Diabetes, PLEASE READ.

I read a report saying people with known Type 2 Diabetes are almost outnumbered by Type 2 Diabetes people who don't know.
Lots of people don't know. You don't really get any symptoms until it's quite serious. The lucky ones (like me) are people who have other stuff wrong with them and who need to have regular blood tests which show it up as a sideline.

I got late onset type one just before my 50th birthday, the first sign something was wrong was violent stabbing pains in my legs on a mountain walk, and that night a sudden out of body experience leading the missus to drag me to casualty

I literally no idea it was coming, but my aversion to blood tests probably didn't help

I didn't start losing weight, till they put me on Insulin and I started trying to cut my carbs down, but the weeing I've always had that so no real warning

I did notice at the clinic, the type 2 bods seem to have more serious weight problem especially the blokes (More beer drunk rather than spirits I guess ????)

One of the causes of type 2 is being overweight. When you have type 2 there isn't enough available insulin to carry glucose into your cells for energy so your body starts using fat instead. I think the weeing thing is to do with there being too much glucose in your wee which draws more water out.

I never had these symptoms because a blood test for something else caught mine early.

With type 2 the main symptoms are that you lose weight and wee a lot.
I had late onset Type 1 then it's being overly thirsty, having a constant hunger, and weeing a lot that is the giveaway

Then it's your body just not producing insulin properly, changing your diet and losing weight will help but is unlikely to stop the diabetes at least in the short term

But having had all 3 symptoms since childhood it wasn't picked up till I went into a coma

I met a fairly newly sober alkie this evening. He was wearing a huge boot because he'd just had three toes amputated. He had a machine on a shoulder strap injecting insulin into his bloodstream on some regular basis.

He was still very overweight, but told me he'd lost 10 stone.

I mentioned low carb high fat, and he said "Yeh, they've been telling me about it", but he didn't seem that interested in that topic of conversation, so I dropped it. He's sober and seems happy about it; that's a good start.

But the guy is a lot younger than me and he's having bits chopped off him because of what used to be known as an elderly person's disease.

Good news here, after being on Insulin for 5 months they're taking me off it this week to see how I cope and moving me onto to Metformin so no more injecting as my pancreas has started producing insulin again

Diet has probably helped (That and getting a honeymoon period from go on insulin), I'd greatly reduced my alcohol intake, stopped beer entirely, probably two glasses of wine over a weekend now and managed to get my carbs down to 150-200 a day normally

Still rubbish at exercise as my energy levels are poor, which is looking like anaemia is probably a part of that

Hopefully I've had a narrow escape, they seemed surprised my cholesterol levels were now at the bottom end of the normal range so if I can manage it in middle age you can turn this around

Can I ask if you know what level of reduced carbohydrate intake would get you off all diabetic medication altogether?
I think going from a diabetic coma in January, to stopping injections this week is good progress, but to answer your question, I don't know is the short answer.

I'm just doing what the doctors tell me too at the moment. I may not be able to come off medication completely, but I'm doing my best my end to give my body a chance to, but have absolutely no idea if it will work or not.

The dietician at the hospital gave me all the spiel about losing weight can cure me, the actual consultants were a lot more circumspect really say lose weight, but don't get your hopes up that I'll be off off meds completely

All I know if I drop them too quickly, my eyesight plays up badly due to getting hypos. So have to carbs spread out over the day, but try and go for slow burn ones like the most simple muesli (the cheapo ones without the dried fruit that spikes your sugar levels) or porridge for breakfast etc

They're stopping me injecting as I haven't had a high blood sugar reading in four months, but am having low readings at increasing frequency which isn't good as there's always the risk of my eyesight going south whilst driving as hypos come on without warning

Hence I've got avoid driving for a couple of weeks to try and bed in to the change in meds, as they said to expect spikes in blood sugar for a while, as well as the drops I've had so far.

As I understand it, between 7 and 9 hours sleep is best for health as that allows essential repairs to take place.
I know that some people have a measured number of calories at measured intervals during the daytime but that leaves the matter of how to maintain natural sugar levels overnight. I wonder if anyone has porridge at night? Just a thought.

You may have a point, when they gave me insulin it was 30% quick hit, and the rest slow release and for it to work properly I need to balance my carbs out over the day

Plain boring porridge isn't a bad thing to have certainly, haven't tried it for an evening meal

You may have a point, when they gave me insulin it was 30% quick hit, and the rest slow release and for it to work properly I need to balance my carbs out over the day

Plain boring porridge isn't a bad thing to have certainly, haven't tried it for an evening meal
I understand why you avoid sultanas and other fruit because of the relative sugar spike. Bananas (botanically a herb) give a slow release of energy and taste nice in porridge. They contain potassium so that's something to bear in mind when considering sodium/potassium balance ie if someone has low blood pressure it might tip the balance. Caveat: I am neither a doctor nor a nutritionalist.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Bread of any kind and anything more than a slice spikes me, A few years ago, I tried Warburtons Glutton free Bread, the type is called 'Thins.' and cut ready, With cheese or ham or just fresh tomatos they are great, and excellent as a snack. I used to crave bread, but this product has done me proud and no more 'spikes'. Though it is true that certain foods will spike some, while others have less of a problem.

I find bread made in a bread maker, is better than shop bought bread, my body seems to cope with it better

A flour wrap seems to be a lot better than a few slices of bread

But the real bad stuff seems to things like Naan bread for me

As Brian would say we're all different

I find bread made in a bread maker, is better than shop bought bread, my body seems to cope with it better

A flour wrap seems to be a lot better than a few slices of bread

But the real bad stuff seems to things like Naan bread for me

As Brian would say we're all different
Graam flour made from chick peas may be okay? It doesn't have to be used for just chipattis.

Further thoughts, if you like bread and really like Pizza

Sour dough based Pizzas seem to be less carb laden, and for me at least don't give me a blood sugar spike