Did any British Forces Serve In Vietnam?

I have recently come across this Int report amongst my relics.
Technically I think that would today be called a Supplementary Intelligence Report or SUPINTREP. Regardless, it is fascinating and TVM for posting it.

Technically I think that would today be called a Supplementary Intelligence Report or SUPINTREP. Regardless, it is fascinating and TVM for posting it.
I have more of that type of thing from that era and will post them as I find them before I throw them out.

I have more of that type of thing from that era and will post them as I find them before I throw them out.
Please don't throw them out - there is the Australian Intelligence Corps museum where I am at the moment and that would be the perfect home for these docs. I'll PM you a POC and address tomorrow.

Don’t know if it has been said previously..
According to Bernard FALL - a street without joy
A British Colonel was killed in an attack against Thanh-Phu island 17-19 jan 1963

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Don’t know if it has been said previously..
According to Bernard FALL - a street without joy
A British Colonel was killed in an attack against Thanh-Phu island 17-19 jan 1963
Seven times now, but as Septicspic says, it's in #164 by @chippymick :

Dear Cpunk.

Wing Commander Allan Lee was killed in Action 18th January 1963.

It is referenced in Bernard Fall's 'Street without joy' on page 364. as follows:

âAttack against VCâs Thanh-Phu Island stronghold in the Mekong Delta. Two helicopters with US crews destroyed; one British colonel killed.â

Fall misidentifies Lee as a Colonel, but close enough. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Lee was attached to DARPA. Also confirmed here

flyarmy.org

He met all the criteria for the award of the 1962 GSM with clasp South Vietnam as per the Royal Warrant. That is:

for service in South Vietnam from the 24th December 1962 to 28th May 1964.

Qualifying service are: 30 days service in ships employed in operations on inland waters and/or off the coast of Vietnam, one day or more on the posted strength of a unit on Land, one operational sortie, or 30 days for offical visits etc.

The usual concession is made regarding termination of service from death, wounds or an award of a gallantry decoration.

You can send my 50 quid here

Regards

Mick

I worked 'Long time Hong Kong' and saw the U.S. troops arrive for R&R, my how they earned it and HK did it's best for them.

I worked 'Long time Hong Kong' and saw the U.S. troops arrive for R&R, my how they earned it and HK did it's best for them.
Had great R&R in HK--fond memories of Royal HK Yacht Club sailing Bombardiers over in Repulse Bay and bought my GMT Master at the old China Fleet Club.

20180916_185108-1134x1158.jpg