Developed Vetting - OPMI

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by camz, Jul 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I am looking for some advice if possible from anyone in the know.

Basically, during my first visit to the ACIO, I mentioned my interest in the OPMI role and the CA basically flat out told me that I had no chance due to only having resided in the UK for about 4 years. I lived abroad (United Arab Emirates / Oman) due to my father's work for all but around 6 early years of my life. My CA said that due to it being the Middle East there was little chance of that being acceptable when undergoing DV.
    I hold a British passport only and both my parents are British.

Having read a few posts on here about Dual-Nationality not being an issue, even though the official line says it is, I got my hopes up a little bit (silly perhaps). Does anyone here believe it is worth investigating further, perhaps getting my CA to look into it more?

At the end of the day, if it is not possible, I will still be joining the Army (Royal Signals) and if 5 years down the line I am not happy will come out and look into INT Corps TA.
  2. Dont get your hopes up. I am not 100% sure about this but I believe the current advice on DV suitability is the same for Reg and STAB INT CORPS personnel.
  3. By that time I would have 10 years residence and should still fulfil the rest of the criteria, at least according to this:
  4. Yep.

I wouldn't refer to the TA as STABs given the high level of mobilisation to support the regular corps.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. But that 5 years extra in the UK will put him over the bench mark for vetting STABS or reg.
  6. Camz, I believe it is worth you pushing the CA a little harder. Clearances can/have been granted without years of service or residence in the UK. Each application for vetting is treated on its merits. Suggest your CA calls DVA direct and explains your circumstances.
  7. Thanks for the advice.

I didn't want to bother my CA without getting some opinion's of people in the know (I hope!). Will speak to him about it next week after my pre-adsc and see what he says.

Am I right in saying that gaining DV clearance is started if and when you pass the Chicksands selection course?

Thank you for all your replies, I realise this is not a recruitment forum, but it is great to hear from guys who have been there and done it.
  8. No offence intended. As INT CORPS TA myself I tend to use the term as I find it amusing.

Of course it is far from the truth, sitting in the scoffer the other day I had an Oxbridge graduate on either side (one with PhD) and flanking them two lawyers. And that is in the junior ranks mess.
  9. Camz,

I wouldn't dismiss getting DV clearance out of hand simply on residency, particularly if you were born a UK citizen, your parents are both UK citizens and you have a complete and checkable background. The DV process is both long and generally thorough (up to 6 months and more) and providing you have lived in a country that is seen as friendly to the UK and with an agreement between Security Services, background and other checks can be investigated. I know because although each Department in Government applies different rules, a number of Civil Servants with the same criteria as you have been granted DV.
  10. Can also wind a few people up by stating the acronym refers to; 'Still The Army's Best'
  11. Thank you for your reply.

I did not know it could take 6 months, although thinking about it know it makes alot of sense considering national security is at stake. I take it this means that once you have passed all stages of the application you must wait until you are cleared before being loaded on to a intake?

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  12. The main issue you face is residency. In theory, you need to have spent the 10 years prior to your DV application in the UK, hence why they add this bit in the career pamphlets. This isn't set in stone and all the other government agencies that conduct DV (FCO, SIS, MI5) all state that the residency requirement can be wavered on a case-by-case basis. In theory, the NBS DSV, which is responsible for DV within the MOD, does this as well. However, their page within the MOD website states that there are 'budget restraints' and the overall impression is that the DBS NSV staff are overworked and swamped with applications. As such, they will dump any applicant that doesn't immediately satisfy the 10 year residency and you will have to appeal in order for your application to be reconsidered (this is all from personal experience).

You will be required to give character references that cover the previous 10 years and the main issue is that they have to be interviewed by the DBS NSV staff. If you haven't lived in the UK for long, you will have referees that will live outside of the UK. In the good old days, the vetting staff would travel abroad to interview them, but I really don't think they will do this any more.

Unfortunately, the only time in the UK that counts is the years immediately prior to your DV application - it doesn't work cumulatively. I'm not sure the MOD has quite woken up to the idea of globalisation and it's a right pain in the ass, but they aren't in the business of taking unnecessary risks (and rightly so).

For the regulars, if my knowledge serves me correctly, DV is started near the end of the OPMI 3 course. I'm not really sure what happens if you can't get it, as more and more posts require DV as a minimum standard.

With that said, push your CA to find out the deal. Whilst I have had my own experience, you may undergo a different process.
  13. I will be honest with you (unusual for me I know), I went through Op Int & Sy AIII training back in 1974/1975 as a transferee, when we required NV (Normal Vetting) before we joined the course. However, we also had to complete a PV (Positive Vetting) questionnaire which was carried out whilst in training. It had to be completed before we were posted to our first unit or we could be on Held Strength of the Depot or else RTU'd. This in fact happened to a couple of guys on my course, and one, who already held PV which was suspended for other reasons was eventually discharged without being posted. For PV then read DV now.

When I joined the Civil Service in 1994, because I had actually left the Army, my DV had expired and I had to go through the complete DV process again with one exception - it was fast tracked because I had already gone through the process in the Army/
  14. Thanks for your reply.

I had also heard on the grapevine that there was a backlog on security clearance for the forces, a pity they are binning some applications at face value, but then again it is a sign of the times that they can afford to be picky.

I will ask him to look into it whilst carrying on with my application and doing my best to keep my hopes down.

Thanks for your honesty, I appreciate your post, even if the process was different.

At the end of the day, If I cannot join now. From what I gather from the sticky on the subject, that there is the opportunity to transfer if you are good enough to get on and pass the selection. Whether that will persist in this so called army 2020, who knows, but whilst there is a chance I will keep my hopes up.
  15. Irony shield wasn't on.

Hope you checked for your wallet with the company you were keeping.....