DFAC Recipes

Was anyone successful in getting recipes from the chefs at the Bastion DFACs? I've asked KBR many times, but they just don't want to know.

Are you talking about the yank stuff? That is awful.

I suspect KBR don’t know, I always got the impression it was processed shit that was just heated up.

If it wasn’t their chefs are really, really bad.

Boxy

GCM
Was anyone successful in getting recipes from the chefs at the Bastion DFACs? I've asked KBR many times, but they just don't want to know.

Why would you? A 14 day menu that repeated every week?

Initially the novelty factor over looked the fare but after the third month…

Boxy

GCM
Are you talking about the yank stuff? That is awful.

I suspect KBR don’t know, I always got the impression it was processed shit that was just heated up.

If it wasn’t their chefs are really, really bad.

Never known people who could destroy steak so well

Why would you? A 14 day menu that repeated every week?

Initially the novelty factor over looked the fare but after the third month…
On my second tour it was 10 days, and a lot of the good stuff had gone. I'm still pining for chili beef, tho.

Poppycock

War Hero
The DFAC pastry chefs were absolutely geniuses.

Or so I thought until the Danish pastries were missing one morning. Turns out they were flown in fresh from Brize each morning, but the Air Danish pastry plane had got pinged on the airstrip at Brize that day and couldn't fly.

The DFAC pastry chefs were absolutely geniuses.

Or so I thought until the Danish pastries were missing one morning. Turns out they were flown in fresh from Brize each morning, but the Air Danish pastry plane had got pinged on the airstrip at Brize that day and couldn't fly.
Even I was certain those weren't fresh, and neither was the cheese :x
They also used to fly in cake form the "Ministry of Cake" in Devon, IIRC

Also, I have never got past frankfurters for breakfast.

Last edited:
Price had the best food, followed by Lash.

arfah

ADC
The only redeeming feature for HQ ISAF was the food. Contracted out to Supreme based in Dubai.

Apart from that, I hated the place!

KBR (US version) had a cracking little DFAC in KAF but it shut down the day before the new DFAC commenced, 2007.

Last edited:
KAF eventaully had 4 DEFAC's catering to the various needs or should i say nationailites. Once the brits left in 14/15 the Cambridge closed and the best one was Northline which catered for those mainly on the flightline. Niagra just made your clothes smell of fried anything although brunch on a Sunday was ok. Later on they re-opened Cambridge.
Supreme food was probably the only thing Supreme did ok at. Even if they did massively over claim on transportation costs getting food to bases. Dont mention the fuel contract though.........

I never got to go to Price or Lash. Just KAF after a colleague managed to spray half his left hand all over the lab.

Price was Danes and they seemed adult about looking after it’s troops. There was a rumour that lobster was served on occasion, but I never saw any.

Lash was full of officers, so stands to reason they would look after themselves. I don’t think they realise they were protected by idiots - i was once tasked to a crack in the road.

Bastion got Lobster and Steak.....because the USO brought them over from Leatherneck! KAF always had surf and turf night but with crab claws not lobster. To be fair it may of been an American base but being a NATO contract it was good old ex-mil UK chefs running the contracts with a Contractor. When Dyncorp with DLA took over the milk shakes and proper english brekky was out and grits, "biscuits" and Gatorade was in which even the US mil thought was nats pish. A few weeks later they wished the NATO contract was still providing the food....reap what you sow my American chums!

Bastion got Lobster and Steak.....because the USO brought them over from Leatherneck! KAF always had surf and turf night but with crab claws not lobster. To be fair it may of been an American base but being a NATO contract it was good old ex-mil UK chefs running the contracts with a Contractor. When Dyncorp with DLA took over the milk shakes and proper english brekky was out and grits, "biscuits" and Gatorade was in which even the US mil thought was nats pish. A few weeks later they wished the NATO contract was still providing the food....reap what you sow my American chums!

We were forbidden from going over to Leatherneck for steak and lobster because the chargebacks to the MOD were astonishing, apparently!

The only redeeming feature for HQ ISAF was the food. Contracted out to Supreme based in Dubai.

Apart from that, I hated the place!

KBR (US version) had a cracking little DFAC in KAF but it shut down the day before the new DFAC commenced, 2007.

Supreme, that was them!

It's not KBR DFAC food but the UK Slop Jockey bible is on MODNet as JSP404

JSP 404: Flavour not found. Still, can't be as bad as Pay As You Di[n]e

Price was Danes and they seemed adult about looking after it’s troops. There was a rumour that lobster was served on occasion, but I never saw any.

Lash was full of officers, so stands to reason they would look after themselves. I don’t think they realise they were protected by idiots - i was once tasked to a crack in the road.
Seeing as it's you, will tell you my lobster dining in Bastion. Week after RSOI, we were moved to temporary accomodation in Bastion 2. First meal there, I asked for steak, and the chef asked if I wanted lobster with it. Figured if there's americans, there's lobster. Was only at Bastion 2 for another week before my stint in Delhi. It was amazing that the British cooks could make two different meals a day with bacon grill, KOKA noodles, rice and canned vegetables. Anyway, as we had Gurkhas we also had the Diwali celebrations late autumn. That meant we had a supply of fresh eggs for a few days before the Gurkhas had their fun with the chickens, and we had a day access to fresh chicken. Then back to the bacon grill...

Price had the best food, followed by Lash.
There's a reason they were called FOB Nice and Lash Vegas.

On the other hand, Bastion was a steaming pile of fat soldiers stealing all available oxygen. There was definitely a balance to be struck between eating ORP and dodging bullets in a PB and getting depressed at the dregs in Bastion and Kandahar. Price and Lash were probably in that sweet spot.

There's a reason they were called FOB Nice and Lash Vegas.

On the other hand, Bastion was a steaming pile of fat soldiers stealing all available oxygen. There was definitely a balance to be struck between eating ORP and dodging bullets in a PB and getting depressed at the dregs in Bastion and Kandahar. Price and Lash were probably in that sweet spot.

At Shorqat[SP] we made our own chicken and chips served with the local toenail bread and washed down with gut rot (choice of yellow or orange).

It was a terrific morale boost as it was normally ORP. We had acquired the chickens(live), potatoes and oil via the terps from the local population. One of the lads grew up on a farm and knew how to prepare the chickens.

of course, because it was morale boosting some officer told us we couldn’t do it again.

Latest Threads