Did anybody 'enjoy' the First world war?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by supertravisbickle, Jul 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might seem a strange question but did anybody actually 'enjoy' fighting in the first world war? It always seems that almost all the soldiers were badly affected by it some way but there must have been some who thought it was one of the best times of their life? Especially the 'stormtrooper' types that ended up in the Freikorps after the war. any information/thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Yep, the Krupp family.

• Like Like x 3
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Field Marshal Haig, Lady Haig, and their tortoise Alan.

• Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. There was I wondering today if anyone had served WWI, WWII and Korea - he did the Boer War, WWI & WWII!

6. Plenty of "historians" From the 60's onwards made a nice living from criticizing men too dead to defend thier conduct in WW1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Try reading the 'Wipers Times'. There are also plenty of autobiographies of Tommies that suggest that many enjoyed parts of army life and routine.

I did a history module at uni in the 90s, Britain in the Age of Total War, and many previously held assumptions were deftly challenged.

• Like Like x 2
  8. The neutral (or is it neutered) Dutch and a number of British merchants had a whale of a time, they imported enough Portland cement to concrete all of Holland to a depth of eigth inches. Our lads were most impressed by the German pill boxes it built, we only had wriggly tin.

9. Compared with the industrial life of the working classes there was an awful lot to recommend service to a young man who fancied a life in the colonial era army, my own great grandfather had joined the Cheshires before the great war.

It's also a myth that soldiers lived in the trenches all the time, they only spent a few weeks at a time in the fighting positions before being rotated back to rest areas.

10. that bloke is harder than a coffin nail..

11. I did. Had a ******* great time of it.

12. Yup,- "Baaaaaaah.

Fuckin' TalkShite!!

• Like Like x 1