Diabetes, PLEASE READ.

Don't know the medical bits on that but the sinuses seem to be common, aching joints is just as likely to be old injuries flaring up I'd have though

Warning signs to look for are your eye sight suddenly getting worse, extreme thirst, mood swings that happen after eating lots of carbs, constant tiredness, difficulty sleeping,inability to push yourself physically without high carb snacks

Sorry to hear that. It's a sod.

Out of the blue two years ago got the good news about heading towards Type II.

I just knocked carbs on the head and replaced spuds, pasta etc with
extra veg, cut right down on booze and sifted out the hidden sugars. Did the trick but can be tough.

There is a lot of research in the US especially which strongly suggests that Diabetes is not merely a risk factor for Heart Disease but a significant cause in its own right.

Considering them as seperate conditions is a bad idea.

Don't know the medical bits on that but the sinuses seem to be common, aching joints is just as likely to be old injuries flaring up I'd have though

Warning signs to look for are your eye sight suddenly getting worse, extreme thirst, mood swings that happen after eating lots of carbs, constant tiredness, difficulty sleeping,inability to push yourself physically without high carb snacks
I'm down for regular eye tests and also 6 month appointments with diabetes diet nurses .
Have cut sugar and crap food from the diet and feel a lot better .
No longer get tired or thirsty .
Guys , if you're given a diet sheet or leaflets or even look up what diet online , read it carefully , as it's not just sugar , it's starchy foods like white rice and white pasta as well , so be aware .
Oh , and cut down on the piss . That's the hard bit . However , both my very cute diet nurses tell me tequila , triple distilled rum and 110% polish vodka are OK , though ( no carbs , see ? ) !

Buy a copy of bloodsugar 101 from Amazon. Buy a blood glucose meter and matching sticks from Ebay (cheaper than buying from a pharmacy) Follow the instructions in the book. This gives you the numbers you need to have proper control over your diabetes

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Buy a copy of bloodsugar 101 from Amazon. Buy a blood glucose meter and matching sticks from Ebay (cheaper than buying from a pharmacy) Follow the instructions in the book. This gives you the numbers you need to have proper control over your diabetes

I'm in Wales, got given two meters free, one for home one to keep in the car.

They seem reliable too, have quickly learnt what foods do to me. Only thing to give me a bad spike in readings was some diabetic biscuits someone brought me...lesson learnt avoid diabetic food as sugar is just replaced by process crap

Brown rice and seeds seems a pretty good base for an evening meal to make sure bs stays consistent over night

They seem reliable too, have quickly learnt what foods do to me. Only thing to give me a bad spike in readings was some diabetic biscuits someone brought me...lesson learnt avoid diabetic food as sugar is just replaced by process crap

Brown rice and seeds seems a pretty good base for an evening meal to make sure bs stays consistent over night
Most GPs in England won't give you a meter until you're on insulin which defeats the whole purpose. Giving meters when people are first diagnosed would save a lot of blindness and amputations

That's rather a false economy, my nurse at our practice said the companies that sell the meters, their reps give away the meters to anyone with diabetes who phones them up and asks for one it's just publicised for obvious reasons, which must be UK wide rather than a Welsh thing I'd have thought

Maybe you need to be prescribed insulin for that to happen, but I'm just going by what they said

I have been type 2 for the last 16 years, recently the pills and diet stopped controlling my BS sufficiently.
Being blessed with a gp whose speciality is type 2, I was quickly put on insulin.
BS is now well controlled on a basal and a fast acting insulin.
A friend has a gp who is of the old school and is hanging on before putting him on insulin, consequently his health is starting to suffer. I have urged him to complain or get a second opinion.
Alcohol has not been a problem, 2 pints have little effect and a couple of glasses of red wine none.
My doctor's approach is that although you have to make allowances for it, the diabetes has to accommodate your life style. That means in my case meeting friends for a couple of pints once or twice a week is fine. The reasoning is that otherwise you won't be able to stick to the regime. Strange things happen to people, my GP tell me of a patient with good control until he eats a curry, then his blood test goes to 30. Mine being a complete pig went to 14. So your mileage may vary.
I expect that this is teaching those reading this who already have the diagnosis to suck eggs, but hopefully it may help those yet to have it.

condolences mate , 43 is way to young to be taken

getting close to home this , Doris' sister is 70 and type 2 spends all her time checking what she eats trying to follow all he guidelines , and totally negates the whole process by not getting off her incredibly fat idle arse and doing some exercise, always an excuse shoulder is sore ( she did fall and break it last yearbut she doesn't walk on her feking hands) ankles are sore, well they will be if you sit at the table all day on Facebook , chain smoking ... house is reeking every time we visit , it is clothes into the washer and us into the shower,when we gwet home they used to be so very house proud as well she said to Doris to tell her if her house ever got to the same standard of smokiness as the late mother in law ( the devils **** sock), well it has greatly exceeded that many years ago but if you broach the subject you end up getting verbal abuse ( In my case , usually about the amount of wine we drink every week, which really isn't a lot)... So we watch them slowly dieing through their own actions, or inaction

I was diagnosed on my discharge medical at age 55, they think I had had it for a couple of years. I have never been overweight and have always kept myself fairly fit so it was a bit of a shock to be told.
That was 5 years ago I take Metformin and see the nurse twice a year for blood test and get my eyes tested and my feet inspected once a year. I did ask if I should be doing the meter testing and was told I didn’t need to.
I haven’t changed my diet and only have the odd drink so my life has not change at all. My 6 monthly checks have shown no problems.

That's rather a false economy, my nurse at our practice said the companies that sell the meters, their reps give away the meters to anyone with diabetes who phones them up and asks for one it's just publicised for obvious reasons, which must be UK wide rather than a Welsh thing I'd have thought

Maybe you need to be prescribed insulin for that to happen, but I'm just going by what they said
The Welsh NHS is controlled and financed by the Welsh Assembly and has different rules and procedures than the English one. BG meters are like razors. The meter costs nothing - it's the sticks they make the money on.

Sorry to hear the sad new.
Thanks for the heads up, it might save a life.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Most GPs in England won't give you a meter until you're on insulin which defeats the whole purpose. Giving meters when people are first diagnosed would save a lot of blindness and amputations

I've got 2, one from the GP and one from Diabetes UK. Diabetes UK often give them away as part of their email subscription with a month's worth of lancets and test strips. It just means that you have to buy the next lot, the one from the GP are part of my prescription.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The Welsh NHS is controlled and financed by the Welsh Assembly and has different rules and procedures than the English one. BG meters are like razors. The meter costs nothing - it's the sticks they make the money on.

I used to take the meters off reps for the batteries.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

I used to take the meters off reps for the batteries.
And this is why people are dying from diabetic problems, the bloody medical staff are nicking the batteries to use in their household items!

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
And this is why people are dying from diabetic problems, the bloody medical staff are nicking the batteries to use in their household items!

Loads of the strips are too expensive and the reps chuck meters about like smarties because they make so much from the strips.

I was given a meter when I was first diagnosed with the strips and lancets on prescription. My first meter was a Lifescan Ultra Easy but when Lifescan decided to upgrade to a model which required different test strips, my surgery changed my meter to an Element meter. I believe the Element meter, strips and lancets are a lot cheaper than the corresponding Lifescan items.

As for managing my T2, I'm on a diet and exercise only regime which I have been on since I was diagnosed 10 years ago. I still have to watch what I eat but my blood sugars always seem to be in single figures whenever I test.

Just had part one of my annual check - blood, blood pressure, height and weight. Part two is in a month and covers feet, weight, waist measurement, BP again and lifestyle discussion etc. In between those I have the annual eye check.

Worrying thing is today I was told I have gained 29lbs since this check one year ago despite everybody I know telling me I have lost weight. Last year's recording must be wrong as I know I am somewhere around the same by the clothes I buy and wear (34 waist).