 for PP1, a semi-auto factory-compensated Springfield in .40 S & W, and a POS Taurus or Llama in .380 ACP (it was so bad I've erased it from my memory).

I looked at starting to shoot again over here, but it's just too expensive.

5. It wasn't the main reason, it was however a factor, which due to events since the original decision to leg it, made in 89, has become more significant.
    A move to Switzerland would of course be even better. :D

6. Legged it for a better life and a good job right after uni (2001). Was half way through application for an FAC at the time. Landed in the land of Clogs and started afresh where I can have almost anything I want and there are friendly (even if sometimes clueless) staff at the local plod office.