Desert Rats Diary - Radio 4

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Murielson, Feb 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard trailer for this on Radio 5 this morning and thought some may be interested:

Desert Rats Diary
    Radio 4
    2000 this evening and 16 Feb
    2 part radio prog

From an old colonial hotel on the banks of the Shatt al Arab River, the Desert Rats go about the business of reclaiming Basra City from years of devastation. Stephen Grey has been given exclusive access to their inner circles, and for the last several months has been following their work in southern Iraq. He reports from the frontline - where being bricked and mortared is a way of life.
  2. I missed this.. anyone know if it's available on the website? I had a look, but cant see it.

Had to laugh.. there's a guy on there with a directional mic, pointing it into the G2 cell from the ops room as we discussed certain things which really dont want to have made it onto the tape! ;)
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Listened to it. Better than I expected - the reporter obviously got looked after well and was allowed good access. He portrayed us in a good light although slightly dramatically, no doubt for the benefit of non mil listeners.
  4. It wasn't bad at all.

Only point I'd raise is that he never got down to ground level - I think Lt-Col was the lowest rank he spoke to. Obviously, it's an ongoing series, so maybe he'll get the blokes' perspective in later broadcasts, but I think it would be a shame if he stuck to talking to senior officers at Bde and BG level.
  5. Smithie,

just to highlight he did interview some jocks (although unless you are from Aberdeen or spent time with the jockery, you wouldna have a scobbie) and was very good - in that the comments were unguarded and straight to the point.

Thought it was excellent and looking forward to next week.

sorry to sound like a cheerleader, but most of last week focused on my old mob so was quite chuffed!

think he is off to spend time with Scots DG's next week.
  6. I stand corrected. Must have been on the phone at that point!

7. Blue Mafia rule....
  8. I'm not even gonna start.... :D
  9. I'm not sure if this is the same program under a different name, it looks pretty similar, but Basra Diary is being broadcast on the World Service at various times on Thursday.