Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Developing An App

Mods please move to a more suitable forum if needed.

I'm needing to develop a simple app for daily PPE inspection across all our projects. The contractors would complete it daily via their phone then upload at the end of the week. These inspections would then be collated into reports for our clients.

Does anyone have any experience with the process and costs involved or (even better) a solution that's already on the market?

Thanks,

P-T

JP47

LE
Mods please move to a more suitable forum if needed.

I'm needing to develop a simple app for daily PPE inspection across all our projects. The contractors would complete it daily via their phone then upload at the end of the week. These inspections would then be collated into reports for our clients.

Does anyone have any experience with the process and costs involved or (even better) a solution that's already on the market?

Thanks,

P-T
Have you had a look at Google forms mate?
Currently doing something similar and it appears to work.

The difficulty in developing an actual app really depends on your background/coding experience. For iOS, it’s done in XCode, which is the Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for all Apple devices. It only runs on a Mac, so you’d need one of those. To release the App in the App Store requires membership of their Developer program, which is a $99 annual subscription. You would need to learn either Swift or Objective-C, which is a superset of the C language. Swift is more akin to JavaScript. If this is familiar, then your only costs would be a Mac and the subscription. Basically $1000 for what you need. If it’s all Greek to you, then you’d need to pay someone to do it, but wouldn’t need the Mac, assuming they released it on your behalf.

For Android, I have no experience in that at all, but I believe it is written in Java. There are open source IDEs for Java, so the cost would be basically zero. I’ve no idea about their App Store though.

There are also cross-platform app development environments, and again, no experience personally, but I think Adobe has a solution for that.

But I agree with @JP47, Google Forms is very simple and free. But if you need to log photos etc, that’s not as simple. Office365 has a Forms-type app too. Or use Qualtrics online survey.

Latest Threads