Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DFID finally on its way

You have no money and debts to pay. You have a standing order to a charity. What advice would the CAB give?
Get an instant loan and borrow more so you can give it away? An oversimplification I know but China?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Fine. Then keep it but find the defence money from somewhere else.

From what I've read from numerous posters on here, the DfID money tends to achieve poorly, if I might put it like that.

Can anybody point to any stunning successes which justify the ring-fencing? If so, great. If not, and it's all just bribes to despots, then get rid.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You have no money and debts to pay. You have a standing order to a charity. What advice would the CAB give?
Get an instant loan and borrow more so you can give it away? An oversimplification I know but China?
India basically told us they didn't want it.

The irony is that if this is all just a back door away of supporting the defence industry, I can think of a navy, army and air force very close to home that collectively need a rather large shot in the arm.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not to my knowledge . . under what pretext ?!

The majority of training of internationals in the Army (and, I assume, the Andrew and Crabs) is funded by the UK taxpayer. It's called diplomatic soft power.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The majority of training of internationals in the Army (and, I assume, the Andrew and Crabs) is funded by the UK taxpayer. It's called diplomatic soft power.
Not so sure where that soft power has got us - it's just another way of disguising that less = less.

Yokel

LE

I thought that training courses were sold to international partners? In some cases MOD and FCO might decide we should pay for it, but on the whole foreign Governments pay for training their personnel in the UK.

Training local personnel in their own countries is often a military task and paid for by MOD.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought that training courses were sold to international partners? In some cases MOD and FCO might decide we should pay for it, but on the whole foreign Governments pay for training their personnel in the UK.

Training local personnel in their own countries is often a military task and paid for by MOD.
You are correct:

Relevant para on funding is at page 12. I was always told at RMAS that the overseas cadets funded the rest of us not the other way around!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

No.

I don't have access to the whole picture, but in my part of the forest the position is much closer @Bubbles_Barker's assertion to the tune of multiple millions; the Internationals pay something approaching twice the course cost, even allowing for the slots funded by HMG as 'loss leading' Intl DE.

Whether they get value for money is a different matter entirely.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't have access to the whole picture, but in my part of the forest the position is much closer @Bubbles_Barker's assertion to the tune of multiple millions; the Internationals pay something approaching twice the course cost, even allowing for the slots funded by HMG as 'loss leading' Intl DE.

Whether they get value for money is a different matter entirely.
I spent a ghastly year at what was DLSTG (now DCLPA) as a sprog Lt Col 20 (!) years ago and I seem to recall that we were flogging courses to non-swimmers like nobody's business.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It was a vote pledge, so unless he planned to get into bed with the LD before the election.......
Given that it was Cameron, he probably planned to lead them...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You don't need to know. I'm familiar with the document Bubbles posted. It doesn't mention percentages.
Of course it doesn't - the costs aren't available on open source as far as I know. I do remember them being eye-wateringly expensive for some courses that we delivered, and still do.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
In the meantime, would you like some SOUP.

Slow
Of
Understanding
Poster.

Try a FOI request. I've already told you what the form is here.

Why on earth would I go down the FOI route? Last time I checked, I still hold a MOD90 and can contact someone relevant. The person who fell at the first hurdle BL was you. A simple challenge and you flunked it. You might be important in 'human terms'* but you clearly don't sit on the G7 desk at RMAS.

*What does that actually mean?