Desert Rat grandfather wrestles money back from cashpoint

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by msr, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

When a pair of crooks flanked 77-year-old Ernest Wotton as he withdrew some money from a cashpoint, they must have assumed he would be an easy target.

But they hadn't anticipated how fleet of foot he was nor, more importantly, the fact that he was a former Desert Rat.

As soon as one of the men grabbed £100 of the grandfather-of-four's precious pension money and ran off, he gave chase and caught up with him after a 100-yard sprint.

He then grabbed the shocked thief by the arm and wrenched away the wad of notes before the man escaped.

Afterwards, the pensioner jogged back to his wife, Doreen, 74, who was waiting for him outside a shop, completely unaware of his heroics.

'My blood immediately boiled,' said Mr Wotton, a former lance bombardier with the Royal Horse Artillery, which was attached to the 7th Armoured Division - nicknamed the Desert Rats - during his national service between 1948 and 1950.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1085116/Desert-Rat-grandfather-wrestles-money-cashpoint-thief-amazing-100-metre-sprint.html

msr

2. I will be 77 in the year 2042 by which time the world will be a much nastier place. I'm not looking forward to it.

3. Good for him; a bold man in these days of mindless violence.

4. Mr Wotton.................... I salute you sir!!

5. I look forward to his immediate arrest for assault and for breaching the human rights of his 'victim'.