DHSS and the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Rockhopperst4, May 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was made redundant a few weeks ago and I'm currently going through the process of making a claim for unemployment benefit.
    The sticking point at the moment is my work for the TA which they class as a part time job.
    I'm nationally recruited TA so this month i will be doing two days, nothing next month, then two days in July then nothing till mid October when we have our camp.
    The question is how many hours would I work if i do a weekend (sat am till mid day sunday)? If its more than 16 then I have to sign off then sign on again on the Monday!
    I know that i will actually be there for far more than 16 hours but how many hours would the Army class it as?
    The DHSS don't appear to be able to help me with this,its kind of like they have never come across this situation before and no one is answering the phone at my unit.
  2. A weekend is usually 20 hours. 4 Hours Friday then 8 hours for Saturday and Sunday each. From my out of date enjoyment of Das SS, the dole and TA I never had to sign off for a weekend. If I remember rightly the working hours sheet you should be given to declare your hours on the week was split in such a way that a weekend fell over 2 declared weeks, if that makes sense...! :D
  3. It's 30 hours in a fortnight before you enter paperwork nightmare mountain land. WRT to JSA, their official docks state you should be able to stick to 40 hours per week availability for JSA purposes. When you do camp you need to do a JSA Rapid Reclaim on return.

Rules vary from DHSS person to person. I was told I could still claim JSA for several months once I start work, I'd be classed as a business start up (I should be contracting on above 200 per day).
  4. Flight

Flight LE Book Reviewer

There are various classifications of workers who do not have to sign off. This includes the TA and some fishermen etc.

From the benefits website....

Benefits agency website

The £20 exception is valid for the TA too.

The above only applies to weekends etc. For your annual camp or longer courses you will have to sign off.