Dhofar War

Hi John, which Regiment were you with?

Afraid that I do not have any of the old maps, though I do remember Waterhole. I do regret though never taking a single photograph over the seven years, and unfortunately we were well before the era of digital cameras and mobile phones.

Cheers

Dave

I have a complete set of 100 thou and 50 thou maps of Dhofar. I can show you exactly where Waterhole is - I went there many times.

A book worth reading is "A Monk in the SAS" by Paul Sibley. He has recently published a second edition. Find it on Amazon. He was in Dhofar from 1971 to 1980 and knows all the characters you have been talking about.

OpStormTrooper said:
I have a complete set of 100 thou and 50 thou maps of Dhofar. I can show you exactly where Waterhole is - I went there many times.

A book worth reading is "A Monk in the SAS" by Paul Sibley. He has recently published a second edition. Find it on Amazon. He was in Dhofar from 1971 to 1980 and knows all the characters you have been talking about.
So you got my message via 'Don' :D Pleased that you have caught up with this thread.

Google Mirbat battle, and some of the sites have both photographs and maps showing the layout, so you should be able to work it out. I was there last year and don't recognise the fort in your photo. My own recollection is that there was only one fort in Mirbat. The Wali didn't have a fort - he had a house.

Come back if this doesn't help.

Regards

OpStormTrooper

Looking at it again, your photo of the fort with the sea in the background, I don't recognise. That is what I was referring to. The subsequent photos I do recognise, and the 25 pdr gunpit is in the forground.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards

OpStormTrooper

cheers op storm, of the phots that i've seen it looks like the BATT house would of been behind the fort by the sea, to the left if you look at the top phot, if that makes sense. having looked at the gunpit (remains of) that is certainly what i thought it was, with the ammo pit on the opposite side.

I would like to recommend a recent (for me) book 'A Monk in the SAS' by Paul Sibley. This is a 'must read' for anyone who was in Oman/Dhofar in the 70's and also a really good read for anyone interetsed in the Dhofar campaign or Oman in general. Available via Amazon and other places.

John_Gant said:
I would like to recommend a recent (for me) book 'A Monk in the SAS' by Paul Sibley. This is a 'must read' for anyone who was in Oman/Dhofar in the 70's and also a really good read for anyone interetsed in the Dhofar campaign or Oman in general. Available via Amazon and other places.
If that is your surname, do you have a brother named Mick?

John_Gant said:
OpStormTrooper will be pleased that you said that :D :D