DFAC Recipes

There's a reason they were called FOB Nice and Lash Vegas.

On the other hand, Bastion was a steaming pile of fat soldiers stealing all available oxygen. There was definitely a balance to be struck between eating ORP and dodging bullets in a PB and getting depressed at the dregs in Bastion and Kandahar. Price and Lash were probably in that sweet spot.
FOB Dwyer was an oddity. Americans did a huge op in the area and ended up just leaving behind tonnes of MREs instead of moving them with them. So the cooks there had all the mix and match of UK and US rations plus, because it had a refrigerated ISO container, it could stock piles of fresh food when it became through. For some reason, they always had melons available.

The only redeeming feature for HQ ISAF was the food. Contracted out to Supreme based in Dubai.

Apart from that, I hated the place!

KBR (US version) had a cracking little DFAC in KAF but it shut down the day before the new DFAC commenced, 2007.
"Wah/my Bold"? ... when the African Union Mission in Sudan [AMIS, pic following for further context] re-hatted to become the UN Mission in Darfur [UNAMID] in mid-'08, the Sudanese Gubmint stipulated "no American" contractors could be on-site, accordingly the AMIS-contracted bait-layers were given two weeks to vacate which caused a few problems as the UN Contracting system could not conduct the process to replace them in that time-frame. So, our Dubai-based mates [who had no US involvement, definitely not, no, indeed!] cobbled together another mob to be the bait-layers on the UN Camps. The AMIS mob had provided three squares daily for about USD10, which altho' slop, was colourful enough to vaguely represent what the Menu Board indicated; unfortunately, the "not Supreme" mob's product, which was still slop, but regardless of selection, was all of the same colour, and looked and tasted considerably less appetising, for higher cost to the troops various. To their credit, Supreme managed to contract most of the rail assets in Sudan to deliver product to the major hubs, for on-moving into UN Compounds, where the UN seemed incapable of doing so.

Attachments

• Rules, what rules1.jpg
    Rules, what rules1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11

Boxy

GCM
I was in Alamo at the KMTC, week in week out the same stuff, with the occasional trip to Souter for ‘proper’ food…

ETA: just remembered we could never have runny fried eggs at Alamo, or Marmite

We were forbidden from going over to Leatherneck for steak and lobster because the chargebacks to the MOD were astonishing, apparently!

Supreme, that was them!

JSP 404: Flavour not found
. Still, can't be as bad as Pay As You Di[n]e
Nice one, Centurion.

TamH70

MIA
Yon JSP is very informative. I may actually teach myself to chef like an Army one.

The only redeeming feature for HQ ISAF was the food. Contracted out to Supreme based in Dubai.

Apart from that, I hated the place!

KBR (US version) had a cracking little DFAC in KAF but it shut down the day before the new DFAC commenced, 2007.
Supreme took over the catering contract at KAF in mid 2007. Vast improvement over the KBR US DFAC.

arfah

ADC
Supreme took over the catering contract at KAF in mid 2007. Vast improvement over the KBR US DFAC.

It took a while, IMO.

First day Cambridge DFAC opened they were totally unprepared and very short of rations. It took a couple of weeks to get sorted.
The NAAFI, USPX & Canadian PX were in greater demand and the queues at Tim Hortons, shocking!

When in Bastion I preferred the Royal Anglian’s smaller DFAC. RLC chefs

At Shorqat[SP] we made our own chicken and chips served with the local toenail bread and washed down with gut rot (choice of yellow or orange).

It was a terrific morale boost as it was normally ORP. We had acquired the chickens(live), potatoes and oil via the terps from the local population. One of the lads grew up on a farm and knew how to prepare the chickens.

of course, because it was morale boosting some officer told us we couldn’t do it again.
I remember the state of the local bread. It was incredibly bad. The only local thing worth eating was the melon.

I remember the state of the local bread. It was incredibly bad. The only local thing worth eating was the melon.

The bread was OK when I was there, quite nice in fact. God only knows what was in the bottles of fizzy stuff we bought.

Supreme....so now would be a good time to give some insight to them. Some comments on their food and they did a good job doing what they did which i hasten to add was not the only part of the log supply they did, they were heavily involved in the fuel contract out there. In fact they probably had 75% of the fuel operation so you can imagine the profit made was substantial. Going back to food, the issue was as they got bigger delivering at one point to over 50 bases in Afghanistan they also, how shall i put it, didn't manage their side of the DLA contract as well as they should of done. It started getting messy between the DLA and Supreme to the point that the DLA were witholding monthly payment in some cases around $540m. Yes, you read that right, $540m.
In KAF they had both the fuel and food contracts but 2014 they lost the fuel and then year or so later the US being the bigger player in the room, basically told them to leave and DLA brought in Dyncorp. There was a big litagation between Supreme and DLA which i think went on until last year which was then settled but a contract involving billions (2011 DLA paid Supreme $3billion alone!) then it was always going to get messy. Now, i dont think as a contracting entity they exist. They certainly did not bid on any fuel or food contracts after 2015 for Afghanistan and although their website is up, not much has changed on it.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yon JSP is very informative. I may actually teach myself to chef like an Army one.
Oi, you can't just pick up the Holy Grail and "become" an Army chef, you have to fail the course first!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Oi, you can't just pick up the Holy Grail and "become" an Army chef, you have to fail the course first! (Do you actually think we read that thing?)

arfah

ADC
Weirdest meal I had in a DFAC (KBR(US) was in KAF.

Lunchtime: Spider crab legs (which are long btw) and a bowl of strawberry ice cream.

Worst: Breaded Catfish. Supreme DFAC at Kabul airport (KAIA)

Poppycock

War Hero
Going off the interest in this thread & the lack of interest in current events in Afghanistan I'm gaining a whole new understanding of why we got our arrses kicked so badly in Helmand

Going off the interest in this thread & the lack of interest in current events in Afghanistan I'm gaining a whole new understanding of why we got our arrses kicked so badly in Helmand
The espresso machine at the "cafe" next to the EFI in Bastion 2 used to ocassionally breakdown, so they would charge us half price for instant coffee instead. Some people just don't understand the hardships we faced out there.

Latest Threads