Detailed Camp Bastion Map on Google Earth

Poppycock

War Hero
Having spent 6mths of my life there (summer 2012) I was pleased to see a fully viewable Camp Bastion on Google Earth (and high-resolution images on Google Maps too)

Screen shot from google earth with burn pit chuffing away; best images are in the 'historical images' opinion, back to April2013

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 08.55.03.png

This screen shot shows my cot, my chow hall / ice cream parlour and my main place of work. Still can't locate the gym though...

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 14.39.54.png

Having spent 6mths of my life there (summer 2012) I was pleased to see a fully viewable Camp Bastion on Google Earth (and high-resolution images on Google Maps too)

Screen shot from google earth with burn pit chuffing away; best images are in the 'historical images' opinion, back to April2013

View attachment 634508

This screen shot shows my cot, my chow hall / ice cream parlour and my main place of work. Still can't locate the gym though...

View attachment 634519
Did you locate the gym when you were there though?

I sincerely hope that the runway has been permanently disabled by now and that any of the buildings we handed over to ANA have been droned to death, particularity the accommodation right next to the sewage treatment plant that was conveniently located right next to where I had to sleep for a week.

Couldn't wait to get out of that hellhole.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bastion.jpg

This from 2011. We left first Q 2010 if I recall. Fyi if it was us there when that was took, the Jackals would be out on ops!!

Last edited:
Where was the hospital, my nursey daughter spent 6 months there.

Good thing you did'nt say your daughter was a Dr. My nephew spent 6 months there as a Sgt and shagged the Major, regularly.

View attachment 634530

This from 2011. We left first Q 2010 if I recall. Fyi if it was us there when that was took, the Jackals would be out on ops!!

I was last there Oct 2012. In went into decline rapidly, and deliberately a couple of years later -

which reminds me - BFBS's Laura Hawkins is also a bit of a honey and worth a watch.

1643213462610.png

I wonder if she was ever banged in Bastion?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I was last there Oct 2012. In went into decline rapidly, and deliberately a couple of years later -

which reminds me - BFBS's Laura Hawkins is also a bit of a honey and worth a watch.

View attachment 634544

I wonder if she was ever banged in Bastion?

There were all sorts of celebs visiting. Lucy Pinder I believe was one? Some throbber from the Special Pen Service came in one day to the compound all excited. We were on turnaround for another op.

"Great news guys, we've managed to get one of our celebrity stars to swing by here tomorrow!'
Tomorrow was a stand down day before going out.
"Who is it? Page 3 model? Nuts girl??"
"Ray Winston!"
"......."

We told him to take him elsewhere. We didn't need another loud mouth dirty bastard around the place!

Nothing like that in 2017 when I was there. Lots of open spaces where the tents were obviously and only perm infra left. Workshops we built had the doors/openings hanging off in a mess. Because of Camp Shorabak that the US setup then the runway was being used to bring in and out personnel if you didnt arrive by helicopter direct to Shorabak HLS. To get to and from Shorabak and airfield was by MRAP as Bastion wasnt really safe with what ANA was still there......certainly no walking around. We delivered a load of fuel in IL76 and civ C130's so Force Protection from the US had to deploy to provide protection whilst we were defuelling into US tankers.
IMG_1149.JPG

It was pointed out once as I was on my way for steak dinner night at the DFAC just across the road. I had an extra ice-cream pudding that night and dealing with the ice-cream induced brain freeze made me forget all about the gym...

View attachment 634541
I only used the gym in the week before our PFT prior to homecoming. Always seemed to ignore them otherwise. Far too close to where the delicious food was served

There were all sorts of celebs visiting. Lucy Pinder I believe was one? Some throbber from the Special Pen Service came in one day to the compound all excited. We were on turnaround for another op.

"Great news guys, we've managed to get one of our celebrity stars to swing by here tomorrow!'
Tomorrow was a stand down day before going out.
"Who is it? Page 3 model? Nuts girl??"
"Ray Winston!"
"......."

We told him to take him elsewhere. We didn't need another loud mouth dirty bastard around the place!

I’ll let my mate Ray know.

Poppycock

War Hero
This is interesting. I assume done in light of the Taliban's September 2012 attack on Bastion's airfield:

That lovely busy & bushy compound (SE corner of Bastion) that had the village mosque (200m from the fence) got bulldozed & a new bund line constructed 400m out from the chainlink perimeter fence.

Reassuring they finally got security right before we left... I guess we'll know for next time

eta The next time the Taliban snuck in through the main gates, in the back of an empty sewage truck.

April 2013:
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 22.39.52.png

October 2013
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 22.40.04.png

Last edited:

Poppycock

War Hero
Anyone remember the collection of restaurants, a mini PX and occasional outdoor movie showings? Just down the road from DFAC1 as I recall & as arrowed.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 20.14.50.png

I never got to see a movie but the restaurant was surreal; like stepping into an upmarket diner in the US, Filipino waitress & lounge music to boot

japseyewarrior

War Hero
Anyone remember the collection of restaurants, a mini PX and occasional outdoor movie showings? Just down the road from DFAC1 as I recall & as arrowed.

View attachment 634828

I never got to see a movie but the restaurant was surreal; like stepping into an upmarket diner in the US, Filipino waitress & lounge music to boot
Called Blue something I think wasn't it? Had an Italian/pizza restaurant too?

Poppycock

War Hero
I spent a few days in the sun down here, reclaiming parts from scrapped jackals; location of sign marked with red arrow on the map below, NE corner of the camp, by the airfield

P1000070.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 20.48.33.png

Called Blue something I think wasn't it? Had an Italian/pizza restaurant too?
I think you're right on both but I couldn't find it on the map - can you @japseyewarrior ?

Last edited:

Latest Threads