Design Draughtsman

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Eves555, Jan 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been a Design Draughtman in the Royal Engineers for the last 11 years. I signed off 7 months ago and was soon told that the chances of signing back on were next to none as Glasgow stated that the manning was at a max. So with this in mind I looked for alternative employment in Civvy Street, however have found that there is mas shortage of Draughting Jobs available. I'm wondering if there is life outside the Army as a Draughtsman? I'm now 33 years now so I'd like to know if rejoining at a later date would be possible? Any advice please?

2. Yes there is! Do not put your job title as draughtsman though, as they are just CAD monkeys. Look for architectural technologist positions. Look at joining the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists. http://www.ciat.org.uk/en/members/Join_CIAT/
    I know of plenty of draughties who have got out and are working in that field. Look at architectural practices near where you live and see what openings they have. If I were you I would also look at doing some formal 3d CAD training and perhaps some training on AutoCAD Civils which is an awesome piece of software. If you are interested KBR (UK) are normally on the look out for ex DD to join their Design and Management Team in Afghanistan.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me.

3. Plant life, can you do all the extra courses whilst in the Army? Or is it something that would have to be done outside?

4. Depending on where you are you should be able to go on update courses as each version of AutoCAD comes out. As for the rest of it unless you are at Chilwell you probably won't get a thing! Maybe use your SLC or ELC for something.

5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Look for CAD type jobs in likely and unikely places.

My company sells store planning software that is partially built on top of AutoCAD. All the major store chains (Tescos, Dixons, etc) seem to have at least one or two CAD experts on hand. They draw up store plans, locations of services, fixtures, etc.

Spread your net wide when looking for jobs.

Wordsmith.

6. I thought that a lot of the major stores (such as Tesco) are a set layout with the principle contractor having to do the as builts but I may be wrong.
    A couple of mates are now working for their local district councils in the planning department.
    Try www.reed.co.uk , job for jobs, jobsite, monster, brc, edenbrown, defence estates or just construction for starters.

http://www.reed.co.uk/job/searchresults.aspx?k=architectural+technologist&jto=false&s=&l=&lp=&ms=From&mxs=To&st=5&ns=true&da=8630

Food for thought!

7. http://www.englandassociates.co.uk/cad-engineer-job-85296/?session_id={327D0AB0-BB33-403B-8304-81E6C0657134}

A very well paid job for a draughty here, £200 per day!