Desert Socks

The Nothing to do with Coronavirus thread!
My other half has decided to walk in the Sahara on a guided Cheridee Trek.
My first action was to check that our mortgage is paid off if she does not return. Sorted.
It's gonna be approx 12miles per day, some of it in soft steep dunes. She's happy with her walking boots and fitness, as we are reasonably experienced mountain walkers. Many of you arrsers regale us with tails of epic adventures in foreign hot spots, so has anyone got a recommendation for socks?

Thanks in advance

Stainmaster

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been using Bridgedale 'Coolmax' liner socks with their 'Coolfusion' socks, might seem counter-intuitive but it worked well for me - not quite twelve miles a day but not far off it at a guess.

The Nothing to do with Coronavirus thread!
My other half has decided to walk in the Sahara on a guided Cheridee Trek.
My first action was to check that our mortgage is paid off if she does not return. Sorted.
It's gonna be approx 12miles per day, some of it in soft steep dunes. She's happy with her walking boots and fitness, as we are reasonably experienced mountain walkers. Many of you arrsers regale us with tails of epic adventures in foreign hot spots, so has anyone got a recommendation for socks?

Thanks in advance

Stainmaster
Having done Nijmegen and the Kennedy-Sittard marches 3 times plus loads of other marches, there is little point in going of other peoples recommendations about socks, what works for some wont work for others, learning to tape up her feet will save her a lot of grief. Some people stick half a jar of vaseline down their socks, others use a ton of talc, she'll just have to do some trial and error until she finds what works for her.

Edit i cant remember the name of the stuff and im trying to google it at the moment, but its like a glue that you paint on your feet, that stuff was pretty good.

Sahara, you say?

Socks, you say?

Available in English.

Not from experience, but they look the mutts.

Thanks Gents, good shot Charlie 4, just had a look at those.
Spanish outdoor kit is good. I found a 'thermarest' type sleep mat halfway down a snow slope (I reckon the person who dropped it had more sense/not enough nuts to climb down to get it) that was made by a Spanish company. It was superior to my thermarest, and did me for twenty years until some scrote nicked it.

She'll be even happier if you buy her a couple pairs of Merrell Moab 2 mid ventilator (perhaps an extra pair of their MQC 2 Tacticals if she wants a full height boot sometimes) and a dozen pairs of their merino hiking socks.

Me? Being old fashioned, I like a bit of moleskin in my dessies at times, but prefer my junglies.

She'll be even happier if you buy her a couple pairs of Merrell Moab 2 mid ventilator (perhaps an extra pair of their MQC 2 Tacticals if she wants a full height boot sometimes) and a dozen pairs of their merino hiking socks.

Me? Being old fashioned, I like a bit of moleskin in my dessies at times, but prefer my junglies.
Yes, I'd agree.

@Stainmaster have a look at the Marathon Des Sables website as they have some decent information and a kit shop which would give you a good indication what desert marathoners wear and carry.

On the feet I would favour some lightweight boots, merino socks and most importantly the lightweight desert gaiters that you can get in the online shop. The gaiters work wonders at keeping the sandpit away from inside your footwear and thus your feet do not get rubbed with 80 grit sandpaper all day long - if she is nifty with a sewing machine she could make her own gaiters.

Wool socks and gaiters.

Remember to air the ones you're not wearing.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
most importantly the lightweight desert gaiters that you can get in the online shop. The gaiters work wonders at keeping the sandpit away from inside your footwear and thus your feet do not get rubbed with 80 grit sandpaper all day long - if she is nifty with a sewing machine she could make her own gaiters.
Black nasty.

Black nasty.
That works, but.........

Leukoplast sleek tape is/was good for feet related matters - got the tip from a Podiatrist. *1

For taping up body parts to deal,with strains, pulls and weakness caused by old muscle damage Kinesiology Tape is very useful. Best bought in bulk for cheapness..*2

Notes:

1. Sleek is comparable to black nasty for its adhesive qualities. Podiatrists use it on the soles of feet where it can stay in place for days.

2. I used to look at people using K tape as being similar to vegans. I banged up my right knee a couple of years ago and it still has not healed fully so I gave it a try. ‘Kin marvellous stuff, I must now be a meat eating vegan. It works very well at supporting my knee injury and there is a noticeable difference in discomfort between having it applied and not. It also has very good adhesion properties and can be placed on areas where kit might cause chaffing, or for muscle support be lemft in situ for a couple of days.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I have an old sleep mat (made in Spain) that I requisitioned years ago, it's a bit old and worn but it's yours for Dm50.

Latest Threads