DESERTERS IN NORTHERN IRELAND

It was Charles Witherspoon of UTV

Now I know for a fact I have been in Tyrone too long. I understand all of that.

ugly

LE
There was a famous Newry interview that sounded similar

A very interesting piece and no doubt some of the old and bold here will have spent some of their time in bandit country. There is a brief mention of Garda - Irish Army cooperation between 14.00 to 15.00 minutes with a brief appearance by Louis. He comes across as uncooperative at the very least.

An "ally" pose rather ruined by the fact that his sights are down!

Another fantasist!

Monday 25th October 1971

Deserter story is fantasy say Army

The Army described as “ a complete fabrication” allegations made at a press conference in Dublin by a 31-year-old man who claimed he was a deserter from the Special Air Service Regiment. Army headquarters at Lisburn said, “This man is obviously a Walter
Mitty type character who does not know fact from fiction. The man, who gave his name as David Seaman, formerly of Anglesea Avenue, Manchester, alleged that the regiment was responsible for the explosion at the Four Steps Inn, Belfast in which two people were killed and 25 injured. He said: “It did not matter who we killed as long as we blackened the name of the IRA.” A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “Nothing of this nature has ever been carried out. Certainly no people have ever been sent over there with explosives. It is complete and utter nonsense.

I was in Muenster, West Germany when we heard about the following incident. I believe the absentee was also serving in Germany and allegedly wanted to avoid an Op Banner tour. Many young guys (18/19 year olds-I was an old experienced 19 year old) thought going to Sweden meant they would have young fair Swedish maidens throwing themselves at the absentees. If I remember he very quickly got bored with life in Sweden and handed himself in to the British Embassy in Stockholm. When I did get a chance to go in 1973 with CYCLOPS, 2RTR, for S-Tank familiarisation, everything, including booze, was too expensive for poor young squaddies!

Thursday 27th April 1972

Swedish work permit for deserter A British Army deserter who sought asylum in Sweden because he did not want to serve in Ireland has been granted residential and work permits “for humanitarian reasons.” Lance Corporal Kevin Cadwallader from Preston is the first British deserter to seek asylum in Stockholm.

Different incident, different year. The 4 Sgts were based at Lisburn and were picked up by two girls who invited them to a party at a house on Belfasts Antrim road. Two gunmen burst in and forced the four soldiers to lie on a bed and then opend up with a Thompson. Three died at the scene and the fourth, a Sgt Green, was severely wounded. He was medevaced to the Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital Woolwich but later transferred to Stoke Mandeville where he was given a joint Met Police/Military 24/7 armed guard.
Sgt Muldoon from the Dental Corps came from my Hometown, I can vaguely recall his funeral as it was big news a soldier getting nutted in Ireland.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh, she was in a league of her own - large cobra springs to mind, looked like a lamb.
Been the same since time immemorial, to quote the motto of one Roman legion, "Angues quod ubera habent, non difficile invenire est."