Did any British Forces Serve In Vietnam?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Fair 1, I was just saying that he knows there were no Brits in Vietnam, so if it did, he would have known about it since he had a higher clearance than his Colonel. Why not squash instead of fuel the rumors! I know in Exocet by Jack Higgins, the main character is a SAS officer who mentions being in Vietnam!
Jack Higgins ?
As in Henry Patterson ?
A writer of fiction ?
(Much like the late and unlamented Peter Stiff.)

Ok, his main character was an SAS officer who mentioned being in Vietnam ?

Great, I've just written on a packet of Chesterfield that a Brit sldr served in Vietnam.

Is that proof enough for you ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was merely providing the evidence source. But I concede that it has been mentioned before, though without any corrobotive links. Arrse slapped, ouch, thank you for your intention :(
You want it slapped again, don't you ?
You naughty boy... You filthty, female-touching, pervert !

and there is the photo of SAS in Oman, with a Green Beret Master Sergeant holding a GPMG.
That photo was actually taken in the Radfan in the sixties. Lofty Large mentioned it in his book One Mans SAS. He was on attachment from Fort Bragg or Bad Tolz. The US State Department banned him from going, but he went anyway.

Nope, Dick Meadows of 'Son Tay' fame, which came after.
Reading Alan Hoe's excellent biography of Dick Meadows, he went to Oman in about 1961/62 when he did a years attachment at Hereford. They went to the Jebel Akhdar in Northern Oman over the battleground of the 1958/59 campaign. The picture mentioned of the USSF guy with the GPMG was taken in about 1966 in the Radfan. He was on attachment and went despite the State Department vetoing it. Its mentioned in Lofty Large's book and also by Ken Connor.

Charlie Beckworth?

Beckwith.

His family are long time friends with the family of a chap I know whose family attended Charlies funeral here in Texas. Said chaps dad served with Charlie as a badgeman. Said chap was then on Charlies first open Delta selection when he was serving as a Ranger in the 75th after time in Vietnam. The way he told me the tale was that they were doing their Ranger thing in Fort Lewis, Washington State when a few busloads of them were told to pack their kit and get on busses. The busses drove across country and arrived at Fort Bragg where they were accomodated and then buggered around from dawn to well after dusk. They all thought that they were on exercise, or some training thing, but wondered why almost daily blokes were vanishing from the accomodation.

After a few weeks it was down to around 20, or 30 blokes still left standing, my chap being one of them. Then they were all put into a building and taken out one at a time into a room with the DS sat around supping coffee and smoking, with Charlie behind the big desk. My chap tells me he marched in, saluted, and stood to attention. Charlie says, "you've known me since you were pissing in a pot, but you better tell me why I should let you into my unit".

My chap gave it WTF. Charlie laid it out. My chap turned it down cos his wife wouldn't like it. He's no wimp: Wounded in Vietnam, Silver star, purple heart, several other bits of bling, combat jump wings including a star for Grenada, State police, Texas Ranger, oldest bloke in Texas to pass the SWAT course at 63'ish. He got bored in retirement and works as a courts officer now. His dad was SF, he was SF, and his lad was SF in AFG...............and the fcuker whinges cos he has a grand daughter. That said his daughter in law participates in PRS snipey competitions and outshoots most of the military and plod boys who compete.

Last edited:
Beckwith.

His family are long time friends with the family of a chap I know whose family attended Charlies funeral here in Texas. Said chaps dad served with Charlie as a badgeman. Said chap was then on Charlies first open Delta selection when he was serving as a Ranger in the 75th after time in Vietnam. The way he told me the tale was that they were doing their Ranger thing in Fort Lewis, Washington State when a few busloads of them were told to pack their kit and get on busses. The busses drove across country and arrived at Fort Bragg where they were accomodated and then buggered around from dawn to well after dusk. They all thought that they were on exercise, or some training thing, but wondered why almost daily blokes were vanishing from the accomodation.

After a few weeks it was down to around 20, or 30 blokes still left standing, my chap being one of them. Then they were all put into a building and taken out one at a time into a room with the DS sat around supping coffee and smoking, with Charlie behind the big desk. My chap tells me he marched in, saluted, and stood to attention. Charlie says, "you've known me since you were pissing in a pot, but you better tell me why I should let you into my unit".

My chap gave it WTF. Charlie laid it out. My chap turned it down cos his wife wouldn't like it. He's no wimp: Wounded in Vietnam, Silver star, purple heart, several other bits of bling, combat jump wings including a star for Grenada, State police, Texas Ranger, oldest bloke in Texas to pass the SWAT course at 63'ish. He got bored in retirement and works as a courts officer now. His dad was SF, he was SF, and his lad was SF in AFG...............and the fcuker whinges cos he has a grand daughter, that said his daughter in law participates in PRS snipey competitions and outshoots most of the military and plod boys who compete.
marvelous.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I simply don't have the time or inclination to read the whole 106 pages on this thread, so here go's .

National Army Museum LUNCHTIME LECTURE on YouTube regarding the British involvement in the Vietnam War . Contains details of the reasons why Harold Wilson couldn't get British Boots, jungle or other on the ground . Political reasons plus the fact that the British government research showed by 1970 that yanks were stuffed and couldn't win , This report was similar to the 1965 pentagon papers which came to absolutely the same conclusion but which were suppressed at the time .

Yes, lots of extra staff at the Embassy Sappers mp and so forth, and at the British mission.
At least 4,000 British soldiers attached or "joined " the Australian and New Zealand forces served and received a Vietnam Service medal . Sappers also were involved with weapon clearing (mines,uxbs etc) in Laos and Cambodia)

Estimated some 4, ooo British soldiers went to the USA, resigned from British Army served with US forces in Vietnam , resigned from US army , Re-enlisted in British army.

An undisclosed number of British Air force and soldiers were based in Thailand sere sent on mission to Vietnam, some SAS (of course ) who were involved in one action at least and were also running training camps and serving directly in VIETNAM as advisors and trainers.

The RAF are documented as supplying c30s and other transport planes delivering " foreign Aid " with a touch photo of a VULCAN being photographed over Vietnam soil being published in an American book on the war . The Vulcan at that time was only used as a bomber, unless you know different .

A number of Anzac VIETNAM service medals were issued to Anzacs of " British heritage "
A number of GSM with south Vietnam clasps were officially issued to British service personnel.
A number of GSM with Vietnam clasps are officially known to have been issued, undocumented and unheralded to unknown number of British troops.

Finally, details and small files documenting these British detachments were released in the mid 2000 by the government via the 30-year rule . I deduce these document might be obtained via the National Archives at Kew , or by a FOI request to the War box.

If this has been mentioned in the previous 160 pages could the topic have been closed then a new one opened on the style of "details of the UK forces who served in the Vietnam War " ?
Hi fank yew .

Or even " Did you receive a Vietnam War medal, or GSM? " Topic

exspy

LE
An undisclosed number of British Air force and soldiers were based in Thailand sere sent on mission to Vietnam, some SAS (of course ) who were involved in one action at least and were also running training camps and serving directly in VIETNAM as advisors and trainers.

A number of GSM with Vietnam clasps are officially known to have been issued, undocumented and unheralded to unknown number of British troops.

These two points at least are absolute bollocks. Who was the presenter of this lunchtime lecture?

These two points at least are absolute bollocks. Who was the presenter of this lunchtime lecture?
Well, there is one ex Int Corps member l know of who trained on the ground in Vietnam. He was actually recruited by CSIS so if your monicker is legit you might very well know him.