Did 1 Para serve in Newry in 78

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by gauis, Mar 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been going through a number of books about the army in northern ireland namely the British army in Ulster and the British army in northern ireland. In the latter it says 1 Para is in South armagh but did that include serving in Newry or Forkhill. Cause in the former it says the 2nd battlion light infantry served in them bases.

2. Newry is technically in South Down, although part of it lies in Armagh. The TAOR was served by Bessbrook however which is very much in South Armagh but only about 10 miles out of Newry. Bessbrook was generally the feeder for Forkhill and XMG and the main QRF for the entire south of the province was based there, supported by a UDR QRF Platoon in Banbridge and DMSU/HQMSU units from Portadown and Armagh.

There was no army barracks in Newry if I remember correctly, not even a UDR Fort, so any squaddies there would have been based in the RUC Base (unless anyone remembers something I've forgotten).

Place is and was a shi1tehole in any case, as those of us who served there know. In fact you only have to drive through it and you'll form the same opinion.

3. 1 Para were roulement Bn in S.Armagh from March 78 for 4 months. I know because they relieved my own Bn. They did not have a Coy. in Newry's as we did but handed it over to 2LI who were on an 18mth. residential tour in Ballykinler. Prior to that they (2LI) would send a platoon to each of the Coys in XMG, Forkhill and Newtownhamilton, the Paras concentrated on these three exclusively. Incidentally, this was 1 Para's first tour since leaving the Province after Bloody Sunday.

4. You must've worked from the Cop Shop then?

BTW NTH was taken off the roulemont at some point after that. It became a weekly rotation between BB and various UDR Forts where there were full-time rifle companies. I'm tempted to say that 2 and 11 shared most of the burden but I'm wary that somebody from 7/10 is going to chip up and say "we woz there loadsa times pal".

5. Hmmm... Jaeger.... is that as in Jæger??? That doesn't make sense.

6. He's either a hunter or else he sells tweed jackets.

7. I was out in S/Armagh early eighties, the roulemont locs were 1Platoon at Forkhill 1pl at NTH Half coy at Keady other half at Middletown, 1coy at xmg, 1 coy at BBK. 1 platoon permanant QRF AT BBK.
    HQ coy were in Armagh

the BBK COY did patrol Newry I remember the Derrybeg well. and we walked there.

8. Ah, the old Middletown, Keady and Caledon run. VCP's to boredom time then back to Ma & Pa's for tea and scones.

10. Bessbrook isn't even that far out of Newry. More or less on the outskirts.

As you say Newry is only just in Co Down - think the old county boundary runs down the Clanrye. It's not quite as much of a sh1thole as it once was but certainly wouldn't be top of my list of somewhere to move to. There are some decent old buildings from Georgian times but it's still a bit dodgy and run-down.

Don't think there were ever any barracks there - think they always went for slightly more hospitable environments like Warrenpoint / Bessbrook / NTH.

11. There was no barracks in Warrenpoint or Rostrevor. Never really needed. They did have RUC Stations of course.

13. Thought those caught at Narrow Water were coming from somewhere down there? Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Kilkeel way?

14. They could have been coming from Kilkeel, Ballykinlar, or any other area along the south Down coast. My recollection is they were returning to BB. Can't remember if it was Ops or Trg.

There was a barracks at Narrow Water but it was on the other side of the Lough at the Omeath Border Crossing. Accomodation for Plt strength. (real bloody flea pit).

15. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

[quote="
    There was no army barracks in Newry if I remember correctly, not even a UDR Fort, so any squaddies there would have been based in the RUC Base (unless anyone remembers something I've forgotten).

Place is and was a shi1tehole in any case, as those of us who served there know. In fact you only have to drive through it and you'll form the same opinion.[/quote]
    There was never any army/udr base in Newry. I was back there 2 months ago, still a hole except for 1 thing:
    They keep their christmas shopping centres open until 11:pm and close the bars. This has reduced the number of deaths on the roads due to dwi incidents. A place can't be all bad whatever the appearance.
    :brilsmurf: :brilsmurf: