Dhofar War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by muhandis89, Sep 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see I am a few years too late on this forum however I was flying Defenders in Oman from 1975 to 1978. I was a good friend of Stan Stanford and elected to be the Effects Officer dealing with his belongings after his death. My wife and four children came out to visit for a time in Salalah at the same time as Stan's wife and two children. We went up into the Jebel together (probably unwisely) and spent much time together. We shared an interest in radio controlled model aircraft, Stan was an exceptionally good builder. I would be happy to help Tabitha with any information I have about her dad. I am still in touch with a number of SOAF chaps who were out there during the 70's.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I was also a close friend of Stan Stanford and Captain Lionheart. I flew with them both often and shared a common interest in RC model aircraft. If I can be of any assistance to Tabitha, she only needs to ask. Good luck with your research.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was a regular pax in Defenders and occasionally Skyvans between Thamrait and Habarut and Makinat Shihan from late 1975 to mid 1977. Shots below of one of each type at Habarut and also an in-flight shot in a Defender featuring a now sadly deceased pax. Would that be you at the controls? img188b1.jpg
    'Smash' Piggot in Defender en route to Habarut a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. No not me, that is Bob Ferrier who flew both the Defender and Skyvan. He lives down in Devon .

5. Is that Smash Piggott as passenger?

6. It is indeed.

7. Captain L - here's another fellow you might recognise, at the controls of a Skyvan.

img242b1.jpg

8. That's Bob again I am fairly certain. He and I were on the same RAF squadron in the UK. Four of us from that station joined SOAF in the 70's

9. It would be great to have you join my Facebook group called "The Dhofar Insurgency 2".

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

10. In Dhofar in 1974 we heard about a 'crazy' Aussie pilot, but there was also a Polish guy as well.

Sid

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk