Desert Storm - Photo needs identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it says B Coy, 2 Para & A Coy, 2 RGJ

This is being used on a walts facebook profile with a "I was there" if anyone was with 2 Para at this time let me know.

Attachments

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
Certainly screams of a photo nicked from the internet somewhere and the text added - poorly.

"Btn" instead of "Bn", "Desertstorm" ( :roll: ) instead of Op GRANBY, etc. Poor.

Other than members of the band there were only 3 members of the Parachute Regiment (not including officers) who served on Op Granby.

Fugly said:
Certainly screams of a photo nicked from the internet somewhere and the text added - poorly.

"Btn" instead of "Bn", "Desertstorm" ( :roll: ) instead of Op GRANBY, etc. Poor.
Indeed. And Ali Al Saleem air base wasnt liberated in January 1991.

Yeah I just realised that, it didn't kick off proper until well into February

What a muppet yes this is the same bloke I have been going on about in the Walt thread in the NAAFI bar

seanbean said:
I had no idea infantry companies were so small during OP GRANBY...
The only members of 2RGJ to serve on Op Granby were Anti-Tank pl from sp coy. The text that says A Coy is bull as A Coy were in NI at the time (Omagh) on a residential. Also, the only group i know who use BTN instead of Bn are the waltish loyalist knuckle dragging muppets of NI.

CDT_Dodger said:
seanbean said:
The only members of 2RGJ to serve on Op Granby were Anti-Tank pl from sp coy. The text that says A Coy is bull as A Coy were in NI at the time (Omagh) on a residential. Also, the only group i know who use BTN instead of Bn are the waltish loyalist knuckle dragging muppets of NI.
Thanks Dodger mate

I didnt think anybody had SLRs in Op. Granby?

Were there any Bn/Coys of the RGJ there? IIRC I remember a mate of mine who was RGJ saying that it was another war they were missing again, just like Op Corporate

walt_of_the_walts said:

Were there any Bn/Coys of the RGJ there? IIRC I remember a mate of mine who was RGJ saying that it was another war they were missing again, just like Op Corporate
Believe me ... some of us carried the old elephant gun & smudge guns as well

pandaplodder said:
CDT_Dodger said:
seanbean said:
Thanks Dodger mate
Having just seen his photos in the other thread then yes - he could well pass for a fat beer swilling UVF/UDA knacker minus the earings.

Gundolph said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Believe me ... some of us carried the old elephant gun & smudge guns as well
Most of 1 RGJs not 2 RGJs, Anti-tank plt went, attached to the Staffords as well as some guys from the Mortar Plt, and we had SA80s not SLRs.

Thanks for your help, turns out his Royal Marines service number is fake as well.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon :)

pandaplodder said:
Thanks for your help, turns out his Royal Marines service number is fake as well.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon :)
Thank you. Having taken another look at the photo, I am pretty sure the location is NOT Ali Al Saleem airbase, where I was not long after the liberation. It was a rather English setting with lawns etc... plus decisive bombing on the HAS.

Wild guess, the troops in the pic might be R Pioneer Corps, who did a great job.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
That photo could be taken anywhere
There's areas in Cyprus that look like that and any one with a photobucket account could add the text
Plenty of units had the SLR and SMG back then aswell

Aunty Stella said:
And a glaring one besides that, what Brit that was there would call it "Desert Storm"? (although the Walt couldn't even spell that properly)

It was Operation Granby
Agreed. Within that, the ground offensive was Op DESERT SABRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.