Dickers ?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bukit_Basha, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where did the term "Dickers" come from ? I know it as the word used for IRA lookouts in NI, but I understand it's also used in Afghanistan.

2. Dickers were originally low grade scrotes who reported on movements & took plate details providing Int to the enemy. Unarmed and very junior it was an entry into the Paramilitary world. The same phrase has now been given to the enemy in the 'Stan who have folk working in a similiar role.

3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Interesting couple of paragraphs about dickers in Iraq in Sniper One. The battle group, holed up in CIMIC House (IIRC?) were getting tooled by Iraqi mortars cos the rules of engagement didn't let them shoot dickers because both sides knew the Bobby Moore.

Then a training team or something came out to see what was to be learned and when they saw how the dickers were working, the response was, "The rules of engagement or wrong. Shoot to kill." And balance of power changed immensely.

4. The powers that be get quite upset when you start topping 12 year old dickers

5. But where did the name come from ? was it in use before NI ?

6. My grandfather (Merseyside born and bred) used to use the word "dek" or "dekko" to mean have a look at. Not sure where that comes from. It sounds Indian, although it seems to be associated with Liverpool/Birkenhead area.

Just found this in urban dictionary
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dekko

Seems to be the answer.....unless someone else knows better.

7. Common useage along the N Wales coast too when i was a lad...

8. Possibly from Private Detective - Dick or private dick ?. Raymond Chandler sort of cove.

Why cove ?

9. I must admit I had always assumed it was because they were dicking you in the pseudo-sexual sense - setting a target up to be shafted, albeit indirectly. A shared root (see what I did there? :D ) with dekko had not occured to me.

10. It conceals any cracks between walls and ceilings and, well, looks nice.

11. As a kid in Belfast we always had someone 'keeping dick' whilst we were raiding 'orcies' or some other nefarious activity...

CW

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

12. walt

13. You called?

Dekko & dick done to death here - scroll about a bit. Dekko entries are highlighted in yellow.