Diced Pig Heart

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gobbyidiot, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now the sensible, rational part of me knows that there is no real difference between eating a pig's heart and eating its bum, but jesus, pig heart sounds like some nasty sh*t. I would guess it's pretty tough as well, given the work the muscle does.

However :)

I was in a big Morrisons and I noticed that they sell this stuff, and it's dirt cheap. A pound is about 60p Given the rubbish that is in dog food - water, cereal, ash - it could be the absolute kit for your hound - ten minute simmer in a quarter inch of water, cool, et voila monsieur furryface, enjoy.

I do, though, think that some aspiring Bear Grylls should stew some of this stuff for four hours and tell everyone what it tastes like. It might make a wicked pork curry, if you can forget what it is.
  2. Don't eat it. You'll be sorry if you do!
    I wouldn't feed pig's heart to my dog and my dog died years ago.
  3. I bought some Ox Cheek from Waitrose for £1.50 I braised it... very nice it was too... Im not sure about Pig Heart though.....
  4. Great for faggots, not the dirty bum pounders but the ones like Mr Brains used to make.

5. There used to be a butchers in the Rhonnda that did the most wonderfull cooked stuffed lambs and pig hearts, I used to go out of my way to get them fresh from the oven, heavenly taste, still cook them myself in a slow cooker try Lambs heart with celery and apple
    550g Lambs Liver
    Large onion sliced
    6 sticks celery sliced
    15g butter
    300ml Stock
    Glass red wine
    tin of tomatos shmashed up
    Bouquet garni
    salt and pepper
    300g sliced apples

Chuck all above in slow cooker but lay the apple slices on the top, cook for about three to four hours and enjoy
  6. Used to feet pig's heart to my dog all the time back in the eighties. Mind you, he enjoyed snacking on his own hole 99% of the time so he probably classed it as dessert.
  7. my arrse is beating to the thought of it!
  8. Lovely fried with some onions then put in a sandwich with some brown sauce
  9. This seems like the recipe I arrived at to try and get pigs liver down me. Basically a really tasty sauce to (as far as possible) disguise the awful offal :lol:
  10. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Stewed Pig's Heart à la Pompadour (Coeur de Porc en Civet à la Pompadour)

Taken direct from "The Way We Cooked: Vintage Gourmet", circa August 1945.

Wash 3 fresh pork hearts quickly but thoroughly. Split them, cut out all membranes and tough sections attached to them and remove as much fat as possible. Quarter each section, wash the pieces again and dry them well on a towel. Place the cut up hearts in an earthenware bowl, season them to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and pour over them 1/3 cup good olive oil and as much brandy. Also add 1 large bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves, 1 clove garlic mashed to a pulp, 1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced, 2 bruised whole cloves, heads removed, 5 sprigs fresh parsley and pour over the whole 1 pint of red wine of the claret type. Mix this marinade well, cover the bowl with a towel and let it stand in a cool place or in the refrigerator overnight.

Cut 1/2 pound lean salt pork into ½-inch cubes, parboil them and fry them over a low flame until the cracklings are golden brown. Skim off the cracklings and set them aside. To the fat left in the pan add the heart pieces, well drained, and brown them well on all sides. Remove the pieces, set them aside with the pork cracklings and keep both warm. To the fat left in the pan, add 1 tablespoon flour and over a low flame, stir the flour and fat until golden brown, then add the cracklings and heart pieces, and the strained marinade. Cover the pan, cook the whole gently for 25 minutes, stirring once during the cooking. Add 24 small white onions, whole, 24 small mushroom buttons, either fresh or canned, 24 small carrot balls and a 2-inch piece fennel. Cover the pan again and cook very gently for 35 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.

Meanwhile, cook 2 chicken livers in 2 tablespoons Madeira until tender enough to be mashed easily. Rub the livers, using the Madeira for moistening, through a very fine meshed sieve and stir into the purée 3 tablespoons of the sauce from the stew. Blend well and add the liquid paste to the stew. Boil the whole up once and on reaching the boiling point, stir in 1 cup scaled red wine of the claret type. Mix thoroughly, remove immediately from the fire and serve on freshly made toast rubbed with shallot butter. To make shallot butter, parboil 3 shallots in a little butter, drain them and rub them through a sieve with 4 tablespoons butter.

11. Heart is supposed to be full of taurine.
  12. That sounds more like "Lamb's Heart SURPRISE" ........

..... the surprise being there's no HEART in it ..... it's LIVER!

EDIT: I love offal:- kidneys, liver, heart, sweetbreads ....... yummy! :D
  13. try chicken hearts too m8
  14. Fearnley-Whitingstall was cooking up beef heart last night. It looked fairly wholesome. I think maybe I'm suffering a bit of a Samuel L. Jackson/Pulp Fiction response to the idea of pig heart - "A pig is a filthy animal. Any animal that doesn't have the sense to disregard its own faeces is a filthy animal".