Detox monastery

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by singha61, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Thamkrabok monastery in Saraburi, Thailand, runs a detox program where both Thais and foreigners alike experience a Buddhist approach to drug rehabilitation. For the first five days addicts take a herbal medicine that facilitates a rapid detoxification, causing immediate vomiting. Addicts are expected to stay at least a week at the monastery after they make their vow, but are welcome to reside at the monastery for weeks until they feel mentally and physically cleansed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthpicturegalleries/7300344/Detox-monastery-drug-addicts-go-into-rehab-at-Thamkrabok-monastery-in-Saraburi-Thailand.html

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If it works for 1 out of 100 then that is a success. Any dependancy programme has poor results as the people using the service were 'dependant' - the very word shows how hard it can be.

But if it works for that one person - then great, let it continue. I just wish people would stop nay-saying things because of the % outcomes. We have become a nation of looking for value for money in everything without recognising the people it does help.

3. Great point Auld-Yin - one of my supervisors said this once. If a study finds an intervention works for only one person that was involved in the study, does that mean the intervention should be resigned to the rubbish heap? (she was Romanian - hence the wording, but director of ethics & research for an NHS trust).

Although regarding this treatment, the unit I used to work at had a reasonably high success rate. Although that was normally with the clients who made plans during their time to relocate, plan for the future etc (the course was 6-12 months long). Meditation of sorts (mindfulness to be exact) was also one small aspect of the programme, and many people said they got a lot out of it; so maybe that aspect of this programme is good. Although one of the biggest causes of relapse is the returning to the old environment, where all of the old cues etc are still present (reminders, druggy friends etc) - which I doubt this programme can account for in it's treatment.

It's probably fine for physical side of addiction, but the psychological side needs longer than a couple of weeks.

4. Why bother coming home from Thailand for some heroin??