diabetes in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by SpotThePsycho, Feb 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what are the armys views on diabetes. i have a bad history of it in my family and therefore are more likely for it to develop, but if it does will they kick me out? I've only been in for 18 months so i'm of no important position.

2. YOu are only unimportant if you are an officer. We had a soldier who joined as a diabetic and lasted a year or so. I also know of at least 2 who have developed mild diabetes and use diet and tablets rather than insulin. I was going to say if no-one knows yet (but we all do now) say nothing, but suggest you talk to the MO confidentially.
  3. As you don’t have diabetes then there’s no reason for you to worry.
    If you do develop diabetes in the future then you wont be able to deploy but there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to stay in the TA.
  4. It is important that you keep your weight down.Do not become a fat B******.Most people get diabetes because they are overweight just like I did.
  5. there is a big difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Type 2 can largley be avoided by a diet and excersise. Type 1 is a differnt story alltogether and requires daily insulin injections.
    Steve Redgrave the 5 times Olympian had type 1 so it doesn't have to affect your fitness. I doubt the TA would accept a person with type 1 though. Even if he was a very good rower.