Builds Desert group build 1/32 scale Airfix Crusader tank and multipose Infantry figures.

As the Tamiya Marder1 awaits it's panzer colours to arrive, I'm cracking on with the next kit in the stash. It's a re issue of a very old one, so don't expect too much...
box art.jpg

the instructions give a hint to its basic nature.
simple and basic suspension instructions.jpg

the tracks come in two lengths per side, thin, tiny joining pins, elastic band type.
wheels on two piece tracks.jpg

the only way to deal with these effectively, (and they are not much wider than a 1/76 tiger tank track)
wrap and mark.
track staple a.jpg

use a paper staple gun, placing the two staples either side of the run of track guides in the centre line of the track, then crush the staples flat with a pair of rat nosed pliers.
track staple b.jpg

carefully pick out the masking tape taking care not to disturb the staple.
the hull inverted and painted in Halfords finest grey primer paint direct from the aerosol can. The sprockets are reinforced by inserting thick stretched sprue through a hole drilled right through the center of the sprocket wheel hub all the way through to the inside of the hull. This then holds the sprocket from bending under the pressure of the rubber band tracks.
lower hull and track in grey primer.jpg

moving along, the ridges on the air inlet filters should be there, apparently.
air intake ridge line le3ft side.jpg

what should not be there is that blasted mold line on the air inlet trunking, only close ups show.

flash on part 130, the spare track link rack, to be fair, it's the only real flash I've had to remove.
flash on part 130.jpg

flash removed from part 130 and the drivers hatch in position.
flash removed from 130 and drivers hatch.jpg

NSP

LE
Hang on a minute - five minutes ago you were building a bloody Marder.

Is there no end to your prolificacy...??!!!

it's waiting for paint. on order from Vellejo.

so far so good, I'm completing the upper hull and turret build before it gets a coat of primer.
tally so far A.jpg

As the Tamiya Marder1 awaits it's panzer colours to arrive, I'm cracking on with the next kit in the stash. It's a re issue of a very old one, so don't expect too much...
View attachment 553354
the instructions give a hint to its basic nature.
View attachment 553355
the tracks come in two lengths per side, thin, tiny joining pins, elastic band type.
View attachment 553356
the only way to deal with these effectively, (and they are not much wider than a 1/76 tiger tank track)
wrap and mark.
View attachment 553357
use a paper staple gun, placing the two staples either side of the run of track guides in the centre line of the track, then crush the staples flat with a pair of rat nosed pliers.
View attachment 553359
What's with the masking tape?
BTW, TWAW part eight, The Desert, just started on Yesterday channel.

the tape on the track is just to hold the two part together while you position it in the stapler, otherwise you need three hands.

the air filters with the ridge, lucky I checked before sanding them flush.
air intakes.jpg

Nick Moran talks about them here.

the Hull in factory green, this will provide the undercolour that will be peeking through the worn off desert camouflage paint.
hull painted green.jpg

What's with the masking tape?
BTW, TWAW part eight, The Desert, just started on Yesterday channel.

good documentary that, one of the best presented world at war episodes, particularly like seeing O'connor being interviewed, saying how he blames himself for not pushing on to tripoli, despite orders from the Prime minister to halve his forces for Greece, A decent man, who unlike a few I've known, blame everyone and everything but themselves.

the salt technique in it's first stage. Dark green undercolour Covering of salt.
salt a.jpg

stage B, faded olive green over the salt. Wait for that to dry before brushing off the salt.
salt b.jpg

good documentary that, one of the best presented world at war episodes, particularly like seeing O'connor being interviewed, saying how he blames himself for not pushing on to tripoli, despite orders from the Prime minister to halve his forces for Greece, A decent man, who unlike a few I've known, blame everyone and everything but themselves.
Wasn’t O’Conner taken as a POW and held in Italy.

QUOTE="robinrocket111, post: 10624286, member: 143524"]
Wasn’t O’Conner taken as a POW and held in Italy.
[/QUOTE]
yes but they released him in time for the documentary interview.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Excellent work that man!
thank you very much, It's worth all the effort, those subtle effects.

Next stage, Portland stone in these proportions. 1st Armoured Division.
painting instructions.jpg

there will be two salt stages to that as well, Portland stone under light stone.
salt B hull side rear.jpg

masked up and given a coat of Portland Stone.
salt c.jpg

coat of light stone over fresh salt.
salt d.jpg

de masked and the salt waiting to be brushed off after it is all dry.
de masked djpg.jpg

Latest Threads