Destroyer Names

Apologies if this has been done before.....

Seems the navy is getting some spangly new, actually quite good ships...... but some of the names are a bit dodge, i feel!

Daring Launch

HMS Daring, Dauntless, Dragon, Defender... these i can understand.... but are 'Diamond' and 'Duncan' suitably warry?

Personally, i think the name should impart terror onto those that oppose it...... anyone think of any good names? Something bloody, like HMS Destructive!!!!

SR10

How about "Thunderchild", a la HG Wells? (War of the Worlds).

If they go for the original full order of 12 (which I doubt), one of them will be called HMS Dainty - now there's a name to strike fear into Her Majestys Foes!

thank fck it wasnt HMS Pansy:

British Flower Class Corvette/Temptress Class Patrol Gunboat: Built 1939 as
the "Flower Class" corvette HMS Pansy by Harland and Wolff Ltd., Belfast

(oh, hellllllooooooooooooo!)

Or if they become the Politician class destroyers, sorry, defence aquatic platforms:

HMS Tony
HMS Gordon
HMS Mandy
HMS Buff
HMS Darling ("Come in Darling")
HMS Cherie

and not to forget RFA Gorgeous George!

moving-target-survivor said:

though credit where credit is due... wouldn't have wanted to be on the HMS Compass Rose (The Cruel Sea)

SR10

You could name the a Mine Sweeper HMS Charles Kennedy after his pub antics. :lol:

moving-target-survivor said:

(oh, hellllllooooooooooooo!)
Yes flower class were the back bone of the WWII anti-submarine fleet I suppose when your getting your arrse kicked like we were in the first few years of WWII the small victories count

from the navy list i was quite disappointed HMS Cockchafer is on the banned list

"If you wish to suggest a name for a future Royal Navy ship, write to the

Chairman of the Ships’ Names and Badges Committee
Head of the Naval Historic Branch,
3-5 Great Scotland Yard,
Whitehall, London SW1A 2HW."

You thinking what I'm thinking?

SunrayOneZero said:
Apologies if this has been done before.....

Seems the navy is getting some spangly new, actually quite good ships...... but some of the names are a bit dodge, i feel!

Daring Launch

HMS Daring, Dauntless, Dragon, Defender... these i can understand.... but are 'Diamond' and 'Duncan' suitably warry?

Personally, i think the name should impart terror onto those that oppose it...... anyone think of any good names? Something bloody, like HMS Destructive!!!!

SR10
Yes it has

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=19551/postdays=0/postorder=asc/highlight=Duncan/

HMS Iron Duke- Ships crest a pile of dead Frenchmen on a hill of dead Frenchmen in a field of....dead Frenchmen.

How about the
HMS Cnut stamper
HMS Bollock buster
HMS Ring piece Fister

Private_Pike said:
HMS Iron Duke- Ships crest a pile of dead Frenchmen on a hill of dead Frenchmen in a field of....dead Frenchmen.
The reality is rather less interesting.

HMS Iron Duke is a Type 23 Duke Class frigate.

Edited as image link didn't work.