Deserters hunted down 30 years after Vietnam

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumrunner, Mar 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Deserters hunted down 30 years after Vietnam

By Tim Reid

The Pentagon is arresting old soldiers as thousands of US servicemen are going on the run

THIRTY-SIX years after he deserted from the US Marines to avoid being sent to Vietnam, Ernest “Buck” McQueen believed that the military had long ago given up looking for him.

Read on:-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2097540,00.html

These are interesting stats.

“According to Pentagon records released last week, at least 9,000 members of the all-volunteer US military have deserted in the past three years.

The present desertion rate represents 0.24 per cent of the 1.4 million US force, lower than during the Vietnam war. In 1971 more than 33,000 soldiers deserted, but at a time of a very unpopular draft and after more than 56,000 US troops had died in Vietnam”

2. THIRTY-SIX years after he deserted from the US Marines to avoid being sent to Vietnam, Ernest “Buck” McQueen believed that the military had long ago given up looking for him.

Well it just shows how wrong you can be.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Happens in the UK too

I got to deal with a poor sod who was pulled over for speeding in '99. Cops checked their database - flagged - AWOL - for over 20years. Had his own business, posh car, etc. All very embarressing as he got taken to the local cop shop for the night.

Saying all that, all I did was talk him through the deserter paperwork that folk sign if they are caught after 5 years on the run, posted it to him and got it back in the mail a couple of days later. NFA required on one v relieved man.

Would have loved to see his face when the cops arrested him :D

4. Saw somebody at Arborfield who had been AWOL for twenty years or so. Was caught going to the Costa Plonka with his 2.4 children. Came back for a severe beasting with lots of pleases and thank yous. Was suitably dealt with in a couple of days and was back in civvy street again but don't know if he made the Costa Plonka that year.

5. Will these yanks get thirty years back-pay too? Oh and being American there must be a Deserters Medal...

6. IIRC pay is suspended when one goes AWOL/deserts. Don't know what happens to pension earned before the deed...

7. Fullwit I was using irony but perhaps in your case that is something you use to press your trouser-ys?? :wink:

8. Cuddles, yer absolutely right. I do use my irony to do my trousersy [or should that be sarcasm?].

Mine dew, the comment about the medal might not be soooo far fetched!

Call it a senior moment [I got some sort of flu at the moment (squawk!)].

9. You don't use sarcasm to do your trousers or have I been doing it wrong all these years. Still give him a medal, the fcuking yank probably will get one as the handcuffs caused a nasty scratch. Purple Heart Class C (coward), not so far fetched.

10. Fullwit and mistersoft, I think we are in agreement about our septic colleagues attitude. Time for a beverage of celebration? GWS Fullwit!