Diabetes, PLEASE READ.

I just want to say, that I feel extremely lucky that, touch wood, I have nothing serious, just a tad high blood pressure. It seems I did something right, God only knows what since both my parents had stomach cancer and dad had Alzheimers. Every now and again I toddle off to ensure that there is still power steering fluid. Take care all.

In my experience GP's seem to be routinely screening for diabetes and rightly so. Diabetes sucks up almost a third of NHS resources with all its complications. I routinely do about 600 Hba1c tests every day. When I started work 30 years ago it was about 100 tests a week. This number will not go down anytime soon.

Thanks for reactivating this thread, if people take on board the advice within it, and one person gets sorted it is worth it.

A fairly minor point, I was needle phobic, however having become used to the lancets and subcutaneous needles.
The lancets, I have found work best in the pads towards the end of my fingers, the instructions show using the whole area above the last knuckle. That was sore. Also try adjusting the depth of the lancet, mine are at 2 of 8 often I think I will need to do it again as I hardly noticed the strike only to see the speck.
The needles are painless 90+% of the time often the sting is a few minutes later.
Again this will be obvious to my fellow travellers but may help those yet to start.

One final thing, my wife tells me that since being insulin controlled, I am a much nicer person.
Certainly I don't get riled as I used to, perhaps it is simply an appreciation of what matters.

A fairly minor point, I was needle phobic, however having become used to the lancets and subcutaneous needles.
The lancets, I have found work best in the pads towards the end of my fingers, the instructions show using the whole area above the last knuckle. That was sore. Also try adjusting the depth of the lancet, mine are at 2 of 8 often I think I will need to do it again as I hardly noticed the strike only to see the speck.
The needles are painless 90+% of the time often the sting is a few minutes later.
Again this will be obvious to my fellow travellers but may help those yet to start.
After some trial and error, I used to set the Lifescan lancet at '7', but the range of the Element lancet setting is 1 - 5. Mine is set at '5' because I couldn't get the lancet to penetrate my skin. I also use the pad toward the end of my finger to obtain the blood sample.

If you have an Element machine, it needs calibrating once a week even though that requirement doesn't appear in the user manual. Obtaining the test solution is the same as the Lifescan product - just give Element a call and they will send fresh phials FOC.

After some trial and error, I used to set the Lifescan lancet at '7', but the range of the Element lancet setting is 1 - 5. Mine is set at '5' because I couldn't get the lancet to penetrate my skin. I also use the pad toward the end of my finger to obtain the blood sample.

If you have an Element machine, it needs calibrating once a week even though that requirement doesn't appear in the user manual. Obtaining the test solution is the same as the Lifescan product - just give Element a call and they will send fresh phials FOC.
Interesting about the recalibration, I have a Agamatix Jazz which makes no mention either. Only to say that it would need to be done if you get strange readings or when learning to use the kit.
My GP is now talking about the machine that Teresa May uses, the Freestyle Libre that monitors constantly, not sure I want something stuck in me permanently.

On Sunday my wife if type 2 was rushed through A&E. Basically she is mid 30s, 10 stone. She has pneumonia and that messed her insulin up. Very close to going in to a coma. Pneumonia was and still is a secondary illness. Didn't help that MRS in Germany just chinned her off for over two years..... Size 18 then. Size 10 now

Just had part one of my annual check - blood, blood pressure, height and weight. Part two is in a month and covers feet, weight, waist measurement, BP again and lifestyle discussion etc. In between those I have the annual eye check.
I get an annual check too but mine comes with a raft of blood tests including a fasting glucose test that I think is for diabetes. Luckily I'm clear so far. They can test for a load of other things like kidney and liver disease using blood too. Also I believe prostate cancer can be tested using blood without the need to get overly friendly with your doctor's index finger.

Might be worth any arrsers of an age to remember "that" rifle asking their doctors about blood tests if you're not getting any.

I get an annual check too but mine comes with a raft of blood tests including a fasting glucose test that I think is for diabetes. Luckily I'm clear so far. They can test for a load of other things like kidney and liver disease using blood too. Also I believe prostate cancer can be tested using blood without the need to get overly friendly with your doctor's index finger.

Might be worth any arrsers of an age to remember "that" rifle asking their doctors about blood tests if you're not getting any.
I don't do the fasting bloods any more, just the bog standard HbA1c test. If the phlebotomist says: "it's just a little prick" once more I'll swing round my head and lasso her with it.

I have hypothyroidism (rare in blokes 1:10,000) so have blood tests every 6 months, I only found out after I couldn't recover from gym sessions and couldn't lose weight.

I have an Hba1c every 6 months and a full MOT every year. For pain free finger pricking the best are Accu Check Fastclix. Worth buying one if the Doc won't give you one for free

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If you wish to take the piss please do, but I wish to convey a serious message for once.

My Brother died on Saturday of a Heart Attack brought on by the complications of Diabetes, he was 43.

Please if you eat crap, are overweight, or don't exercise get yourself or your friends and family checked out. One blood or urine test will see if you are at risk or already have diabetes.

Please do this for you and your family's sake, early death from diabetes is preventable, you just need to take action now.
Sorry to hear of your loss, it's wise to take up the health checks and also monitor blood pressure regularly once you hit half a century or thereabouts. My brother died at forty, so I can understand what you are going through.

If you want to stay in the 5% HBa1c club the magic numbers are 1 hour after a meal 7.7 2 hours 6.6 fasting 6.1

If you want to stay in the 5% HBa1c club the magic numbers are 1 hour after a meal 7.7 2 hours 6.6 fasting 6.1

None of the health professionals I see now use the old system. Last time I asked what it was in real money, I was told "this is real money, get used to it". He also said to remember that "55 (or under) to stay alive" is good idea.

Another interesting thing he told me was about the feeling that the levels are too low. For years, if I've felt the shakes, I've always looked for a biscuit or jelly baby. He told me that, if I am in my normal routine, feeling the shakes is my body trying to trick me into giving it sugar. Ignore it, or have a glass of water. The body doesn't need any more sugar. Sit it out. So, far, it's working.

As for testing, I use the Freestyle Lite meter, but prefer the Accucheck lancet. Testing on the side of the pad on the fourth finger.

None of the health professionals I see now use the old system. Last time I asked what it was in real money, I was told "this is real money, get used to it". He also said to remember that "55 (or under) to stay alive" is good idea.

Another interesting thing he told me was about the feeling that the levels are too low. For years, if I've felt the shakes, I've always looked for a biscuit or jelly baby. He told me that, if I am in my normal routine, feeling the shakes is my body trying to trick me into giving it sugar. Ignore it, or have a glass of water. The body doesn't need any more sugar. Sit it out. So, far, it's working.
What do you mean by the first paragraph 55 to stay alive do you mean 5.5

Also it depends when you take your readings

If you are feeling shaky the best I would have though would be to take a reading to confirm if you are having a hypo ?

Archie

My daughter got T1 after a bad viral infection - no family links.

It is a bastard and hats off to anyone trying to manage it.

She spent a number of years pretending it did not exist and made herself really ill but now takes it more seriously but still sometimes has a hell of a job keeping her numbers under control. She is now sporting a flash type sensor (Freestyle Libre) courtesy of the NHS which is a step change in monitoring capability.

What do you mean by the first paragraph 55 to stay alive do you mean 5.5

Also it depends when you take your readings

If you are feeling shaky the best I would have though would be to take a reading to confirm if you are having a hypo ?

Archie
No,HbA1c is now reported in millimoles (mmol) under IFCC (International Federation of Clinical Chemists) guidelines to bring us into line with the rest of the world (except the US) and not the old DCCT which reported in %. There is a converter on www.diabetes.co.uk that you can use to convert if you wish.
Eg. HbA1c 5% will be 31 mmol.
7% will be 53 mmol which is what you want to be less than if you want to keep your Doc happy.
Hba1c is a measure of what your blood glucose level has been over the last three months. So if you are reading less than 53 then your glucose control has been very good.