Did any Project Fear Predictions Materialise to be True?

Who, exactly, has insisted it has had no impact?

But given general pandemic issues, widespread HGV driver shortages, et al, it hardly seems to be a powerful force driving Venezuela-style shortages of everything, and isn't a first-order cause of the occasional gaps in random SKUs at my local Sainsburys (Newcastle Brown Ale is currently absent, but French President cheese is on special offer from an overflowing chilled cabinet... not exactly convincing evidence of the supply issues being strongly correlated with Brexit)

Given issues in Belgium, empty shelves in the US, et al it doesn't appear that we're significantly worse off than anywhere else.
Sounds like you agree with me: Brexit is a contributory factor in the shortages.

ACAB

LE
The US is having issues big enough to make headlines (see the NYT piece I posted), which may be serious or may be blown right out of proportion by folk wanting to blame Joe Biden for everything (he is, after all, apparently working in league with Satan to destroy the US... no, I'm not kidding, that's how demented some of his opponents are getting)
Biden is suffering from dementia and is not fit to be POTUS.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Sounds like you agree with me: Brexit is a contributory factor in the shortages.

Among many others, yes - but pretty much lost in the noise of bigger, more serious and more widespread issues.

It's just amusing how everything bad somehow has to be shoehorned into "...but it's at least partly Brexit!" by the more obsessed for cheap "gotcha!" efforts - regardless of consistency or coherency, and even when the outcomes are the polar opposites of the predictions of what Leaving would mean.

Remember when we were going to have mass joblessness and armies of the unemployed, because of Brexit? Now, we've got a catastrophic labour shortage... that is also apparently because of Brexit.

House prices were going to crash disastrously if we voted Leave... and now they're rising too fast, because we voted Leave.

Why, it's almost as if the most determined Remainers are committing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy...

Among many others, yes - but pretty much lost in the noise of bigger, more serious and more widespread issues.

It's just amusing how everything bad somehow has to be shoehorned into "...but it's at least partly Brexit!" by the more obsessed for cheap "gotcha!" efforts - regardless of consistency or coherency, and even when the outcomes are the polar opposites of the predictions of what Leaving would mean.

Remember when we were going to have mass joblessness and armies of the unemployed, because of Brexit? Now, we've got a catastrophic labour shortage... that is also apparently because of Brexit.

House prices were going to crash disastrously if we voted Leave... and now they're rising too fast, because we voted Leave.

Why, it's almost as if the most determined Remainers are committing the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy...
And in counterpoint, Brexit has hardly been the rip-roaring success Leave promised, and the impact of eg. Coronavirus is very helpful as a means of masking some of the issues following Brexit.

@TheSockPuppet If you read this in a month it will be "old" then as well. You're a wee bit slow aye?

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
And in counterpoint, Brexit has hardly been the rip-roaring success Leave promised,

All of Leave? Everyone who considered voting to leave?

Just trying to get a bit of consistency here - are we allowed to cherry-pick the lunatic fringe and say "that's the whole and entire Remain position!" or should we just stick to the official predictions?

To be fair, Leave had the advantage - or drawback - that there wasn't an official Leave position, with the whole point being that the referendum was meant to be an easy win for Remain after which the Eurosceptics could be ignored for a while... and some folk voted Leave, not because of dreams of unicorns paddling in chocolate rivers, but because remaining looked worse long-term than leaving.

and the impact of eg. Coronavirus is very helpful as a means of masking some of the issues following Brexit.

While in other cases, global issues get blamed as being "but Brexit!"

All of Leave? Everyone who considered voting to leave?

Just trying to get a bit of consistency here - are we allowed to cherry-pick the lunatic fringe and say "that's the whole and entire Remain position!" or should we just stick to the official predictions?

To be fair, Leave had the advantage - or drawback - that there wasn't an official Leave position, with the whole point being that the referendum was meant to be an easy win for Remain after which the Eurosceptics could be ignored for a while... and some folk voted Leave, not because of dreams of unicorns paddling in chocolate rivers, but because remaining looked worse long-term than leaving.

While in other cases, global issues get blamed as being "but Brexit!"
You seem so achingly desperate to score a point over me, you've neglected to note we are in broad agreement.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
You seem so achingly desperate to score a point over me, you've neglected to note we are in broad agreement.

Are we? I'm pointing out global issues, you're posting pictures claiming that every shortage in the UK is entirely down to Brexit (despite similar issues all over the place)

Not interested in "scoring points", just amused by the cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias.

Are we? I'm pointing out global issues, you're posting pictures claiming that every shortage in the UK is entirely down to Brexit (despite similar issues all over the place)
I'm making no such claim. I had thought I'd made my view perfectly clear.

Your comment about how you are

just amused by the cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias.

Is amusingly ironic.

And in counterpoint, Brexit has hardly been the rip-roaring success Leave promised,

Aye it is...

-1.jpg

Well there still seem to be a shortage of twigs, I've not got one in my house yet

Some swivel eyed boneheads actually believed that we'd never trade or do business with the EU once we left......they also voted to remain and now become tumescent over every tweet that implies that Brexit is the root of all evil.
Sad, desperate, needy and very probably, bi-polar.

Tyk

LE
To leave the EU...

Nope the contract award was post Brexit vote, but under the very remainer biased May government. Like all procurements of the type it had been ongoing for a considerable time and it was well before the actual Brexit.

I've worked extensively with Gemalto as a supplier, they're very good so they're likely to produce to spec, but they're not better than De La Rue.

Leaving the EU was the right thing to do as the EU will never reform and is increasingly wasteful, undemocratic and autocratic.

Latest Threads