Did any Project Fear Predictions Materialise to be True?

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
You're typing a great deal for someone who isn't upset.

I'm sorry, the only reason for typing is now "because one is upset"?

Really?

Come on, what am I supposed to be upset about?

I mean, you've got this deep insight into my beliefs, opinions and motivations... haven't you?

Truxx

LE
I'm asking you to explain why you believe that the effects of Brexit are suddenly having an impact, after almost two years, that they conspicuously failed to have immediately after Brexit - when one would reasonably expect those impacts to be at their greatest.
Immediately after Brexit?

Like the truck paperwork handling facility and massive truck holding areas set up in Kent to run from B+1 to handle the envisaged mahoosive backlog of stranded trucks with paperwork difficulties?

Facilities that had no takers and quietly shut up shop on B=21?

That sort of "impact"?

Perhaps I was as sceptical about the wilder claims of the more exuberant Leavers, as I was about the doom-laden prophecies of Vote Remain? I know the more fanatical True Believers can't countenance nuance or shades of grey, but - believe it or not - they do exist.
Apparently, putting an indefinite statement onto the side of a bus results in 17 millions people losing the ability to assess information and draw conclusions.

If putting stuff on the side of a bus is so effective, how come this didn’t work…?

A439BFB1-24EB-4E7F-9107-FDB8CFC3C35D.jpeg

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

Department of Health & Social Care budget in 2015/16; £136,900,000,000
Department of Health & Social Care budget in 2021/22; £159,000,000,000 (excluding Covid additions)

So, now we've left, we're spending an extra £425 million a week into the NHS - 20% more than the most optimistic promise that could be extrapolated from that bus. (And all this having been done under a Tory government alleged to be slashing healthcare funding, selling the NHS to US insurance companies, closing all the hospitals and sacking all the nurses, and so on and so forth)

Apparently that's a "broken promise" since, post-Brexit, we're now putting more into health & social care, than "that bus" claimed we would...

Department of Health & Social Care budget in 2021/22; £159,000,000,000 (excluding Covid additions)

So, now we've left, we're spending an extra £425 million a week into the NHS - 20% more than the most optimistic promise that could be extrapolated from that bus. (And all this having been done under a Tory government alleged to be slashing healthcare funding, selling the NHS to US insurance companies, closing all the hospitals and sacking all the nurses, and so on and so forth)

Apparently that's a "broken promise" since, post-Brexit, we're now putting more into health & social care, than "that bus" claimed we would...
Ah, yes.

I well remember the Leave camp making a great fuss about funding for the pandemic.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't know why Remainers are so upset about some writing on a bus when their side was pushing out this stuff:

Anyway, Remain lost because they had to construct weird and wonderful arguments to hide the uncomfortable truth that essentially their key message was: "We're alright Jack", which they generally were, no matter who else suffered. Then they were dumb enough to provide the perfect attack visual:

1635452186895.png

"NHS five-year funding deal​

In July 2018, the Prime Minister announced a new five-year funding deal that would see NHS funding rise by £33.9 billion in cash terms (ie, not adjusted for inflation) by 2023/24 compared to 2018/19, a rate of increase that is closer to, but still lower than, the long-term average."

350 million a week is 18.2 Bn a year.

In July 2018, the Prime Minister announced a new five-year funding deal that would see NHS funding rise by £33.9 billion in cash terms (ie, not adjusted for inflation) by 2023/24 compared to 2018/19, a rate of increase that is closer to, but still lower than, the long-term average."

"Some of the extra funding I am promising today will come from using the money we will no longer spend on our annual membership subscription to the European Union after we have left.

But the commitment I am making goes beyond that Brexit dividend because the scale of our ambition for our NHS is greater still."

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

And 2018 is after 2016.

QED.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah, yes.

I well remember the Leave camp making a great fuss about funding for the pandemic.

Since you make much of apparently carefully reading what I write, did you fail to see "excluding Covid additions" which are helpfully broken out in the link I sourced the data from? (which would make the figures even more amazing for "vote Leave, more money for the NHS" if you're sufficiently reckless with facts?)

"Some of the extra funding I am promising today will come from using the money we will no longer spend on our annual membership subscription to the European Union after we have left.
But not 18.2 Bn pa.

Since you make much of apparently carefully reading what I write, did you fail to see "excluding Covid additions" which are helpfully broken out in the link I sourced the data from? (which would make the figures even more amazing for "vote Leave, more money for the NHS" if you're sufficiently reckless with facts?)
I've used the exact same source some months ago.

You're doing it again, replying so rapidly and so fulsomely that you've not realised you're making my point for me

The NHS are not getting 350m*52 pa.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't doubt it

Leave voters academic achievements, etc

Well, quite.

For instance, a voter who got a BEng(Hons) in mechanical engineering, then worked through a MSc in systems engineering, and then lobbed in a MA in intelligence and international relations for fun, would obviously vote Remain, because with all that education the amazing glories of the EU would be undeniable.

Oh, right, it's the wrong sort of education, or something...

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't doubt it

Leave voters academic achievements, etc

What's that got to do crying about a message on a bus when both sides of the political campaign were spinning their respective lines pretty shamelessly (and the Government was co-opting the civil service into the Remain campaign) - which is generally what happens in political campaigns.

Latest Threads