Did any British Forces Serve In Vietnam?

Some one commented on how did I find out that some ex forces got medals. I was in Australia at the time of the Vietnam War, serving with dept of Rehabilitation which was responsible for repatriating servicemen injured in Vietnam. My job was to collect injured personnel off the USS America and HMS Melbourne (both aircraft carriers). On a couple of cassions, I had to travel back with British Servicemen injured, but there was no publicity whatsoever. So no one knew who they were. I eventually joined the Royal Military Police and served for 19 years, about four years after I left, I heard about several RMP who served in Saigon and most of them eventually got the bar 'Vietnam' on their GSM. About five years ago I bumped into a ex RAOC clerk, who told me that there were at least 20 military personnel at any time serving at the Embassy and most of them bought the bar.
There has been extensive research on this thread to prove that Embassy staff did nor receive the Vietnam service medal or bar which was awarded to ANZACS only. It was also established that about four soldiers from 22 SAS served with the Noone Mission in the Central Highlands of SVN in 1963. No other serving members of the British Forces served in a combat or advisory role in South Vietnam between 1965 - 75

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
About five years ago I bumped into a ex RAOC clerk, who told me that there were at least 20 military personnel at any time serving at the Embassy and most of them bought the bar.
Why didn't I think of that ?
That's me sorted for my VC now.

There has been extensive research on this thread to prove that Embassy staff did nor receive the Vietnam service medal or bar which was awarded to ANZACS only. It was also established that about four soldiers from 22 SAS served with the Noone Mission in the Central Highlands of SVN in 1963. No other serving members of the British Forces served in a combat or advisory role in South Vietnam between 1965 - 75
Apart from that merchant navy fella...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were talking shite 8 years ago:

And you're talking shite now.

As previously mentioned, several British Military were attached to Embassy in Saigon, but none of them received the GSM or bar, however I believe and I know several members of the RMP, RAOC, REME and RCT did get the medal after they left the forces. . . .
No, they didn't.

I believe several Special Forces were attached, but again no GSM. . .
Again, nope.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Tongnye

Clanker
Some one commented on how did I find out that some ex forces got medals. I was in Australia at the time of the Vietnam War, serving with dept of Rehabilitation which was responsible for repatriating servicemen injured in Vietnam. My job was to collect injured personnel off the USS America and HMS Melbourne (both aircraft carriers). On a couple of cassions, I had to travel back with British Servicemen injured, but there was no publicity whatsoever. So no one knew who they were. I eventually joined the Royal Military Police and served for 19 years, about four years after I left, I heard about several RMP who served in Saigon and most of them eventually got the bar 'Vietnam' on their GSM. About five years ago I bumped into a ex RAOC clerk, who told me that there were at least 20 military personnel at any time serving at the Embassy and most of them bought the bar.
Many did buythe bar which has rep(replacement) stamped on the back, as far as british troops(not brits serving in the australian army) injured in vietnam never happened!! british troops serving in north east thailand and Laos who got injured were casevacced to BMH Singapore, he occasional troop of 54 or 59 Sqn Royal engineers had a 6 hour stopover in saigon ,waiting for a connecting flight to Ubon on their way up to Crown ,Earlier in ths thread I published Black and white photo,s of said troops

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
My brother in law was RAF and sent to Nam for combat experience. He trained at Fort Benning and flew F105s. I have the photographs to prove it.
Think of it this way.

The RAF was still quite big in those days.

If they’d sent lots of pilots to get combat experience, there’d have been a great big program and we’d know about it. Especially now, given that the Prime Minister had expressly said no to British involvement, it would have been the sort of thing to immediately hit the headlines the moment the 30-year Rule let it into the public domain.

Do you really think that they’d send just one?

Latest Threads