Did any British Forces Serve In Vietnam?

Think of it this way.

The RAF was still quite big in those days.

If they’d sent lots of pilots to get combat experience, there’d have been a great big program and we’d know about it. Especially now, given that the Prime Minister had expressly said no to British involvement, it would have been the sort of thing to immediately hit the headlines the moment the 30-year Rule let it into the public domain.

Do you really think that they’d send just one?
Well USSF let a British Merchant seaman with no military experience go on secret missions in the jungle with MACV-SOG, so I suppose anything is possible Bob.

Pretty much all you need to know. See here:

PPRuNe

Think of it this way.

The RAF was still quite big in those days.

If they’d sent lots of pilots to get combat experience, there’d have been a great big program and we’d know about it. Especially now, given that the Prime Minister had expressly said no to British involvement, it would have been the sort of thing to immediately hit the headlines the moment the 30-year Rule let it into the public domain.

Do you really think that they’d send just one?
Perhaps he was really, really good.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sorry, boys, but not true.

Only official replacement medals will carry a stamped 'R' on the edge.

'Buy the bar' makes it a private purchase: thus, there is no 'rep' nor anything else.
It's a fair cop.
Don't think I've ever knowingly seen a replacement or private purchase clasp.
For some obscure reason I was in a good mood so said sometimes rather than bollocks.

To be honest I was thinking of the private purchase gongs, which I was told "had" to have "copy" on them.
I've seen them with copy on the reverse at the top, not visible if court mounted, but also with nothing on them indicating they're iffy.

I'm just glad I got over that fcuking mood !

Tongnye

Clanker
It's a fair cop.
Don't think I've ever knowingly seen a replacement or private purchase clasp.
For some obscure reason I was in a good mood so said sometimes rather than bollocks.

To be honest I was thinking of the private purchase gongs, which I was told "had" to have "copy" on them.
I've seen them with copy on the reverse at the top, not visible if court mounted, but also with nothing on them indicating they're iffy.

I'm just glad I got over that fcuking mood !
not really bollocks , am in Mater hospital in brisbane at the moment, when I get released will dig out vietnam bar with repl stamped onthe back,with receipt purchased from australian vietnam vets stall a couple of years back in Cairns!!it was common practise for whiteys from blighty ie Cre,59 or 54 sqn RE, up until may 64 to be sent toCrown by Herc,chainging plane in tan sohn hut ,travelling to Ubon by Australian transport planes, the operation crown built airfield was used after september 66 by air america, the RE,s who stayed on near long nok tha until 1968 building roads culverts and bridges, often hitched lifts down south for R and R,I was one of the few who actually was there at the times mentioned

not really bollocks , am in Mater hospital in brisbane at the moment, when I get released will dig out vietnam bar with repl stamped onthe back,with receipt purchased from australian vietnam vets stall a couple of years back in Cairns!!it was common practise for whiteys from blighty ie Cre,59 or 54 sqn RE, up until may 64 to be sent toCrown by Herc,chainging plane in tan sohn hut ,travelling to Ubon by Australian transport planes, the operation crown built airfield was used after september 66 by air america, the RE,s who stayed on near long nok tha until 1968 building roads culverts and bridges, often hitched lifts down south for R and R,I was one of the few who actually was there at the times mentioned
But it is bollox.

Just because someone privately purchased a medal clasp from a 'vets stall' still doesn't make it an official replacement for a clasp that had been officially awarded.

Can you see a theme developing here?

Re RAF/RAAF, I'd suggest the word 'attached' may be a tad wrong, more likely he was exRAF who joined RAAF then left. Ask to see his medals. Other than that, he was RAF in the Brit Embassy who did some work with the RAAF (which begs the question and why, when USAF were there - possible answer, UK non-involvement had pi$$ed-off US but Aust wasn't too worried about it.)

Reminds me of a great 'conversation' one of our signallers had in Borneo in 1966, using HF and in Sabah there was a bit of interference with a US net in SVN: US sig "Get off this means it's an operational net" UK sig (a jock) "So is this, and we're winning ours".

Re 1960s SAS in Borneo, an ex US Foreign Service guy wrote a book about Kompassus (Indon SF for the under-informed), in it there's an account of an episode when the SAS had a KIA. I have to say the Indon account rings true, and the SAS were 'editing the truth' somewhat, basically they were 'sprung' through sloppy drills.
Anyone have a link to the Kompassus book please?

Tongnye

Clanker
But it is bollox.

Just because someone privately purchased a medal clasp from a 'vets stall' still doesn't make it an official replacement for a clasp that had been officially awarded.

Can you see a theme developing here?
You would be surprised how many expats turn out on anzac and rememberance day parades wearing GSM with vietnam bar, lots of them get outed every year it seems to be a seasonal aussie veteran sport,

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
You would be surprised how many expats turn out on anzac and rememberance day parades wearing GSM with vietnam bar, lots of them get outed every year it seems to be a seasonal aussie veteran sport,
Just one bar ?
Amateurs.

Beat this:

Just one bar ?
Amateurs.

Beat this:
OK done.

1597380454189.png

Jack Keinzley - Masterton New Zealand

Nahhhhh this fake and impostor is a nephew of the famous Jack Keinzley - one of those imbeciles who like to pretend that he, similar to his famous uncle was a real veteran who had been involved in many conflicts. This clowns only service was as a "Seaman boy" for eight months before he was discharged in 1961 for failing Navy physical standards.

Jack Keinzley – the fake – resides in Masterton in the South East of the North Island. He has also spread lies around his hometown. When he worked as a cleaner at the Masterton hospital he told work mates about his service as a Navy diver who served in Vietnam another time when he was a patient at the same hospital he spread the word that he was having some shrapnel removed. This is his photo below

The real Jack Keinzley was a renowned New Zealand soldier who served as the Regimental Sergeant Major of Royal New Zealand Artillery Unit, 161 Battery in Vietnam in 1968. Here is a photo of the real Jack Keinzley, taken at Nui Dat in 1968.

OK done.

View attachment 496949

Jack Keinzley - Masterton New Zealand

Nahhhhh this fake and impostor is a nephew of the famous Jack Keinzley - one of those imbeciles who like to pretend that he, similar to his famous uncle was a real veteran who had been involved in many conflicts. This clowns only service was as a "Seaman boy" for eight months before he was discharged in 1961 for failing Navy physical standards.

Jack Keinzley – the fake – resides in Masterton in the South East of the North Island. He has also spread lies around his hometown. When he worked as a cleaner at the Masterton hospital he told work mates about his service as a Navy diver who served in Vietnam another time when he was a patient at the same hospital he spread the word that he was having some shrapnel removed. This is his photo below

The real Jack Keinzley was a renowned New Zealand soldier who served as the Regimental Sergeant Major of Royal New Zealand Artillery Unit, 161 Battery in Vietnam in 1968. Here is a photo of the real Jack Keinzley, taken at Nui Dat in 1968.

But did he claim to be in the British Forces serving in Vietnam? If not he is in the clear.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He apparently claimed everything else, but he must have forgotten that one.

You can't think of everything you know.
True, sometimes I don't think of aardvarks.

combatintman

War Hero
I had one clown on ANZAC Day a couple of years back in my RSL who said he'd been in Vietnam. I said, 'which medal is that then' - he pointed to his AASM 45-75 (or ASM 45-75) and said 'That one' my reply 'Why does the bar say Cyprus then?' I then told him to do one, which he promptly did.

Last edited:
There's certainly some belmers out there. This cretin was doing the rounds a few years back. Frank Ulyatt.

frankulyatt.jpg
ulyattmedals.jpg

This chap didn't bother with his homework either.

20200822_121041.jpg