Diagnosed with PTSD - what do i do now?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by dan_brown, Sep 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, me - 18 years in and on a 22 year engagement. 2 years ago i was diagnosed with PTSD. Earlier this year i was released from treatment and am back to work 100%.

The few that know about my problems are talking about claims against the MOD and also medical pensions - to be honest i am clueless about this.

Can anyone advise me if there is a claim and what i need to do, or are my "friends" talking bollocks?

Thank you in advance.
  2. Go speak with the RBL - they have huge experience in this area and will support you through it as well as giving legal advice.
  3. thanks for the advice. Is this something i should be starting now or when i leave the service?
  4. Ask now, you can then put off acting until later if appropriate, better than leaving it and asking and getting told you should have acted at the time.
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

What are you going to claim for mate?

If your back to work and 100% be grateful and get on with the rest of your career and life. There's plenty of blokes who are less than 100%.

I'd swap your 100% for my war pension, constant pain and pharmaceutical collection in a heart beat. Cast a net on here an within a very short time you'll find plenty of guys who'd swap their war pension and lost limbs for you 100% and back to work.

Now go grip yourself. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. i appreciate what you're saying, although i'm back to work do you really think i'm still not suffering? 2 years i was in therapy for and i still don't know what's going to happen when i deploy next year; will i cope or will be a hindrance to my oppo's?I'm back to work because i have bills to pay, a family i love and job i love.

What i am asking is, is there anything i can/should be claiming for?
  7. Ignore them, get what's due to you!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thanks mate - but that's the thing, i have no idea what i can claim or indeed how to start the process!
  9. I've no idea? Good luck. If. You find out you should share the info on here
  10. Go for it mate, claim as much as possible from them. I have a mate who got discharged from the RN with it, took him quite a few years but when his money came in he had a tremendous recovery, so much so he just works part time to top up the beer money.

You can't do a good company for enough!

11. What ever you do make sure that you request copies of all the records relating to medical/phsychological problems NOW, also start the process NOW to find out if you have any sort of redress, the RBL as suggested are on the ball, citizens advice are also switched on.

Your "records" can mysteriously become lost in the system when asked for, if you are asked to sign any waivers on requesting your medical doc's etc , along the lines of " not required with a view to making a claim" then seek legal advice before committing yourself.
    My own experiences relate to dealing with a mega compensation claim for my other half from the civil service, believe me they and the MOD have some really heavy duty legal people who have the sole aim of denying liability for everything, the services are just as liable as any other employer for the welfare of their employees, in 20 years time no one will remember your name, to the system you are a series of digits. If you feel it is legitimate claim, and good luck.

Oh and do not expect a quick resolution to any claim, it took seven years to get to the doors of the high court, they settled 12 hours before the case was due to be heard, that's seven years of stress, worry, expense, barstewards knew all along that they were liable
  12. Matey - have sent you a PM.
  13. With respect BAB, while(st) there are and will always be some who will take advantage of the "system" in terms of disability claims (I have seen some who will milk a combat-related "back injury" for all it is worth and there is no way to prove or disprove its "reality"), I think you may find with a bit of research that PTSD is a wound just like that to which you refer in terms of your own that also causes "constant pain and pharmaceutical collection." I would even argue that in some respects it is even "worse" than some others that you may find more "acceptable" where the scars are more visible.

I will close merely by citing the example of my late uncle who was a parachute infantry officer in WWII and who survived the drops in both Normandy and Holland as well as the defense of Bastogne. He was wounded 4 times in combat--3 by conventional weapons (8mm rifle round in the thigh, 88mm shrapnel in the upper torso and loss of 3 toes from a grenade). His fourth wound from which he never recovered was received when he led his recce platoon out of a forest to a strange fenced enclosure (led by the stench and strange "animal" noises smelled and heard over a kilometer away) that proved to be a concentration camp. In those days he received "only" 3 Purple Hearts for his wounds as the worst one was not at that time understood for what it was. Seeing him over my formative years and the horrific effect that experience (after the preceding 3 years of incredibly hard combat that included I might add assisting stranded British forces in Op Market Garden where he lost his toes) had on the rest of his life demonstrated to me very forcefully how real and debilitating such a "psychic" wound can be.

As a consequence, I am willing to give my fellow veterans the benefit of any doubt when they suffer from PTSD and commend the practice to you and all other ARRSERs if it is really true that "we" take care of our own.

To Dan Brown--thanks for your service to Queen and Country. Take the good advice you will get here and elsewhere to do what it takes to take care of yourself and to receive that to which you are entitled from a grateful nation. You have earned the right to hold you head high.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Dan, there are not many on here who are qualified and experienced enough in these matters to advise you - and we don't know the causes of you problem, nor is it appropriate for you to reveal them on a public forum, so it is almost impossible for anyone here to give you precise advice. But the RBL has people who do understand and to whom you can tell everything. They can, if appropriate, fix you up with legal and other assistance. So please take this advice given in good faith and seek better qualified advice from those best placed to assist you. Contact the RBL and get the facts. And since you are / have been suffering from PTSD, it may be difficult for you to grasp the nettle and contact the RBL. So show this post to your closest confidant and get them to assist. Good luck.