Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Diabetes, PLEASE READ.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My sister in law was Type 1 insulin dependant. Died age 32. Thought she could do what she wanted, eat what she wanted etc so long as she used insulin. Would not listen to advice.

She could and did eat and do what she wanted, that's the choice open to us all, but the consequences catch up with us. A longer life with discipline or a shorter one doing what you want. In a way she's just an extreme example of the Big Mac generation.

re-stilly, condolences and thanks for a sensible post.

Hope he's comfortable in Helgafjell.

She could and did eat and do what she wanted, that's the choice open to us all, but the consequences catch up with us. A longer life with discipline or a shorter one doing what you want. In a way she's just an extreme example of the Big Mac generation.

re-stilly, condolences and thanks for a sensible post.

Hope he's comfortable in Helgafjell.

waes hael to that

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Yes good advice in getting self checked out by doctor, this of course wise for many other things also like blood pressure etc.

Healthy lifestyle is of course contributory to maintaining health, but likewise do not just ignore symptoms like tiredness, excessive thirst etc, as Steve Redgraves diagnosis with diabetes showed. Despite being very fit, led healthy lifestyle and he had won 4 Olympic gold medals, before discovering at age 35 that he was diabetic and of course only 3 yrs later won his 5th Olympic gold at Sydney.

So prevent diabetes if you can, but if diagnosed with it your life can be fine, if the condition is managed well by professionals and above all yourself.

Condolences, re-stilly, I'm Type II, drug controlled, eating healthily and just taken up walking, even down to entering the Thames Path Challenge in Sept, 100K walk from Putney to Henley.

Condolences for you loss. I have type Two Diabetes , diet and exercise controlled. One thing I have noticed is that with my bad knees and other ailments I don't seem to notice the Diabetes and how it affects me . I do my best on the diet and have she just over 2 stone since Xmas.
What symptoms do you Joker, experience from the illness?

Condolences for you loss. I have type Two Diabetes , diet and exercise controlled. One thing I have noticed is that with my bad knees and other ailments I don't seem to notice the Diabetes and how it affects me . I do my best on the diet and have she just over 2 stone since Xmas.
What symptoms do you Joker, experience from the illness?

The ability to sleep for no more than 4 hours, constant colds, not much else really. Mind, saying that, the knees are going to take a battering this year :)

Please find below a link

Diabetes UK

Trouble is it sneaks up on you so you don't know you have it until it is too late in some cases, a lot can be preventable, cut back on the cakes and sweets, cut out processed food, lose a stone or two, walk to work, cycle for 30 minutes around the neighbourhood. All this will help, and if you do find you have it then do as you are asked by the medical profession. It will save you from ending up in a premature grave.

It happened to me recently, and if I'd known the signs it had been creeping up for a long while

Collapsed on a mountain in Snowdonia, thought it was just pushing myself to far and got myself down ok

Next week, I was semi delirious by the time my missus drove to casualty and seriously high bs level

Type I was diagnosed pretty quick, and despite my hospitals horrible reputation they looked after me well

Adjusting to life, and proving life can go on fine, but for anyone out there, let people help you keep to the right foods

There's no point getting a warning and thinking insulin gives you the option to eat and drink what you like, big lifestyle changes are needed but your health can otherwise be fine

I wish I'd gone to my doctor sooner, rather than worry that they'd think I was making a fuss.

Don't be me, get checked out

My condolences .
I was warned my blood sugar is on the high side at 6.6 . refused Metformin but have started beasting myself down the gym 2 or 3 times a week .
Have lost a lot of weight and fit in clothes I haven't been able to put on for about 6 or 7 years ( my target is to be able to put on my stable belt , last worn 25 years ago ) and I feel a whole lot better , though like @Joker62 says , I constantly feel as though I have a cold with aching joints and my sinuses are often blocked up . Doctors say there is no correlation , though ?

Don't know the medical bits on that but the sinuses seem to be common, aching joints is just as likely to be old injuries flaring up I'd have though

Warning signs to look for are your eye sight suddenly getting worse, extreme thirst, mood swings that happen after eating lots of carbs, constant tiredness, difficulty sleeping,inability to push yourself physically without high carb snacks

Sorry to hear that. It's a sod.

Out of the blue two years ago got the good news about heading towards Type II.

I just knocked carbs on the head and replaced spuds, pasta etc with
extra veg, cut right down on booze and sifted out the hidden sugars. Did the trick but can be tough.

There is a lot of research in the US especially which strongly suggests that Diabetes is not merely a risk factor for Heart Disease but a significant cause in its own right.

Considering them as seperate conditions is a bad idea.

Don't know the medical bits on that but the sinuses seem to be common, aching joints is just as likely to be old injuries flaring up I'd have though

Warning signs to look for are your eye sight suddenly getting worse, extreme thirst, mood swings that happen after eating lots of carbs, constant tiredness, difficulty sleeping,inability to push yourself physically without high carb snacks

I'm down for regular eye tests and also 6 month appointments with diabetes diet nurses .
Have cut sugar and crap food from the diet and feel a lot better .
No longer get tired or thirsty .
Guys , if you're given a diet sheet or leaflets or even look up what diet online , read it carefully , as it's not just sugar , it's starchy foods like white rice and white pasta as well , so be aware .
Oh , and cut down on the piss . That's the hard bit . However , both my very cute diet nurses tell me tequila , triple distilled rum and 110% polish vodka are OK , though ( no carbs , see ? ) !

Buy a copy of bloodsugar 101 from Amazon. Buy a blood glucose meter and matching sticks from Ebay (cheaper than buying from a pharmacy) Follow the instructions in the book. This gives you the numbers you need to have proper control over your diabetes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Buy a copy of bloodsugar 101 from Amazon. Buy a blood glucose meter and matching sticks from Ebay (cheaper than buying from a pharmacy) Follow the instructions in the book. This gives you the numbers you need to have proper control over your diabetes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm in Wales, got given two meters free, one for home one to keep in the car.

They seem reliable too, have quickly learnt what foods do to me. Only thing to give me a bad spike in readings was some diabetic biscuits someone brought me...lesson learnt avoid diabetic food as sugar is just replaced by process crap

Brown rice and seeds seems a pretty good base for an evening meal to make sure bs stays consistent over night