Detroit goes bankrupt--an icon of progressivist failure

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, Jul 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. A mate of mine worked for McClaren years ago and got a job offer from GM, he took it and moved to Detroit. Came back three weeks later saying it was the most frightening place he`d ever lived, got mugged twice by dusky`s in the first week and nearly stabbed by another on his day of departure. A real shithole apparently, so not surprising.
    The question has to be what is different now from the 1960s, lack of manufacturing output ? lazy population ?, lack of opportunity ?

2. Even more heavily unionised (or unionized) workforce who want to work 1100-1300, with an hour off for lunch, plus the full range of pensions, medical, dental, college funds for their kids etc.

Just speculating like.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Spot on with the slightest addition of public sector employees (many corrupt as illustrated by the continual chain of prosecutions for fraud, extortion, bribes and violating the public trust) who also want such benefits on the backs of the people they keep down in modern day plantations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/11/us-usa-crime-kilpatrick-idUSBRE92A0HV20130311

http://www.clickondetroit.com/blob/view/-/19272806/data/1/-/150pior/-/City-corruption-tally.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coleman Young. Probably the most corrupt and longest serving mayor of Detroit. And he's been gone for almost ten years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  5. Take your pick. As to the latter, however, do not think it is the stereotypically used excuse of white "racism" as Detroit, like a great many of the larger metro areas in the US today, is wholly controlled by blacks.

• Like Like x 2
  6. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I think your example exaggerates the Detroit work ethic.

7. Is there a provision in American law to raze a city to the ground and start again?

Can you guys in America see Detroit ever getting back on its feet?

8. Plus rather like our own car industry they made the equivalent of the Austin Allegro. Apart from the 1976 Dodge sedan A38 model of course.

blues bros.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I say old boy, kicking a chap when he's down and all that...

10. I believe ToryBoy is thinking of Dagenham in the 1970s. Remember when the Ford factory was shut down when the price of rolls in the canteen went up by a penny?

I blame the demise of Motown records. The youth of today simply don't appreciate finely crafted tunes sung by a smartly dressed group who can actually sing. The fact that the Four Tops are now down to the One Top following the death of Levi Stubbs does not help matters.

A little while ago, I read that there are entire housing estates in Detroit where where every house is repossessed by the banks after the owners defaulted. Small businesses are moving in as they can buy the houses for next to nothing. Business owners will buy a house, turn it in to a workshop and buy the house next door to live in.

I also read stories of businesses investing in central Detroit so perhaps there are some green shoots starting to appear.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well the thought was in my head in my original post and I didn`t want to say it but...."Is this a black thing".
    When you consider how badly certain parts of Africa are run, is there a certain amount of transferance ? Not necessarily due to race, but mindset through race, even though the occupants may have several generations of US born ancestors ?

12. http://educationviews.org/lbjs-war-on-poverty-destroyed-blacks/
    It is definitely NOT an inherent flaw in blacks. There are many who give the lie to such racism (from both whites and blacks who do not like the fact they are self-reliant well educated but horror or of all horrors conservative in their politics and ideology). What has been done to America's blacks under the guise of the "War on Poverty," "urban renewal" and other progressivist programs has destroyed the previously well intact and faith based nuclear family and substituted the federal government for the fathers and husbands. A perfect way to subjugate a discrete and reliable voting bloc.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well the Illinois judiciary is now involved and has spoken. What it has said is that the bankruptcy petition violates the state's laws and constitution, because itviolates pension benefits (precisely what got it into the mess in the first place)

14. Michigan?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)