Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deutschland 83...

So far, so good.

Early 80s recreated well, and its salutary to see how the East felt threatened too. Nice to see the LKBs -takes me back...

Berets need sorting mind. 'Twas ever thus.

Poppy

LE
I enjoyed it - will continue watching next Sunday

Not proper early 80s Germany without BAOR, yellow handbags, Wolfgang, Active Edge, firearm whose name I can't recollect, nurses bus....etc

I was 18 in 1983 and spent the summer picking grapes in France, smoking Gauloise and trying (usually unsuccessfully) to shag any female with a pulse. It's only in recent years, with information released about Able Archer and other revelations, that you realise how close to war we were in those days.

I was 18 in 1983 and spent the summer picking grapes in France, smoking Gauloise and trying (usually unsuccessfully) to shag any female with a pulse. It's only in recent years, with information released about Able Archer and other revelations, that you realise how close to war we were in those days.
I don't think we were really, there was a perception that we were but TBH I think the modern world is much more unstable.

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
You realise that a certain person is going to pop up soon and say East Germany wasn't like that, it was more utopic...

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer

X59

LE
I don't think we were really, there was a perception that we were but TBH I think the modern world is much more unstable.

Got tense when Soviet Migs shot down that Korean 747 (with Americans on board).

Doesn't get any less mental now when you consider fighter jets closing in to PID a civilian airliner, albeit over restricted airspace.

Then just shooting iit down.

Ramstein

Swinger
Have to say that I enjoyed watching it, certainly more realistic than many military productions but I seem to remember the Germans having much longer hair and many of them wearing uniforms that were either not ironed or looking like they were bags of shit tied in the middle with string (or both!)

Not sure how recent is recent given that Gordievsky published most of the details in 1992

Favourite character so far is the crusty old secretary. The Mistress of the Withering Look.

Have to say that I enjoyed watching it, certainly more realistic than many military productions but I seem to remember the Germans having much longer hair and many of them wearing uniforms that were either not ironed or looking like they were bags of shit tied in the middle with string (or both!)

Maybe you are thinking of the 1970s when the German Hair Force and unions were active, but by the 1980s, the Bundeswehr was quite an effective Force, well led, fed and looked after, with better accommodation and equipment compared to many others in NATO. The Dutch suffered from much the same problem and would take a vote before going on exercise etc.

Favourite character so far is the crusty old secretary. The Mistress of the Withering Look.

I shagged her.......and felt guilty afterwards:eek:

Just caught it on 4OD. Seems to capture the feel of the time well enough. It does show how good the East German Foreign Int service was. I'm double heading at the moment with that and reading Red Rabbit, Tom Clancy novel set in 82. It's not too bad once you get past his stereotypical English types - and he has a real bug up his arrse about the NHS, depicting two surgeons leaving a patient mid op to go for a pub lunch (though given the state of the NHS in the 80s he may be closer to the truth than we give him credit for)

NSP

LE
Just caught it on 4OD. Seems to capture the feel of the time well enough. It does show how good the East German Foreign Int service was. I'm double heading at the moment with that and reading Red Rabbit, Tom Clancy novel set in 82. It's not too bad once you get past his stereotypical English types - and he has a real bug up his arrse about the NHS, depicting two surgeons leaving a patient mid op to go for a pub lunch (though given the state of the NHS in the 80s he may be closer to the truth than we give him credit for)
I almost wrote to my MP asking if the government, as the political embodiment of the nation, could sue for libel to the nation when I read that, and for slandering our bathroom plumbing arrangements, which are there to suit us and not gormless Spams who can't rinse the basin between cleaning their teeth and washing, as we prefer not to headbutt the tap (not faucet) when rinsing the face or mouth with cupped handfuls of water.

Then I sobered up and found the idling outrage bus had ran out of fuel whilst in my cups.

He's still a chod for suggesting it, though. Casual racism!

Last edited:

Latest Threads