Desert Rats and Geneaology

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No_Mercy, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    im still finding my way this site, so i hope this is the right section..

I have a question i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with.

My grand-dad "John Mcglaughlin" was one for the orignal desert rats figthing against Rommel in the desert.. he even used to drive for Montgomery...

Even though i know this, thats all the family know..
    My mother/his daughter, was put in to care at the age of 3 in (1950)
    when john Mcglaughlin died..

My mother spend 16 yrs in care, her mother had ran off with a lorry driver, and has never been seen since, but now we know she has died too

Question, im joining the Army Infantry this year, is it possible to findout information from the army records being a soldier, that you wouldnt get on civvy street...

I know he came from fraserburgh, scotland
    but birthdate's etc, i know nothing else

any advice would be great

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Do you have your mothers birth certificate
    From that you can get their full names
    Use these to try and locate their wedding certificate in the local records dept
    If he was in the Army when they married his service number will be on it (where I got my grandads from)
    You can use this and write to the records office in Glasgow and get his records
    There might be some medals for you to claim aswell

Hope this helps there are some real experts on here though who might help you delve deeper
  3. Post your Mum's maiden name (or PM me if you like), and also where he died if you know it, and I'll have a look on Ancestry for the various certificates and other info.

They just stung me for an £85 subscription because I forgot I've gone as far as I can with my own family research, so you may as well get some value from it.

You may need to look at the'Scotland's People' website, if there's a strong Fraserburgh connection.