Design Engineers Regiment?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by SOLSTICE, May 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. What regiment/regiments are design engineers in, and where will the barracks be? I've heard Chetwynd Barracks?
  2. anyone?
  3. 170 is the home of design for the Corps based in Nottingham. Not a regiment as such but a gathering of cone-heads and CoWs with a few good men thrown in to keep it going!! :p

    Check out the Royal Engineers web pages
  4. pm WitchfinderGeneral

    he's something to do with the Chilwell engineering teams
  5. so they're based in chilwell, i live in nottingham now and chilwell is probably one of my least favourite places to be! Hopefully i'll be on tour or ops more than in the barracks!
  6. Chilwell is just the main Unit for that type of thing. Each Engineer Regiment has a design cell.
  7. There may be hope yet then!
  8. Don't worry, Even if you are sent to Chilwell you will find most of your time spent away on tour and exercises in some shape or form.
  9. I concur having been at 170 since late 04, 3 Op tours, numerous Tactical Infrastructure Recces, exercises plus all the normal "green training" time passes by fairly quick.

    I'm not a CoW either but a normal GR knocker, as for infarstructure engineering 170 is expanding - 66 Wks Gp was established last year and there are rumours flying around that 67 Wks Gp may be getting formed??

    I'd like to know where all the additional (technical) man power is going to come from (could be good bye to the CSC's in regiments)!!

    I certainly didn't want to be posted to 170 but you take the good with the bad, the local and outlying areas are pretty good if you bother your a** to get out and about.

    If you look at 170's main role and location there are worse places to be.
  10. I resemble that remark :cheers: :cheers:

    There are worse place in the Corps to be at least if you are posted to Chilwell "You" will get to do your trade and get masses of experience in design.

    Apart from Germany, Nottingham area is the best place I've served even if the job I do now is probably the worst.

    You might even be posted into a field troop as many draughty's do, it is varied in the Corps for every trade, you can't explain the career paths for trades as EVERYONE has a different path.
  11. Along with 33 EOD, 170 is by far the most deployed unit in the Corps... If you want tours then get your arse to Chilwell. :headbang:
  12. This area I'd love to get involved in...

    Apparently it's really hard to get into though.

    After my holiday next week Im going down the AFCO to see what they say and see if I can fit in :)

    We will see what happens
  13. Well it's all down to Manning and Records where you end up, certainly not the AFCO. You need to pass your relevent trade course first. For design trades (i.e. surveyor, design draughtsman, E & M draughtsman and construction materials technician) you will lucky to get to Chilwell as a Class 2.
  14. What?

    Will the afco not be able to help?

    Would it help knowing quite a bit about architecture? or is that irrelevant
  15. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were talking about. The ACFO will advise you on what trades are available to you. We don't have architects in the Royal Engineers. Our designs are for functionality rather than making a building look pretty which is primarily what architecture is about.

    Having a background knoweldge does help if you are going to be a Design Draughtman as there is a lot to take in. If you can use AutoCAD proficently you are already well ahead of the pack. All you need to do now is get the right BARB test score, get through basic training, Class Three Combat Engineer training and pass your design trade selection with a decent grade. Surveyor and DD are the pick of the bunch so you need to do well at your trade selection. Good luck.