Dhofar War

Just a ´heads up´,there´s a guy on E-Bay selling his Dad´s Oman relics,maybe If you give him a message he might have some old doc´s that could provide some aditional info,some of you might want one of the walking sticks he´s flogging :twisted:
Go to E-bay and search for Walking Stick Oman,that should get you there

Attachments

A Sapper friend of mine from G Sqn is still looking for the SOAF heli pilot who dumped him,and some others ,on a supposedly oblique position,on the enemy withdrawal route.However,it appeared that he dropped them on top of the enemy! Shit happens in such situations.

Dave Duncan-One of the best heli pilots in Dhofar(and there were some good ones there)

Canader-Thanks for that.I have some photos of Paul,from the time,which I'll post if you wish.At the time we were the only 2 Sapper officers in SAF.Strangely we were both(I was in DR at the time) present,at the battle in which Tiger died.Mike Austin(ex D+D),Tiger's 2 i/c remains a good friend to this day.
Muhandis.
You must have been with Ian Thomas and Red Company. I had forgotten you were there. Rgds

I had just come back from casevac in Cyprus.I was in 2 Coy.While waiting to get onto the jebel again,I joined up with Red Coy,who were Plains Reserve,for the day,and went off with them to the area where Tiger was.Being a fellow Sapper,I felt that this was the least I could do.Charlie Gray was OC Red on the day.

I had just come back from casevac in Cyprus.I was in 2 Coy.While waiting to get onto the jebel again,I joined up with Red Coy,who were Plains Reserve,for the day,and went off with them to the area where Tiger was.Being a fellow Sapper,I felt that this was the least I could do.Charlie Gray was OC Red on the day.
I am off to Oman next week with 30/40 other guys to do a tour of the battlefields and join some group discussions about Simba, Mirbat, Tawi Atair, op Jag, Hornbeam and Amatol. My memory gets bad after all this time but i would love to visit, and pay my respects to Paul, this battlefield again. Rgds

Well done ytd.I had heard about the visit,but have to be abroad on business,at the time.Paul's body is-I believe-in the British Cemetery in Muscat.If you visit,please give him my thoughts too.He;s always in my mind,even after all these years.A great soldier and Sapper.

The moral of that story was ... if you support insurgency in my country, I will beat the crap out of you ................... Oman had it right as Yemen thought the price too high to pay.

And then,of course,there was the ground attack on Hauf!

The moral of that story was ... if you support insurgency in my country, I will beat the crap out of you ................... Oman had it right as Yemen thought the price too high to pay.

Must have been mid 90's when The Sultan sorted out the border question with Yemen.
Roughly they took the Then Border and the Sultan said OK I give you 1 or 2 KMs of my territory, ie the border moved East into Oman.
If you look now the Border goes up dead straight as a Brit African border until it makes a V shaped deflection into Yemen.
Small fort there Name slips my memory, but as muhandis says
"And then,of course,there was the ground attack on Hauf!"

john

Hello

Im not sure if it is OK to ask this, but I came across this site doing some research on my father, and I wondered if any of you might have known him? He was in SOAF from around 1970 - 1978 flying helicopters out of Salalah with Neville Baker - his first name was Graham, but everyone knew him as Stan. Sadly he was killed in 1978 in a helicopter accident in Oman, and was laid to rest in the military cemetary there. I would love to know more about his time in Oman if anyone can help?

Many thanks

Tab

A much belated thanks to those of you who helped with maps and other comments/suggestions.

I spent three weeks on the mountains in Dhofar during March this year, and visited most of the locations/sites from 'OP Jaguar', 'Amatol' and 'Cyclops'. I also went to the south of Manston to the site where Paul Wright was killed and laid a memorial cross.

On returning to Muscat I left wreaths at both cemetaries.

Hello

Im not sure if it is OK to ask this, but I came across this site doing some research on my father, and I wondered if any of you might have known him? He was in SOAF from around 1970 - 1978 flying helicopters out of Salalah with Neville Baker - his first name was Graham, but everyone knew him as Stan. Sadly he was killed in 1978 in a helicopter accident in Oman, and was laid to rest in the military cemetary there. I would love to know more about his time in Oman if anyone can help?

Many thanks

Tab

Hi Tabitha

Your father "Stan" Stanford was a fine and brave man, highly regarded by all who knew him, a father of whom you can be very proud. He was awarded the Sultan's Distinguished Service Medal (in Arabic "Wasm Khidmat Mumtaz" or WKhM). The WKhM is awarded for "Exceptionally distinguished service and outstanding devotion to duty over a prolonged period". Stan's award was promulgated in Force Routine Order 71 of 1974. I was in the army and did not know him as well as the pilots he flew with. His unit was 3 Squadron, as you probably know, and I will forward a link to this page with your query to a few friends from SOAF (Sultan of Oman's Air Force), who would have known him better than I did.

Best wishes

Hello

Many thanks

Tab
I knew Stan Standford. His nickname was "Stan the Man". He was a fine man, respected by all who knew him. He was regarded as the father of the heli loadmasters - there are others who can give more detail on this. He died on 17th June 1978, together with Adrian Winterbon and members of an Omani mortar team. I attended his funeral in Muscat, and photographed his gravestone when it was put up, and again in 2010. I hope this is of use to you.

Best wishes

Hi Bronze Holdfast

Thank you for your reply, it means a lot to hear from people who knew my father - I know a little of his time in Oman, and we did visit him out there on three occasions, staying in both Muscat and Salalah - I have lots of photos of the people we met out there - along with lots of helicopters, model airplanes and fish which were his main interests I think! - but cant remember many of the names, although I know Neville and some others stayed in contact with my mum after his death. I have the medals here, and a number of letters including one from Tim Creasey in June 1974. I was quite young when he died, so know very little of his time out there, although I have learnt bits and pieces over the years, I would like to know more - I am immensly proud of him and would like his grand children to know as much about him as possible.

Once again, Thank You,

kind regards

Tabitha