Dhofar War

I see I am a few years too late on this forum however I was flying Defenders in Oman from 1975 to 1978. I was a good friend of Stan Stanford and elected to be the Effects Officer dealing with his belongings after his death. My wife and four children came out to visit for a time in Salalah at the same time as Stan's wife and two children. We went up into the Jebel together (probably unwisely) and spent much time together. We shared an interest in radio controlled model aircraft, Stan was an exceptionally good builder. I would be happy to help Tabitha with any information I have about her dad. I am still in touch with a number of SOAF chaps who were out there during the 70's.

I was also a close friend of Stan Stanford and Captain Lionheart. I flew with them both often and shared a common interest in RC model aircraft. If I can be of any assistance to Tabitha, she only needs to ask. Good luck with your research.

I see I am a few years too late on this forum however I was flying Defenders in Oman from 1975 to 1978. I was a good friend of Stan Stanford and elected to be the Effects Officer dealing with his belongings after his death. My wife and four children came out to visit for a time in Salalah at the same time as Stan's wife and two children. We went up into the Jebel together (probably unwisely) and spent much time together. We shared an interest in radio controlled model aircraft, Stan was an exceptionally good builder. I would be happy to help Tabitha with any information I have about her dad. I am still in touch with a number of SOAF chaps who were out there during the 70's.
I was a regular pax in Defenders and occasionally Skyvans between Thamrait and Habarut and Makinat Shihan from late 1975 to mid 1977. Shots below of one of each type at Habarut and also an in-flight shot in a Defender featuring a now sadly deceased pax. Would that be you at the controls?
img188b1.jpg

'Smash' Piggot in Defender en route to Habarut a.jpg

Last edited:
Captain L - here's another fellow you might recognise, at the controls of a Skyvan.

img242b1.jpg

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest, as I do whenever Oman is mentioned on this forum. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time over there, as a student and visiting friends.

I'm currently writing my BA dissertation on the Dhofar rebellion, and I would be very honoured if anyone who served over there would consent to be interviewed. I am focusing primarily on the counter insurgency nature of the war, looking especially at the Firqat irregulars. Whilst I would love to speak to anyone who worked with, or encountered the Firqat, I would also be privileged to talk to anyone who served over there at any point in the war. If anyone would be interested in helping me, or can point me to someone who might, I'd be very grateful. On my last trip to Oman, I was able to visit Mirbat and took a few photos which I will try and dig out and stick up on here.

Kind regards,

Al
Greetings Al

I was there for a 4 month tour in 1974 with 2 troop 48 Field Sqn. Royal Engineers. Col. John Blashford-Snell was our CO. Our troop spent most of our time there working on the Hornbeam line. I have set up a Facebook group called "The Dhofar Insurgency 2" for anyone who served there from ca. 1963 to ca. 1978 to the present day. Lots of photos and comments etc. You're welcome to drop by a visit us.

Picking up on a 2015 post in here about Tony Jeapes. He was my dads gaffer during the jebel akdar fisticuffs in 58. My dad was D sq 22 for 6+ years. Said he was a top bloke to work with. A squaddies CO so to speak.
When i did my Banner stuff in the 80's Jeapes was CLF(NI) from 85 onwards IIRC, so he essentially commanded us both across 30 odd years. Made us both chuckle at times (me & my dad, not me & Jeapes.....!!)

Greetings Al

I was there for a 4 month tour in 1974 with 2 troop 48 Field Sqn. Royal Engineers. Col. John Blashford-Snell was our CO. Our troop spent most of our time there working on the Hornbeam line. I have set up a Facebook group called "The Dhofar Insurgency 2" for anyone who served there from ca. 1963 to ca. 1978 to the present day. Lots of photos and comments etc. You're welcome to drop by a visit us.
My old man did one of those tours around that time ( maybe a year or two later) - he said it was quite lively. He enjoyed his time out there though.

Greetings John, Going back a bit, but some maps were posted on the (closed) Facebook group called "The Dhofar Insurgency 2". Great group with more than 3,000 photos and many comments from people who served in the Dhofar war.
hi jonwilly,

I came across this site after Googling Dhfar Maps! I was in Dhofar from 1970 -1975 and I am trying to get hold of some of the brown coloured 100,000 maps that were the general issue at that time. I am particularly interested in the area centered on Wadi Darbat, with north east as far as Jib Jat and west as far as White City (Madinat al Haq). If you, or anyone else has any of these old maps I would greatly appreciate you getting in touch.

Thanks in advance

John
Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Photo of the location of the famous battle at Mirbat in 1972. Mirbat and the fort are at the bottom left hand corner. Photo was taken in 1974.

A Youtube version of a lecture given by a good friend(RM Brig retired) on the typical tour during the war:

I have 180 plus photos from Dhofar in 1974, and a couple of Ian Gardiner. I remember having to walk through our own minefield at the Reef base on the Hornbeam line, because there were no helicopters to pick us up, so we had a long walk home.

I have 180 plus photos from Dhofar in 1974, and a couple of Ian Gardiner. I remember having to walk through our own minefield at the Reef base on the Hornbeam line, because there were no helicopters to pick us up, so we had a long walk home.

Get your grandson to scan them, enhance any a bit ropey, and post them up in the photos section of this website.
Historical importance and all that.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find your photo section, and post a few photos on there. I set up 2 groups on Facebook (one 'open' (1) and public, and one closed (2) called "The Dhofar Insurgency 2".
Get your grandson to scan them, enhance any a bit ropey, and post them up in the photos section of this website.
Historical importance and all that.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find your photo section, and post a few photos on there. I set up 2 groups on Facebook (one 'open' (1) and public, and one closed (2) called "The Dhofar Insurgency 2".

Press the 3 parallel line icon, top left of screen. Scroll down and you will find the gallery button. Have a nose around in there is a good starting point.