Detachment/Company Websites

Discussion in 'ACF' started by benwiltsacf, Jul 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I wanted to draw on peoples experience of putting together websites for your Detachments or Areas. I've noticed a lot of ACF Counties (Surrey and Hants being good examples) have taken the initiative and put together websites for their dets and areas.

I floated the idea of doing the same for my Detachment and met some resistance at County level and the usual answer that such things had to be cleared/authorised/controlled through Brigade. Is this other peoples experience of how these decisions are made and projects authorised?

I'm finding it frustrating that taking the initiative seems rather unfashionable in this organisation.

Any tips/anecdotes/suggestions/experiences would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Ben

2. as long as you get the parents consent you are covered, a standard letter can be got from frimley park, my detachment has a website and is a great form of communication.

the cadets love seeing themselves and their achievements.

3. Also, it's important to remember PERSEC, as in our battalion at the moment, there's a whole kickup about bebo and pictures of adult instructors. It's less of a problem in England as it is over here, mind.

4. With the likes of Bebo and Myspace and other such websites then the cadets will do their own sites anyway. At least if there is an 'official' site then cadets can be encouraged to send anything there and it can be monitored for correct practice and ensure that the ACF ethos is not represented in a bad light.

We have our own official site and our cadets have their own Bebo site as well. As adult instructors we have a responsibility to monitor these and we request the cadets remove anything that shouldn't be there. They know their site is visited by the adults and they now have an idea of what is acceptable and what is not.

You can't stop them from doing a website themselves so surely it is better to encourage an official one but monitor any unofficial ones and let them know that it is being watched.

5. fair one

6. Absolutely - very similar to how we run ours.

My Det has a website that my county is aware of and have no probs with - they even link to it from County main site.

7. you might want to check with your county, ours has banned any websites for detachments/companies and has said that the official county one is the only one we should use!

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Banshee - why don't you go to your County headshed and ask if you can start a blog for your det on the 'fishul website?

That way you can bring what your particular det is doing to the public gaze.

9. seen, however due to the fact that it's a bit of a poorly designed site, and is only updated on the 32nd of each month i don't see it helping much :D

10. Our County adopts the same approach and in fairness to them I can totally see why. Previously a couple of 'independent' well intentioned sites that sprung up within that umbrella were ruined by random individuals and if left on-line would have effectively shown the wider organisation on such an open format in a very poor light.

With that in mind, and I can only comment on the offering of our County in relation to officialy sanctioned sites, its such a shame that they are not updated regularly (even anually would seem like a nice idea ffs!!!!!!!). Such sites are often staid, inactive, behind the times and simply not worth visiting - ergo not serving a productive purpose. The Catch 22 is that because of this they spur on some ACF individuals to create their own more localised formats, which in turn is anathema to what Counties want as they cannot control / monitor them.

Ho hum.