Dhofar War

Sid kangaroo

Clanker
FB_IMG_1536825192434.jpg

What an amazing citation a modern day Rorke's Drift encounter . It's also interesting to see the number of medals awarded back then for 22 years plus of service.

I don;t know who is selling the medals, or why they are being sold. I knew someone from the same regiment who had IIRC those same four clasps to his GSM as well as Radfan. I can't remember if he had the LS & GC as well, but I do know that he received a BEM before his premature death. RIP Taff.

haloman

Old-Salt
"I had a letter a few months ago from the boss of the Helicopters, he's now 83 and going strong (but not flying)"

That would have been my old boss, Neville Baker. He was at our SAF Reunion Dinner in November for the first time ever. Just dropped out of view when he left Oman in the late 70's, but a fantastic chap.

I went through the whole war from 1970-1977 with 3 Squadron SOAF(Helis), and reading through your posts it is hard to believe it was 40 years ago and that I have now hit 70. Got shot down a couple of times, HMG fire from the Shirishiti caves, then in '75 by a SAM 7B, though made it back to Salalah that time. Found this Forum by accident, a friend gave me a link to YouTube that covered the Battle of Mirbat in five parts. Most of it is re-enacted for obvious reasons, but they had some real film at the end when I flew in with the Bell 205 to collect the dead and wounded SAS team.

Worth watching if you have not seen it before.
Seven of the best years of my life with many lifelong friends from there still, and memories of the ones that I lost. However we used to go back to the Officers Mess at the end of the day, and had a great beach scene, unlike the Army Officers who spent most of their time on the Jebel.

Will keep an eye on the Forum now that I have registered.

Cheers

David

Dave Duncan-One of the best heli pilots in Dhofar(and there were some good ones there)

I heard today that Dave died in Nov 2018. RIP Dave. A life lived.

I heard today that Dave died in Nov 2018. RIP Dave. A life lived.

I met David in North east Scotland in 1990 after he had bought an old school house and had some wee blethers about Salalah. He used to scoot about the b roads in a lotus Elite Great guy RIP.

Last edited:
Recently popped into Burford and picked up a signed copy of ' In the service of the Sultan' by Ian Gardiner in a charity shop, what a fantastic read.
Having served in the 70/80s and known some of the larger than life personalities, along with my uncle who was the DA in Muscat it was captivating.
As life would have it I also had plans to take up a contract with Airwork in 1984 as a Coy 2i/c with the Frontier Force but life took another turn, I look back and wonder what would have happened if I had taken it up!

Sid kangaroo

Clanker
Recently popped into Burford and picked up a signed copy of ' In the service of the Sultan' by Ian Gardiner in a charity shop, what a fantastic read.
Having served in the 70/80s and known some of the larger than life personalities, along with my uncle who was the DA in Muscat it was captivating.
As life would have it I also had plans to take up a contract with Airwork in 1984 as a Coy 2i/c with the Frontier Force but life took another turn, I look back and wonder what would have happened if I had taken it up!
Ian Gardiner was at the Reef base on the Hornbeam line when we arrived there in 1974.

Sid kangaroo

Clanker
If you want photos, memories and a view of soldiering away from the thrusters on the West German Plain this is a great read.
I'm on the photo that our young troupie took with the Wessex. If you are interested in photos from that period of the war in Dhofar go to the 'closed' Facebook group called "Dhofar veterans 2". We now have some 200 plus members from all Arms of Service.

Does anyone happen to have an aerial photograph of Sarfait/Op Simba.
I had one, so know it exists, but my photo album of Oman has been misplaced in my travels and the Google Earth satellite photo shows what was a 'bare-assed feature' to be built up.
(At 77 I just need to swing the lamp occasionally!)

Does anyone happen to have an aerial photograph of Sarfait/Op Simba.
I had one, so know it exists, but my photo album of Oman has been misplaced in my travels and the Google Earth satellite photo shows what was a 'bare-assed feature' to be built up.
(At 77 I just need to swing the lamp occasionally
Nah but you may remember this in Salalah 1971
1603922825477.png

Thanks for that!
I was with the Firqat for three years and spent most of my time on the jebel but knew Salalah well.
I was looking for the Op Simba photo because of an operation I went on from there.

Thanks for that!
I was with the Firqat for three years and spent most of my time on the jebel but knew Salalah well.
I was looking for the Op Simba photo because of an operation I went on from there.
Hi there is a wiki page for op simba, not sure is of any use to you.

Try these links too.

Last edited:
Thanks for that!
There is a facebook site Dhofar veterans 2 the guys on there may be able to help you .I spent most of my time in and around Salalah Jan 71 - April 71
1604188559847.png

Last edited:

muscat_diver

War Hero
Posted on FB 'Muscat the Good Old Days' by the author Stewart Wilson.

"Admin has been kind enough to let members know of my forthcoming book - Dhofar Voices. Based upon the experiences of my own SAF unit, the Frontier Force, it tells the story of Dhofar in the years 1970-1980 by those who participated; my (over fifty) 'voices'.
The voices are from such diverse units as all the other SAF infantry units and support arms (OA, SOAF, SON, ORD, Firqat etc), BATT, RE etc. There are hitherto unpublished documents from the British MOD and FCO. It is an oral history of hitherto unseen memoirs, letters, and recollections.
It has over 50 previously unpublished detailed maps and aerial images. The book has over 50 photos.
It will be published in July as a lavish A4-sized hardback full-colour edition that is to be limited to 250 copies.
Some important reviewers have already seen pre-publication versions of the book and have written:
“The ‘fog of war’ leaps out from every page.” – Major General Andrew Pringle CB CBE
“Dhofar Voices...is a story of young men in combat; it is a story of failures and successes, of tragedies and triumphs; but above all, it is a story of real people who came together from different parts of the world to fight for the future of a country, and who in doing so made a lasting difference. I had the privilege to know some of them, and I am delighted that their contribution has at last received in this splendid book the recognition it so richly deserves.” – MRAF The Lord Stirrup KG GCB AFC
“…a very clear impression is given of the complexity; the confusion; the ferocity; the linguistic difficulties; the blue-on-blues and the vaulting gallantry: all in very difficult terrain with lousy maps against a bold, brave, wily, tenacious enemy who knew the ground intimately and was fighting for his survival: cock-ups, triumphs and tragedies galore. It’s good to see the Iranians get some of the credit they are due. The footnotes are almost as interesting as the main text and the English is crisp, fluent and easy to read. “– Brigadier Ian Gardiner
For your interest, I attach a PDF of the dust cover.
TBC, but the book launch will be held at the School of Artillery, Larkhill in late July (plague permitting).
Anyone who is interested in being added to the list for the book (152 are already on the list) should in the first instance contact: dhofarvoices@gmail.com
Many thanks,
Stewart Wilson"
1615222131091.png