Desert Storm - Photo needs identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
walt_of_the_walts said:
I didnt think anybody had SLRs in Op. Granby?

Were there any Bn/Coys of the RGJ there? IIRC I remember a mate of mine who was RGJ saying that it was another war they were missing again, just like Op Corporate

Some troops did use the L1A1 in 1991.
In fact I know of at least one image of one, submitted by a ARRSE member in good standing, (on the photo galleries I think) clearly showing him holding a SLR, while riding on an exercise bike.

Which is not to say that this chap is not total pants.

Discovery001

Old-Salt
All teeth arms had SA80, 10 of my unit had them due to the fact we were with the Americans, the rest of the regt had SLR and SMG and even LMG. No formed unit of the Airborne Brotherhood were there except the Band as medics. This bloke is a total walt.

RGJ band were there too I believe.

Maybe someone should ask him if he was a bandy? :twisted:

Can't believe no-one has come up with the obvious "Why aren't the Para's wearing their maroon lids rather than floppy hats". Have you ever seen a para wear anything else soft of his head????????

Aunty Stella said:
although the Walt couldn't even spell that properly)

We know that his Maths and English is terrible, no way would have passed AF Recruiting

CDT_Dodger

Old-Salt
waffen said:
Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Were there any Bn/Coys of the RGJ there? IIRC I remember a mate of mine who was RGJ saying that it was another war they were missing again, just like Op Corporate

Believe me ... some of us carried the old elephant gun & smudge guns as well

Most of 1 RGJs not 2 RGJs, Anti-tank plt went, attached to the Staffords as well as some guys from the Mortar Plt, and we had SA80s not SLRs.

Are you talking about the time when we lost 1, 2 then became 1 and 3 became 2?

Rooper

War Hero
box-of-frogs said:
Have you ever seen a para wear anything else soft of his head????????
Yes, lots of times!!

Holdfast said:
Also, which inf units were still using the SLR in Jan '91. More than likely some loggie unit.

It could be anybody, not just logistic troops! There were far more SLR and SMGs deployed on Granby than SA80, and judging by the fact they are in shirt sleeved order (it was bloody freezing in the later stages of Granby), no mix of temperate and desert combats and the proof of the pudding is the lack of webbing and respirator haversacks which were attached religiously throughout. I'd say this was taken after the end of hostilities (much later on) or, looking very closely at some of the combats worn they are far too clean even for the build up!

Discovery001 said:
All teeth arms had SA80, 10 of my unit had them due to the fact we were with the Americans, the rest of the regt had SLR and SMG and even LMG. No formed unit of the Airborne Brotherhood were there except the Band as medics. This bloke is a total walt.

(My bold)... All teeth arms? The only L85 I saw in ScotsDG was mine as I was attached from another armoured unit that had them issued for NI the year previously. All the rest had SMGs/pistols for tank crewmen and SLR for REME etc...

Boxy

GCM
Yup Smigs aplenty. Capt W what Sqn were you attached to, and was it to bring us up to war strenght ala extra troops in from 17/21? or one of the Battle Capts warrior crews?

analyse_this

Swinger
CDT_Dodger said:
waffen said:
Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Most of 1 RGJs not 2 RGJs, Anti-tank plt went, attached to the Staffords as well as some guys from the Mortar Plt, and we had SA80s not SLRs.

No, he's talking about the time 1 allowed 2 to join them, even if 2 were wrongly under the impression they were 'becoming' 1. And who cares about 3? :)

FFBox said:
Yup Smigs aplenty. Capt W what Sqn were you attached to, and was it to bring us up to war strenght ala extra troops in from 17/21? or one of the Battle Capts warrior crews?

HQ Sqn initially - tank crewman for quite an 'individual' c/s. Anymore than that and I'll compromise meself... :wink:

CDT_Dodger

Old-Salt
analyse_this said:
CDT_Dodger said:
waffen said:
Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

No, he's talking about the time 1 allowed 2 to join them, even if 2 were wrongly under the impression they were 'becoming' 1. And who cares about 3? :)

I was under the impression that 1 wasnt up to scratch so MOD decided to mag to grid - they decided 2 would make a better 1 bolstered by 3.

Rifles aside (wasn´t in at the time but from what I gather from mates who were and posts above there were plenty of both generations of weapons aplenty).

We´ve got...

Spelling mistake in "Desert Storm".
The fact that Brits don´t refer to GW1 as DS, but as Op Granby.
A sneaky op that occured before the Ground War began.
Btn not Bn.
Two units that weren´t even in theatre.
Two of the worlds smallest companies.
No alledged Paras (not one) wearing a Para Hat, as opposed to floppy hat.
SLRs abound, when most if not all inf were on SA80.

analyse_this

Swinger
CDT_Dodger said:
analyse_this said:
CDT_Dodger said:
waffen said:
Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

I was under the impression that 1 wasnt up to scratch so MOD decided to mag to grid - they decided 2 would make a better 1 bolstered by 3.

'Not up to scratch'? Not up to strength maybe... Take an 'F' for regimental history ...

Boxy

GCM
CaptainWillard said:
FFBox said:

HQ Sqn initially - tank crewman for quite an 'individual' c/s. Anymore than that and I'll compromise meself... :wink:

If you were that c/s you'll know big Gus then?, teeth like a horse, common surname, not not me!

waffen

Old-Salt
analyse_this said:
CDT_Dodger said:
analyse_this said:
CDT_Dodger said:
waffen said:
Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

'Not up to scratch'? Not up to strength maybe... Take an 'F' for regimental history ...

Yep thats what I was talking about, the orginal 1 RGJ

waffen said:
analyse_this said:
CDT_Dodger said:
analyse_this said:
CDT_Dodger said:
waffen said:
Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Yep thats what I was talking about, the orginal 1 RGJ

I was attached to the original 1 RGJ at this time, a few of the lads went on Granby from them, we had 4 of the chefs go too. They arrived back in Traz just before a well earned tour of NI, July 91.

CaptainWillard said:
Discovery001 said:

(My bold)... All teeth arms? The only L85 I saw in ScotsDG was mine as I was attached from another armoured unit that had them issued for NI the year previously. All the rest had SMGs/pistols for tank crewmen and SLR for REME etc...

All teeth arms didn't have SA80.

Probably more likely that most UK based units had SA80 by then, however some BAOR based units were still using SLR/SMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.