Did any US Forces Serve In The Falklands?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by DarkBlueLoggie, Nov 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a corollary to the "Did any British Forces Serve In Vietnam?" thread (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=25954.html) I was wondering if any US Forces served alongside HM Forces in the Falklands? I know equipment, eg Sidewinders, was supplied, and the use of an aircraft carrier was offered. I have heard rumours that SR-71 flights were stepped up to provide intelligence, and that they provided air to air refuelling over Ascension. I guess it was too short a war for any further involvement, eg exchanges?

2. I did my dissertation on the Falklands, and can say with some confidence that I never came across any referrence of any US service personnel, nor any of any other nations armed forces, who served in the Falklands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Not that I'm aware of, but the rumours persist about US contractors working for the Junta, and receiving "summary justice" for their trouble.

4. tsar Nikolas: noted, but............

Could be yet another example of British Military Urban Myth.................at the time, there were several stories of SAS/Para/Scots Guards (take your pick) taking at least 2 ex-US SF prisoner during the course of various actions.

A further story goes that, when a patrol from Hereford Gun Club laid hands on one of these people, he sadly died of ........well.............death, I s'pose.

*blocks on* none of this is confirmed. Naturally. *blocks off*

5. Though the rumour is they were argies who had learned english in america .Though nothing was ever proved though
    didnt stop scotland yard did it . Sure hollywood will tell us the truth . :lol:

6. I believe all of it

7. Never heard those stories before...I don't suppose they're 'insider information' stories are they? Have to say, after referencing some twenty odd books and god knows how many journals, I never came across any US soldiers.

8. some walter mitty once told me that two guys from the navy seals ST6 were on exchange with the SBS when the falklands happened.

probably not true, but i wouldn't be supprised if that was the case.

9. Ref the comment about the SEALs, there was a US Major called Kernan and a Canadian Captain on attachment with 3PARA when it was despatched southwards. I was told their respective governments were fine with them partcipating if they wanted, but the MOD then weighed in and put the mockers on it. They were both quite miffed apparently, and both were at Brize Norton when I went down to greet a mate back off the plane.

all the best

ExM

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Buck Kernan was commanding C Company and Ray Romses was 2ic B Company, 3 Para. Both tried their hardest to stay with the battalion but both of their governments were maintaining a position of neutrality at the time and they both had to leave. Kernan even spoke with the Chief of Staff of the US Army to try to persuade him but got no joy.

As for the story about 3 Para killing US mercenaries on Longdon, my view is that it's bullsh1te. I've spoken at length to the guy who claims to have done it and it doesn't really hang together. Read 'Green-Eyed Boys' by Weale and Jennings for a sensible analysis of what happened.

11. I remember reading an account of the war by an RAF officer doing an exchange tour with the Fleet Air Arm , on Sea Harriers. In it he explains how the US Marine Corps exchange officer also had to be left behind, very disappointed.

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

One of the reasons that the US mercenary myth took off is probably the mistaken idea tha all Argies are swarthy dagos with Zapata moustaches and an accent from a dodgy Sergio Leone western.

Some, particularly those with Tutonic antecedents, have blue-eyed blond haired Aryan looks, and as they did/do exchange trg with the United States their 'English' will obviously be tainted with an American twang. That many US television programmes are shown in the Argentine is obviously an influence too.

The 'SF' 601 and 602 Cdo units wore American uniforms & non-standard webbing and carried different weapons to the average Cabo, all of which add to the legend.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. No names, no pack drill but didn't a couple of snipers get the good news on Longdon? Heard from a reliable source back in 83 that they thought being US citizens would give them diplomatic immunity.

14. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There must have been one or two non British aboard some of the RFA!

• Like Like x 1
  15. ^ That's the story that got made public in Vince Bramley's book. Good read, written by a bloke who was on the ground etc etc but there's a certain amount of 'third hand' stuff that should be taken with a pinch of salt.