Did anyone emigrate because of the bans?

I'm seeing that a few pistol /semi auto rifle shooters on here happen to live in continental Europe. Did you coincidentally have a job/live there anyway which came in useful for continuing your sport, or did you up sticks as soon as you could post 1997/1988?

The ability to (more or less) freely practice my sport was a MAJOR consideration in me leaving the UK immediately after graduation.

I could have gone to the US (and then found a job, but we had essentially no funds), and I took the 1st job I was offered on the continent, and pay and conditions (and a medical issue) mean that we are still here.

Alsacien

MIA
mac1 said:
I'm seeing that a few pistol /semi auto rifle shooters on here happen to live in continental Europe. Did you coincidentally have a job/live there anyway which came in useful for continuing your sport, or did you up sticks as soon as you could post 1997/1988?
It was a factor - but not as big a one as being offered a very good job abroad!

I moved to HK in May '97, which happened to coincide with the bans.

Fultons at Bisley handled the 'sale' of my guns - a worked up S & W 586 for PP1, a semi-auto factory-compensated Springfield in .40 S & W, and a POS Taurus or Llama in .380 ACP (it was so bad I've erased it from my memory).

I looked at starting to shoot again over here, but it's just too expensive.

It wasn't the main reason, it was however a factor, which due to events since the original decision to leg it, made in 89, has become more significant.
A move to Switzerland would of course be even better. :D

Legged it for a better life and a good job right after uni (2001). Was half way through application for an FAC at the time. Landed in the land of Clogs and started afresh where I can have almost anything I want and there are friendly (even if sometimes clueless) staff at the local plod office.