Builds Desert war group build, M3 Grant mk1, 1/35th scale full interior detail.

box top.jpg

taking a good look at this kit before I start the build, I'm waiting for modelling clay to arrive for another project that is stalled until it arrives, so as this kit is next on the list lets take a look at it.

the instruction sheets are an impressive booklet, I'll show a few pages of it just to give you a sense of the scale of the project. the parts list.
parts list.jpg

First the colour scheme options, I'm going for that on the left
colour scheme option.jpg

the first two pages
part a instructions.jpg

the engine, later in the build
engine instructions.jpg

LARD

LE
Always been struck by Lee / Grant. Looks like an unlikely amalgam of engineering skills and techniques. I have a cast hull CDL version in the stash waiting.

there are a serious amount of parts with this kit, sprue frames everywhere.
sprue frame everywhere.jpg

I don't know what the parts count is yet.
first ten parts fitted together forming the forward transmission
transmission b.jpg

then the floor plates fitted to the transmission box
floor ansd transmission box.jpg

the transmission tunnel fitted made up from 18 parts. Many more to come.
floor first seventeen parts fitted.jpg

Last edited:
Always been struck by Lee / Grant. Looks like an unlikely amalgam of engineering skills and techniques. I have a cast hull CDL version in the stash waiting.
yes, indeed, a tank of it's time, stopgap while the Sherman was developed, and I think strong influence by the French Char B1

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've always liked the comment by a Sgt from one of the RTRs that "It looked like a ******* cathedral coming down the road"

the m2 75mm short barrel had a counter weight, the longer m3 barrel did not, they were issue around the same era, but the shorter one was phased out of production very early on. But survivors may have seen service in the far east.

the interior is very detailed, I'm lovin it, close ups do highlight mistakes though, like that burr on the steering lever.
seat support.jpg

the engine bulkhead.
engine firewall.jpg

view of the drivers position from the left side
left side lower int.jpg

D

Deleted 136127

are you planning to do a cutaway section as per your Tiger? Looks like a real shame to lose all of that detail

are you planning to do a cutaway section as per your Tiger? Looks like a real shame to lose all of that detail
no, I'm placing figures and a piece of desert ground under it, with all the large hatches open you should get an impression that it has an interior and it's not just an empty shell, which I personally don't like. I wish all modern tank kits had enough interior detail to be visible hatches open. Even if they just added cupola detail.
The floor has had a rather heavy grey wash, that I'm toning down with other colours.
early wash.jpg

I was sharing on my Units Facebook page some old slides I took in 1981 of my unit's first shake out ex when we took over our camp, equipment and vehicles, we would do a halt check every couple of miles and jump out when wheel nuts track tension and anything else in the manual.
2020-11-07_92.JPG

that first ex about a third of the vehicles had trouble.
2020-11-07_96.JPG

but it's given me an idea of my model crew doing a bit of work around the track tension wheel.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was sharing on my Units Facebook page some old slides I took in 1981 of my unit's first shake out ex when we took over our camp, equipment and vehicles, we would do a halt check every couple of miles and jump out when wheel nuts track tension and anything else in the manual.
View attachment 561760
that first ex about a third of the vehicles had trouble.
View attachment 561762
but it's given me an idea of my model crew doing a bit of work around the track tension wheel.
So two working, the rest giving it a good coat of looking at.

six crew on one of these British Grants, so, two working the TA wheel, two with oily rags looking into the rear doors of the engine bay, one working on the puzzle that is the Grant Gun stabilizer, and the commander looking over his map. Everyone busy and happy in their work.
rear engine doors instruction sheet.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted 136127

six crew on one of these British Grants, so, two working the TA wheel, two with oily rags looking into the rear doors of the engine bay, one working on the puzzle that is the Grant Gun stabilizer, and the commander looking over his map and wondering where he was, or which country he may be in. Everyone busy and happy in their work.

FoC

the lower hull sides successful trial fit, have to report that fit so far has been very good. off they come for some white paint.
drivers seat area test fit hull side.jpg

coat of white.
hull sides in white.jpg

red fire extinguisher, and then on they go. Next on, the sponson plates.
sponson plates fitted b.jpg